Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've posted. Buffy is a year old today!!! Our older yellow lab passed away in July, so she has been an "only dog" for a few months. We weren't considering a second dog, until.....

My brother-in-law's secretary's ex-husband wanted to rehome his 10 month old black LD. Apparently the 15 year old son he "bought it for" isn't taking care of it, and the ex-husband isn't a "dog person". The secretary asked around at work and I was referred to her because I have a doodle and I am a "dog person".

At any rate. I'm not sure if I can handle two doodles. I'm not sure Buffy likes him. His name is Pongo and he's adorable. I'll post a photo if I can figure it out. They have been playing dominance games all day. They seem pretty evenly matched, but it's getting old - and slobbery. She has peed in the carpet twice today, right in front of me - something she NEVER does! I'm also having trouble feeding them because Buffy is a grazer and Pongo is a scarfer. I very well may not be cut out for two doodles.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Anyone know anyone in southern Ohio who wants a started doodle? Very sweet dog.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/ ... C01404.jpg

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
he sure is a cutie, I'm sorry it's not working for you, might be your little girl will calm down after he is there for a week, just some getting used to, but if you dont want 2 then keeping him wouldnt be a good thing - I sure hope you can find someone who has the room and time for him and lots of love :)

Good luck

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi,

We rehomed a 2nd doodle recently. The first 1-2 weeks was tough. Dexter (our first dog) and Kirby (our 2nd dog) had to work through the dominance issues. After about 1.5 mos, Kirby seems to be comfortable. We still have some sorting of dominance to do, but it's getting better. So my advice is not to judge is this "will work" until you give Pongo a chance to get comfortable.

One more thing - 10 mos is right in the middle of adolescence, so Pongo is going through that in addition to getting a new home. Are Pongo (and Buffy) neutered?

Of course, you have to figure out if you want a 2nd dog, but try not to judge Pongo on his actions these few weeks.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much. They are starting to wind down now. I'm hoping we will have a quiet night. He really is a sweetie. We'll probably end up keeping him. I just wish Buffy would stop being so nasty. A side of her I haven't seen.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I just wish Buffy would stop being so nasty. A side of her I haven't seen.
Buffy is probably freeked out that another dog is in her house. Make sure you separate them for some time. When we first got Kirby, we would separate them when it got too much. They do have to sort out dominance on their own, but they are both so confused right now that some time apart may help. Also try to not alter Buffy's schedule too much (where she sleeps, etc).[/code]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
When we brought home Peanut...our Max regressed a bit and had a few accidents in the house on and off.

I found feeding them separately for a short while helped but then after a week taught them both how to sit and wait till i said OKAY to eat. Wow what a difference it made as Max used to be a free feeder and Peanut a chow hound....now they both eat at the same times leaving each other's food alone but it took awhile for that to happen hahahhaa

I also fostered a 3rd doodle for 2 weeks...Max again decided to have a few accidents the first 2 days then stopped.

it was an adjustment for all....the foster doodle took about 3 days to settle in and be comfortable with all of us, then he fit right in the 2nd week hahahahaaaaa and the games began with all 3 having a blast playing 24/7

anyway, any time you introduce a new dog it can take a week to more for both dogs to figure each other out, establish dominancy, and more.

give it time and you'll have twice the love and laughter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello!

I am sort of going through this right now and had just posted similar questions last week. Although we obtained a second doodle that is a puppy so there is the added issues with puppy training. I do think it takes some time to adjust, I'm starting to see our first dog Marley (who looks just like the photo you posted!) is settling in to the idea of another dog in the house and she's enjoying it. They do play pretty hard, lots of yelping and growling, but those sounds seem to tell the other to knock it off when it's gone too far. By nature, Marley craves love. We think that she must think she is either a human or a tiny lap top as she always wants to sit on your lap or lay in bed with you. So when Oski is getting pet, she muscles in to get some too. And she takes all the toys and rawhide chews from Oski. She doesn't have a problem when I take one from her to give him, but she does give him a low growl when he's trying to play with her to take one. But then sometimes they enjoy a little tug a war with them. Like any baby/toddler, I think Oski is testing Marley's boundries. Anyway, my attitude going into this new adventure was that we'd give it some time, see if it works for us and I knew I had some resources for finding the puppy a home if it was not going to work. Although we totally love him so there's no way we'd give him up now! And I kinda knew that's what would happen. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure we'll end up keeping this dog. He is an absolute doll. They are having a blast. Lots of wet ears from being chewed on. The house is twice as dirty, twice as fast, but that's a consequence we'll have to get used to, I suppose.
We're still not 100% sold, and if the perfect situation came up for Pongo in another home, we'd probably let him go. The longer he is here, the harder that will be, I'm sure. If he does stay, the name is going to have to change. Anyone have any ideas?
By the way, I have two very tired doodles laying at my feet right now. Very cute.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking this morning that it's strange that on the one hand, you'd think that your dog would be happy to have a playmate around, and on the other hand you feel all guilty because you've brought another dog in to the house. Sometimes I look at Buffy and I feel like I've done something wrong by bringing Pongo in. Do we put too many human emotions onto dogs.
Actually, now that I think about it, I felt the same way when I had my second human baby!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, it has been awhile since I've posted and I'm no expert by any means. I have two doodles, Pippin who is 16 months now and Merry who is now 6 months. We experienced much of the same things others mentioned when we first brought Merry (female) home. Pippin (male) was attempting a lot of the dominance thing and it took a few weeks for the household to settle in also. I've been accused of being shall we say, "a control freak" so I tend to insist on controlling almost everything they do when they are around me, including playing, eating, and even specific times to go to the bathroom. One thing that really helped was when we started taking walks together. I have taken advantage of a local trainer to work with us and our relationship with both dogs have truly blossomed. That being said, however, we were quite aware of the second dog's personality before we got her, so we knew what we wanted to balance them out...one high-energy and one very easy-going, lower-energy. It is most definitely more work with two dogs as opposed to one, but we find great joy in watching the two of them play together and keep each other company when we are not home. I think dogs can sense how you feel and we humans tend to intensify some of those emotions and pass onto the dog...but like I said, I'm no expert. I say give it some time with a positive open mind, and if it doesn't work, well, then at least you tried. Having two dogs isn't for everybody that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Enjoyed reading these comments....

Our pup to be a guardian home for should be born around the 18th.

I have really wondered if we should be getting the second doodle pup.
I worry about Coco being jealous, she is very possessive now....and doesn't have to share her humans with another.
But loves other dogs and all people.

I definitely want to do this....but I guess it is natural to worry.
I am prepared mentally right now for another round of babypuppyhood
and having a year old wild woman to begin with.
I will be looking for solace when they frustrate the tar out of me
this winter....or tear up the backyard....or house....
Good thing this forum can be terrific support!!
I think I'll need it while we all adjust.
Thanking you all in advance!
8)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
PS

Yes, they will bring more laughter into this place...though i shed a few tears training Coco and probably will again with the new one....of course, Coco could help me?!? (*#!!??*@)
with training....or in shedding tears, either one, or both!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jane that is what they make wine and beer for honey. you go get a glass, sip it and then laugh when doodles out-doodle you :wink:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update!
Pongo is still with us. Not a shocker, right?! He goes through phases of bugging me, and not bugging me. The kids love him, and Buffy seems to enjoy having him around. Of course, I do too. It's more work, for certain, but I'm sure it's worth it in the end.

Pongo has a few bad habit I'd like to break. He's only 10 months old, so it's fairly typical, but he grabs stuff he's not allowed to have and then makes you chase him down to get it back. ERG!

The husband is also having a little trouble reconciling his allergies to a new dog, but that usually takes him a little while.

So, for now, it looks like Pongo is sticking around. If anyone has any advice on that naughty behavior, let me know.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'd try NOT chasing Pongo when he takes something for a start - he probably thinks it's a game

When you take away what he has, replace it with something he is allowed to have

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter still does the stealing stuff business and he's 15 months old. We try to make it less fun for him by calmly cornering him instead of yelling at him and chasing him. He totally does it for attention and knows it's wrong but still does it (regularly) :twisted:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It seems strange to me how Coco has grown out of, or decided to obey CERTAIN rules, but not others.....I have tried analyzing our reactions to determine how they are different....can't figure it out really.

Shoes, flip flops, socks were all things she would grab and run
with....we would corner her, I'll admit scold her a little,
not yelling, but firmly telling her NO!
We would put it back where she got it from
and tell her to leave it, "that's mine!"I would say!
....finally she has quit with the shoes....
pretty much leaves them alone, unless some
of the boys' friends come over and she sniffs their shoes and contemplates the game....

Now, she still can be caught stealing ice from my water glass
on the end table....anything paper, or cardboard....
sometimes the leaves off a plant....plastic water bottle tops.....
pens, pencils,
a smoke bomb the boys found....a little one with day-glo pink on the outside, her mouth turned completely bright pink....lips too.....
I just made her drink and eat ice cubes for a long time
to flush anything out of her system.....GEESH!!
She always steals and runs.....until you can catch her....I don't chase, but she knows I am after what she has.....I really don't know what else to do.
I reward her when she drops it, Zukes treats are perfect.

Sure hope I can break some of her bad habits before the end of December....we are in intensive training for household manners
....before our new pup arrives.
I have some anxiety over Coco being jealous
of the time I will have to give to the new one....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jane,
I felt the same way when we brought Buffy home (when Buster was still with us) and I feel the same way now with bringing Pongo into the house. The funny thing is I felt the same way when our Jane (now 10) was 2 and we had our second baby, Mike. I was sitting on the couch with Jane on one side of me and Mike on the other (he was just home from the hospital). I was feeling all guilty and horrible that I had done this terrible thing to my sweet Jane and things would never be the same and I was all down and blue. Jane, in her infinite 2 year old wisdom, looks at me and says "look, Mommy, now you have two babies". After that, I didn't feel so bad. I think sometimes we cast our emotions onto our children and our animals, when they really aren't feeling them.
Anyway - the more the merrier, right?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts