Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Archie has grown taller he realized he can put his paws on the counter and steal stuff. We've GOT to put an end to this. Suggestions please!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
back to basics...

ALL behaviour can be deal with in one of two ways:

Positive reinforcement - doing things right, commanded or not, praise and treat.

Negative reinforcement - doing things wrong, inappropriate, or otherwise unacceptable. A correction and scold then to put things right, an immediate command to provide positive reinforcement.

If those dont work, go back to the essentials of the leadership traits and have him understand. I found that when Bandit strats strying form obedience, he is testing the waters for pecking order.

The leadership traits include things like:
Having the dog eat last, in a down-stay in an adjacent room while at the table.
Never allowing them to enter a room/door/etc before you.
Never stepping over them, but making them move for you to pass.
At minimum 30 minute down-stay daily. Meal times are ideal.

Its works best to have the most submissive person in your home give the commands. We had a problem with my son(12) being so timid that Bandit would try to dominate him. They worked it out and Kyren found that he can exert his commands and they will be followed.

HTH

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
If you are having this trouble, you might want to go back to tethering your dog for a few days and set him up with counter stuff...and you being nearby to catch him in the act.

I have read that you can put a cookie sheet with noisy things (spoons, lids, etc.) just off the edge of the counter, when he jumps up the cookie sheet falls and scares him.

Short of watching him carefully and catching him in the act...it is a tough thing to train because if you try to punish after the fact, he won't get it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've heard the thing about the cookie sheet that Jac mentioned too. In addition, you can put duct tape or wide masking tape, sticky side up along the edge of the counter and when they put their feet up there, the tape sticks to them. I tried that with Doc and he did not like that. The tape stuck to him and came down with him. I had to get it off his feet. I used wide masking tape and curled the edges on the end under so it would stick to the counter on the ends but not in the middle (it's hard to explain so I hope you understand what I mean :? )

Another suggestion I heard was to put mousetraps on the counter. It doesn't hurt them, just scares them.

I also set Doc up a few times by leaving something out on the counter and watching out of the corner of my eye from a distance. As soon as he got up there, I ran towards him and yelled "NO, OFF".

Doc doesn't do it anymore, but he puts his nose up to the counter and sniffs and he might try it again sometime.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had three counter surfers! My old english sheepdog, Bailey, used to steal butter and cream cheese off the counter (two weeks of diarrhea after the day I planned to make a cheesecake!). My vet suggested I bait him with butter wrappers and cheese wrappers coated with cayenne and set on the edge of the counter. He took one two or three times and never did it again.

With my doods I've used the "bagel bopper," suggested by Jody Rosengarten in her book, Rover, Don't Roll Over. You tie a string around a bagel (with a little cream cheese) and the other end of the string to an empty metal can into which you have put about 20 pennies. Set it up with the can back on the counter about a foot or so, and the bagel just at the edge. Important: leave the room. Dood grabs bagel, and is instantly startled and you are instantly alerted. Try it with cheese, a peanut butter filled pill bottle.....etc. on different surfaces around the kitchen every day for a few days.

One note: until you get this problem solved be extra vigilant about sharp knives..... Two of my dogs swiped knives off of the counter. We were lucky to get them back safely, but my vet has assured me that he has removed butcher knives from the tummies of labs.

One other note: I learned with Bailey that whenever I was in the kitchen and he was, of course, right at my feet, to correct him ( just a word) whenever he raised his nose toward the counter. This may sound really strict, but it is a powerful message that you are in charge. I have continued this with the doods and they are learning to keep their noses down around the table, the counters and wherever I may have set down a cup of coffee, etc. If the nose can't go up, you've got no problems at all....but this one takes a lot of time and total consistency. Now, I just say, "uhn-uh, Get your nose down," and they know to do it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Good point about the nose sniffing 2Doodsmom. I also tell Doc "eh-eh" when he's sniffing around, and I make him leave my space when I am working in the kitchen and he's nosing around.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestions from the back to basic training to the deterrents...I'm ready to try them ALL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts