Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Not being publicized anywhere, I just stumbled upon it on the blogs:

The recalled food is Kirkland Signature Super Premium Canned Food, item # 38436, best buy dates of Aug. 21 08 to April 15 of 09.

Full Story from http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2007/ ... co-speaks/

A reader of this blog told us yesterday that her local Costco was pulling pet food off its shelves, and an employee said it was because the food was "bad." None of the Costco Kirkland brand foods had been recalled at that time.

I contacted Costco but received a "no comment" response, along with a statement that someone else could contact me who could answer my questions.

Today at around 4 PM Pacific Time, I heard from Craig Wilson, Vice President, Food Safety and Quality Assurance for Costco.

He said Costco was informed last Friday at around 4 PM by American Nutrition, which manufactures their canned dog food (they do not make a canned cat food), that some of the Wilbur-Ellis melamine-contaminated rice protein powder had been used to manufacture some foods in Costco's Kirkland Signatures pet food line. He said Costco did not suspect their foods might have a problem prior to this because they were unaware that any ingredients in their food came from China, or that there was rice protein powder in any of their foods. Rice protein powder is not listed on the label; the label ingredient in question is "rice flour."

After hearing from American Nutrition, he immediately ordered all suspect foods removed from the shelves in all Costco stores nationwide. "Even with no test results yet from American Nutrition, I pulled it nationwide," he said.

During this afternoon's FDA press conference, CBS News' Debbye Turner, a veterinarian, asked the FDA's David Elder if there were any more recalls planned or pending. Elder answered no, he wasn't aware of any further pet food recalls that were planned at this time. He stressed the investigation was still open, and that they'd keep following the trail.

While Costco did not officially notify the FDA it was recalling the food until around 3 PM Pacific Time today, well after the press conference had ended, according to Wilson the FDA had already tested Kirkland pet foods, not subject at this time to any recalls whatsoever, and discovered one of them contained melamine.

Wilson stressed that Costco acted with caution to prevent harm to any pets who might eat the food. They believed their food was safe, and American Nutrition's own tests did not detect melamine in the food. It was FDA testing that detected the contamination. Wilson said that American Nutrition is working with the FDA, and that "many" other brands are involved, "not just Costco."

"The affected dates are from August '06-April '07," he said. "I'm sending a letter out to each and every person who purchased the dog food during the recall period and to make sure they get a full refund. There have been no out of the ordinary reports of illnesses on any of our Kirkland dogs."

Costco, he said, is not relying on outside testing to assure the safety of their pet foods. "We are testing everything, absolutely everything, internally. Pet food's under tremendous scrutiny right now." He said this includes their dry pet foods as well as canned, although they do not contain rice flour.

The recalled food is Kirkland Signature Super Premium Canned Food, item # 38436, best buy dates of Aug. 21 08 to April 15 of 09.

I wrote the FDA immediately after the press conference asking about the statement Capt. Elder made about there being no planned further recalls, and pointing out the Costco recall that had been announced that day. In an email at 2:34 pm PT this afternoon, the FDA's Michael Herndon said, "As Captain Elder said on the call we are not aware of any other recalls at this time."

I wrote back asking for clarification, and at 3:03 pm PT, received another email, stating, "We have not received any information from Costco regarding a recall so far today." He did not respond to further emails.

The question of how the FDA could state that they were not aware of any pending recalls in their afternoon press conference when they had already detected melamine in un-recalled foods - and as Wilson said, apparently not just in the Costco foods - remains an open one.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Holy cr%p - this is getting so scary.......................

Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
This is like watching a damn movie!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Costco has not posted the recall on their website, which I think is terrible. They feel it is enough that letters were sent to members who bought the item. I sent an email telling them how I felt (especially noting the fact that members would be feeding the food in question to their dogs while the letters were in the mail waiting to be received) and just received a generic response back with a final statement to call American Nutrition with questions. An aboslutely terrible way to manage a recall of their own line of food. My bag of Kirkland dry food is in the garage and will definitely be returned soon.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
are we certain that costco has been recalled? (I dont feed, just wondering out loud) just because its on a blog doesnt mean its real (sorry I am always the doubter!!)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think it was the canned that has been recalled.

Recall for Costco Kirkland Signature Dog Food

This A+ FRR Pet Nutrition FAQ discusses the recall of a Kirkland Signature dog food sold through Costco stores.

A Kirkland Signature dog food brand sold through Costco has been recalled after American Nutrition initiated its own recall on April 26, 2007, for all canned pet food products made in its plant that contain rice protein concentrate due to potential melamine contamination.

Costco's Kirkland Signature Super Premium Dog 2-Flavor Variety Pack, which consists of Lamb and Rice Canned food for Dogs and Chicken and Rice Canned food for Dogs, has been recalled. The recalled Costco Kirkland Signature dog food is for the Super Premium Dog 2-Flavor Variety Pack (24-pack of 14 oz. canned dog food cans) with best by date codes between Aug 21, 2008, and April 15, 2009.

At this time, no other Costco Kirkland Signature pet foods or treats are affected by the recall. We will update this page with any news as it becomes available

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mickey!
I am a doubter, too! I emailed Costc to tell them I thought it was terrible not to have the recall listed directly on their website. The email response was basically a form letter stating the food recalled (the canned food Annie mentions) and the last sentence said to contact American Nutrition with questions. :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yeah, I'd write back a form letter and say...thanks for the (non) information and the (lack of) concern...but my contact will be to my most efficient legal counsel. We'll be in touch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts