Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wonderful 8 month old labradoodle puppy (Payton) who is extremely smart and well behaved...that is until we get around new people or dogs. Payton LOVES them and gets so excited that he cannot listen to me! HELP! He jumps on people, excessively pulls at the collar/leash, and lurches forward to go see other dogs. At 65lbs, this scares them. :shock: I've tried everything including sit stay, no, off, ect. and he does great until we're in public...and then he doesn't pay attention to me. I know it sounds cruel, but I'm thinking that a week with a pinch collar would cure our problem. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Is a pinch collar cruel? Any other ideas? HELP!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have/had the exact same problem with Sage (she is 6 months old). She is an absolute obedient angel when we are at home or on a walk----until she sees people or other dogs. I got a tiny bit of success with her if I saw the person/dog first, from a distance. Then I would start talking to Sage and telling her to "leave it" or "stay heel" and if I kept saying that the whole time, she would (sometimes) be more manageable. Most of the time I just avoided people or went the other direction if there was a dog etc. I really didn't like doing that since I knew that it wasn't really helping the problem. On the advice of many people (including our trainer), we purchased a pinch collar, and immediate relief. The day after I picked it up for her we were able to walk with a friend of mine who has a dog that Sage LOVES to play with and it went great. That NEVER could have occured if I didn't have her on a pinch collar. I say go for it!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
As far as being on a leash.....the "gentle leader" helps with that. My dog does the same thing as yours but when he is on the gentle leader he doesnt pull or jump or get carried away. If you arent familiar with the gentle leader it's a collar that goes around their nose and neck. When the collar is on they cannot pull or lunge or jump. You are in control of them. I bought mine at PetSmart for $25 and that money was well spent! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
without a doubt, the pinch collar is like power steering and it ROCKS! Not cruel at all. He listens and with enough practice, he has begun to be weaned off of it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I couldn't walk Chester with out the prong coller. I love the comparision to power steering. As soon as he hears the chain jingle he comes running and is ready to go...so obviously it doesn't hurt him at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
payton update

Well, we went to PetSmart yesterday to get a pinch collar and the trainer talked me into trying the "gentle leader". It's AMAZING! Payton doesn't feel completely comfortable in it yet, but he loves all of the walks that he's getting to go on. I feel so confident with it that we've been trying to find people and dogs while on our walks so that we can greet them nicely! It definetly stops the pulling! Thanks for all of your feedback and I'll keep you posted on our progress. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
woohooo Im glad you got the gentle leader. The first week I bought mine Leno didnt like it too much either...he would try to get it off with his paw..but I would say "leave it".......so it might take some time!! But now when he sees me grab it he knows it means he is getting a long walk :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Biscuit has a prong. I even put him in it when he needs to calm down. He behaves much better with it on and I never take him out without it. He has more of a problem with pulling and choking himself with his flat collar. He has never pulled with the pinch. He's a big dog and I feel secure with him on the prong. I do agree, it's like power steering for dogs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I experienced this with my 2 doodles and the trainer has a brilliant way of stopping the jumping!! basically everytime your doodle jumps hold their paws and talk nicely to them as if this was normal for as long as you can a few minute should be enough- the point being they get tired of being on only 2 legs and try to pull away but hold on for a few further minutes. Get at least 4/5 different people to do the same time - they will get to know that when they jump their paws get held and they dont like it so they wont do it !!

worked with our 2 great!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That's a new one on me, I've never heard of that one but makes since.

I LOVE my gentle leader!! I've never seen anything work like the gentle leader :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts