Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a question about Cooper's ear. He shakes his head alot, like his ears are bothering him. I clean his ears w/a solution from the vet. They don't smell bad, and I don't think he has any mites. But he shakes his head so often, that he has formed a large bump on the tip of his left ear. It is really hard, and he doesn't like me to touch it, like it hurts. I shaved around it to try to get a better look, but really it's just a big bump, I don't know how else to explain it. I'm not sure what to do about it, it's not bloody, but like I said, I think it hurts. Any suggestions??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
He probably started with a yeast infection in his ear--Dakota had that about 6 weeks ago and was shaking his head constantly. The shaking probably caused him to break a blood vessle. There would be no blood on the outside, just a hard lump in the ear that grows. I'm just guessing--that's what our son's dog has right now. If so, the vet will have to drain it.
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jess, has the vet seen this lump? If not, I'd make an appointment right away...it is always a real possibility that the lump is nothing of much concern, but the way he is shaking his head tells me that he is feeling something and whether that something is pain, irriation, tingling, etc...we can't know...maybe it even affects his balance...better safe than sorry...lumps are never something to fool around with, in my opinion. I'd see the vet.
However, if you have already seent he vet and (s)he says it is residual effects of the ear infection, then okay...but gosh, could be a tick even! I'd want to know.
Keep us posted!
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope you've been to the vet by the time this is posted. I had a similar experience -- shaking the head/ear. It turns out the dog shook herself so hard she broke a blood vessel in the ear. I've heard this is not uncommon in dogs. The vet was pretty grim and suggested surgery. However, antibiotics helped us. I hope your guy is better now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.