Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Well, Bailey is 10 months old and still not heeling despite my consistent training of various methods described on this forum and in many books. We were in Banff yesterday (a small town in the mountains) and he pulled constantly up and down the boulevard. It was not enjoyable at all. He pulls so bad that my hands would be raw if I didn't have a padded leash. My father-in-law used to walk my other dog 4 times a day and he avoids walking Bailey because he can't control him.

So...I finally gave in and went to get a Halti or Gentle Leader.

I went to Pet Planet and the man there sells Control Ease Head Collars instead. He says they are basically the same as a halti.

Does anyone have any experience with the Control Ease? Negatives or positives about it? I find it was easy to put on. We had our first walk without pulling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT, it was hot today and Bailey had had his off leash run already, so I'm not sure if the Control Ease worked or he was just tired and hot. I'm hoping it's the Control Ease...it would be a miracle if it works and I will wonder what took me so long to get it.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
we had a halti nose thing for Annabelle, all she did was flip around like an alligator being snared :shock:

I got her the halti harness and it works much better, plus she can't back out of it - good safety feature since she liked to try to back out of her collar :roll:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've never heard of that type of collar. Oliver still pulls occasionally. We have been persistant with the training in hopes he will get better. We do lots of loves and treats. He seems to be doing well unless another dog is in view. He sooooo wants to play with other dogs :D That seems to be our biggest problem. He's all good when it is the two of us. Keep us posted about the collar.

I noticed you are also in Calgary. Me too. What area are you in? Perhaps we've seen you off-leash and didn't even know it. :D Oliver is 7 months old.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
At the urging of our trainer we bought the Halti for Tanner (we previously had the gentle leader).

He does not like it and for the 1st block he does act like an alligator in a snare but after the first block he is an angel.

We did it so that when we take Tanner in a crowd of people we will have more control. We will be moving to a retirement community and I could just see that we might need it there. While it is a very active community, I suspect that we could meet the occasional senior with a walker or such. :roll:

I don't use it on every walk but I do use it several times a week. Sometimes just having it on but connecting to his regular collar helps too!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I will let you know how our second walk goes. I'm really counting on this. If it goes as walk #1 did I think I will cry with joy. I too hope to only use it in certain situations - like in Banff yesterday. Walking down the boulevard looking at shops and weaving in out of all the people and other dogs. It was a nightmare with all his pulling.

Kimberley - finally a fellow Calgarian!!!!! Your doodle is beautiful - where did you get yours?

We are in the Evergreen area in the SW and go to the off leash right by Spruce Meadows. We usually go at 8:30am after I drop my boys off at school. With summer poking through the clouds we hope to go to the off leash at Southland and Sandy Beach so he can learn to swim!! Where are you?

·
Registered
429 Posts
doodleheaven said:
Thanks everyone. I will let you know how our second walk goes. I'm really counting on this. If it goes as walk #1 did I think I will cry with joy. I too hope to only use it in certain situations - like in Banff yesterday. Walking down the boulevard looking at shops and weaving in out of all the people and other dogs. It was a nightmare with all his pulling.

Kimberley - finally a fellow Calgarian!!!!! Your doodle is beautiful - where did you get yours?

We are in the Evergreen area in the SW and go to the off leash right by Spruce Meadows. We usually go at 8:30am after I drop my boys off at school. With summer poking through the clouds we hope to go to the off leash at Southland and Sandy Beach so he can learn to swim!! Where are you?
I am in Country Hills NW. We go to the off-leash by Beddingon Trail. Oliver is from a Calgary based breeder in the NW. My sister is in Bridlewood (not far from Evergreen). We sometimes do walk by Spuce Meadows with my sister and her little Boston Terrier. I remember you inquiring about Guardian Dogs a while back. Was it from a breeder in the NW? Olivers mom and dad are both chocolates and have chocolate names.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMG Kimberley!! I believe I was originally going to be the guardian for the same breeder. She had a beautiful girl named Callebeau and was going to breed her with Bernard. We were going to continue the tradition and had other chocolate names picked out for our baby. It's funny, because when I saw your avatar and knowing you were from Calgary I wondered if you had one of her babies. I know this must be the same breeder. I completely fell in love with the picture of Callebeau (sp?). But then, I just couldn't get my husband on board with the whole guardianship thing and we couldn't get our heads around the price of one of these doodles so ended up getting an F1 labradoodle from a different breeder. I have always always thought of your breeder though, I thought she was fantastic even though I only knew her through the phone and emails. I've even thought if I get a second doodle I would reconsider being a guardian for her, she seemed so wonderful and loving about her dogs. Very cool...we will have to meet if you come up this way!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow, it sure is the same breeder. Yes Oliver is a Benard-Callebaut puppy. "Callie had a litter in November 18th. We were supposed to get a puppy from another one of this breeders dogs 'Blossom' a little apricot beauty and Bernard as sire. Blossom had some complications with the litter and it just didn't happen. Callie (Callebaut) was expecting at the time (a pleasant surprise to all) and we were able to adopt one of her puppies. Oliver looks just like her I think. We have been to her house and have met all of the dogs. They are fabulous and all have amazing temperments. They are all so beautiful too as is Carrie the breeder. A very wonderful family. I would recommend them to anyone.

We would like to get another labradoodle in another year or two and we would definately go back. We have also though of gaurdianship.

I will let you know next time Ollie and I venture south. Great to find a fellow Calgarian.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts