Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to cover Sadie's crate during the day when it's nap time? It's the only thing that seems to work...if we leave it uncovered, she's distracted and sees us walking around and whines more. If we cover it and leave the TV on so she can hear voices, she seems better. Anyone else cover the crate at nap time??

·
Registered
141 Posts
We don't do it with Charlie because he'll pull it into the crate and eat it. We used to have a beagle we did it with though. It worked great for him, especially if we were somewhere away from home, he would settle right down.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We cover Kirby's crate w/a bath towel when we go to work (we thought if he and Dex could see each other it may bother them. Sometimes we comehome and the towel is on the ground, but most of the time it's still on the crate. I don't know if he likes it or not...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
like Gracielou said just make sure there's good airflow, i use the airline type kennels so when we're home I cover just the front of the crate and all 3 doodles will settle down quickly then and sleep.

look at it this way, you have a 2year old child again...what did you do with your child when it was nap time? put him in a crib or his bed and close the door and blinds perhaps?

OH we do NOT stay quiet in this house for our doodles to nap.

Sadie, it's a trial and error experience hahahhaa

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie has a wire type crate and I have a light blanket over the top and one side. The other side faces the wall and the ends are open for circulation. He does not pull or chew on it.

Deb

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sam now has a wire crate and I cover 2 sides with a bath towel. As he's still only little (but growing ever so quickly :shock: ), I use a divider panel to block off half the crate. He's pretty good and does not pull or chew on this (yet!). I don't cover the front and rear of the crate so there's good airflow. On a warm day, he's in there with a few toys and no bedding. On cooler days, or at night, I put a folded bath towel on the floor. This also helps with noise insulation as the little doodle tends to be a restless sleeper and floor of his crate is a plastic tray. If he's too hot, he will shuffle his bedding to one side and simply sleep on the bare plastic.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because she's not completely housebroken yet and we want to get her used to it for when we're not home. We don't only want it to be a place she goes when we're gone. We want it to be her safe place, her den, and a place that she has positive associations with.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have some thoghts for you then...

perhaps for the potty training you would want to tether her to you with a leash throughout the day. you can search or post another thread for detailed advice (there is a search function above!)

as far as getting used to it and it becoming her den etc... I would highly suggest crating her at night and leaving the crate nearby and opened during thes one day with a lovely tshirt of your and a few fluffy toys in it.
Some use two crates one in the bedroom and one in the primary living area so she has a "den" nearby. You can also search above for multiple crate threads!!

Hope this is helpful :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts