Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I see quite a few posts on dog food and some people considering RAW for their dogs as I have been. I've been doing some research and came across this article. I know there is a lot of info out there from owners who are very happy with the RAW diet but I think its also good to get the views of people who are against the diet in order to make an educated decision. It's worth a read:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_6_67/ai_n13788104

Best,
Sarah

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks... very interesting.
Especially considering that the most respected Australian breeder around here is exclusively BARF.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: There will always be Eskimos around to tell the Africans how to deal with a heat wave :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
mtd885 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: There will always be Eskimos around to tell the Africans how to deal with a heat wave :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yup and there will always be Africans around to tell the Eskimos how to deal with a Freeze :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
On the breeder's forum many, many breeders feed raw...even starting their pups out on raw chicken wings at 3-4 weeks! They say that they are never sick and their puppy poop is tiny and doesn't stink!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Yup to each their own, I just cannot imagine feeding my dogs Raw meat and bones, first the thought of disease that could be on the raw meat, that if cooked would be killed off but worse is the thought of a bone splintering and getting caught - very scary to me

I cook our food to DONEEE status before we eat it and I dont' let AB have any that isnt well cooked I will allow her raw veggies if she choose to eat them, she has taken to carrots - likes peas if mixed in with a spoonful of mashed taters and maybe some of that turkey mom and dad had for dinner :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
the jury is still in deliberation in this house on whether to feed raw or go back to homemade diet

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
It will always be cooked in this house,
chicken/some beef/rice/oatmeal/veggies/yogurt/pumpkin and fruit also Canidae
or other equally high quality kibble

·
Registered
235 Posts
No chance ever. I will never take a risk that any of those bad things could happen to my dog from feeding raw. Its gross to me when I think about it. I will find a good food (currently Iams) and stick to it. I am adding one spoon of yogurt once a day, and will get some carrots, but no way to RAW. NO WAY TO THE RAW DIET, NO WAY!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Woohoo Samantha, Daddy's gonna buy you some carrots - I wasnt sure about them and turned my nose up at them until I saw my cousins eating them, now I love them.
I just sit in front of fridge and Momma opens the door and gets me a mini carrot, what a deal !!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I remember in the past my coonhound ate raw every Friday night
cause my neighbor called me up once when my dog wasn't over :shock:

i never knew it......he also brought home a deer leg 2 different times half eaten. and until he was properly trained he'd scarf raw chicken off the counter. he had been a rescue dog i got a the pound for $10 back in 1985
he was so hyper they almost gave him to us for free hahhaaaaaaaa

anyway, i wonder though the longetivity of dogs on RAW

any info?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on the fence about the RAW diet. Like I said above I know there are good arguments on both sides of the fence.

My vet does not recommend it but my aunt will not stop raving about it. She feeds it to her Jack Russels but she also sells it so I feel like there is added pressure :roll: .

Right now my doodles are on EVO, switching to Orijen because it has a puppy formula that is still high protein, no grain and low calcium. I've had to feed them fresh cooked chicken and rice and also pureed veggies and they love it. I would cook for them more and mix w/ kibble but I'm nervous about balancing their diet.

Manchego and Brie LOVE Carrots - but I've read that they cannot digest raw veggies so you should cook them if you are going to give them to Samantha.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Manchego and Brie LOVE Carrots - but I've read that they cannot digest raw veggies so you should cook them if you are going to give them to Samantha.
Our vet actually recommended we feed raw carrots for snacks - our doodles have never had problems. We use baby carrots and snap them in half and give half to each doodle. I still can't believe how much they love them...and that's fine w/me...cheap/healthy snacks!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Since we're talking about pros and cons of the raw diet, this is from another thread when we were discussing bones - raw and cooked. Tykesmom wrote:

as for chicken bones, raw or otherwise, I have to agree with Leslie - the risk just isn't worth it, and there are plenty of alternatives to chicken bones. My boyfriend's mixed breed dog just died with a preforated intestine caused by one of those "safe" raw chicken bones. While they may be digested before they can do any damage MOST of the time, it didn't happen THAT time, and Jim lost a good dog because of it.
Candidae for me!

Leslie

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Leslie,

That's great that your vet recommended raw carrots. These guys love them as treats also but since I read that online I haven't been giving them to them. I don't know your vet but I'm guessing a real person is more reliable than something I've read online :lol:

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts