Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby is going to morrow to be neutered. When I asked how much they said $55 forthe blood work and $210 for the neutering. I thought that is too high. Then I asked if the males are $210 how much willit be to spay Lani, she looked it up and it is $220 for females. It seems to me that neutering should be considerably less since it is not an abdominal surgery. :?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree....My cat was only $45 to neuter She siad it would be "much more" to spay a cat because it is surgery.....I'll ask the vet tomorrow when we go in how much it will be to neuter Calvin and let you know what she says..Seems a bit high....Leslie

·
Registered
260 Posts
part of the cost might be pre-anesthesia bloodwork i would imagine. i have no idea how much that would cost, but it is a pretty good idea to have it done. if they detect anything out of whack they can adjust the anesthetic so the puppy won't have any problems. if they use IV fluids that can be pricey, and if they're going to keep him overnight they might be planning on charging a boarding fee, too. you might want to ask for an itemized list of the charges, they should be able to provide you with that information in advance.

-em
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bierdoctor/

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lisa, when I had my girls spayed, the vet said that the spay was $75 but the blood work was $80 and the IV was something like $120...and she explained why the blood work and IV were important...so the total was high...same with the neutering...when you break it down the actual operation is not the most expensive part. I'd ask for a break down of charges...and compare with other vets in the area.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I will ask for an itimized bill. I have never had a male dog before only cats (they were cheap 7 years ago compared to this). The cost really doesn't matter because we love our vet! Luckily we can afford it and did not have to put brakes on our car today! :D Will check back when we get Toby home on Thursday. Lani's spay will seem cheap when we have her done>

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Marty, he will have to stay overnight. If we wanted to take him we would have to sign papers stating that they are not responsible if anything goes wrong once he leaves. With Lani we decided it was best to keep him there overnight to limit his activity. It will be weird not having him here!
:cry:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lani has been lost all day. When I came home I wook her to Petsmart and we walked out $65 poorer! She misses her boy. I called over tot he vet office and they said he was up and walking around his cage. Can't wait to get him home tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ahhh, poor girl! It's too bad you couldn't have had them both done at the same time. It's amazing how empty the house is when one dog is gone. I wish our Anna was buddies with Jorja but someday we'll get a buddy that Jorja can romp with.

Hang in there, Lisa and Lani, the day is close to being over and Toby will be home again, as ornery as ever. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the little shoe stealer will be home soon, I just never realized how quickly they entwine themselves in your heart!!! It hasn't even been 2 months :shock:, I can't imagine life without either of them! I think it will be harder when Lani goes in, when ever that will be is anyones guess. Thanks for the good thoughts. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called last night and they said he was up and walking around his cage. I'm trying to decide if I should leave him till just before they close tonight. Lani will want to play with him so I htink a little more alone time might be good for him. I just want to get him home, Lani wants to know where her boy is! I tool her for a walk last night and when we came back she ran around looking fo him. :( Don't know what to do?!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Toby is home!!! It hasn't slowed him down much. With Lani around it is hard to keep him down. Doc said he was a very good patient. Toby came up to my husband and pushed his head between his knees and just wanted a good old scratch, he agrees it is good to be home! :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
I forgot to post yesterday but the vet said Archie is doing just fine. We could have picked him up but we know he and Chester couldn't possible not run and wrestle so we'll get him today. I think Chester was giving us dirty looks as if to say "hey, where is my dog?".

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear that Archie is doing well! How big is he now? Toby is between 38 and 40 pounds.

Lani and Toby don't seem to be able to contain themselves. Last night we made sure they went outside alone to prevent wrestling. Today (even last night) he acts as though nothing happened. Makes me feel better that he is not uncomfortable. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts