Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just thought I would get some opinions... We have been thinking about wanting a second doodle for a few reasons. First, because the changes in my special needs son has been so evident since we got Shadow. It's amazing what a dog can do for a little boy. But - it's become a little bit of a power struggle between our two kids for attention from Shadow since our kids are only 1 year apart... Also, my husband is home all day now, but we know in another year or so both kids will be in school full time and he'll go back to work. So it seems like the better time to get another puppy/dog so training can be done and all is smooth so Shadow wont be alone during the school day next year - or even know when we leave for the day to go visit family or whatever.

Anyways, because my son seems to collect medical diagnosis' every couple months - we always have an unexpected high medical bill. So, we try to keep our money in reserve for these reasons, and don't feel comforable paying the going rate around here ($2500) for a second doodle. We got really lucky with Shadow as he was a good price and has a wonderful personality. I was thinking maybe looking at a rescue or rehomed dog for the second, but wasn't sure how well that would work now that we already have Shadow. Does anyone have experience with finidng one that doesn't come with a whole lot of problems? My kids have major allergies, so it would be important to find an F1B again and ours is a Med and I don't want one much bigger than him because my kids are pretty small too... I certainly want the two dogs to get along, as well as have patience with my son. Am I crazy? Is this too big of a wish list for a rehome? My husband keeps talking about a second dog, but I'm just worried it is not realistic and we need to either save up for an expensive puppy in the future - or just be content with one. Any thoughts?

Oh yes - Shadow is an easy going type puppy. So I think it wouldn't be too hard for him to get along with another dog.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi :)

It is helpful that your first doodle is easy going because even if you added a dog that was a little less easy going everything would still probably be fine :) Dexter has become totally submissive to Kirby (doodle we adopted as a rehome - he was 12 months old) and we rarely have any issues. The other option is to target younger shelter doodles and one from a family who did not have the time to commit to them (but where the doodle was loved). These dogs probably would have had less bad experiences and more likely to have less "issues". If you go this route, I would suggest letting Shadow meet the dog first to make sure there are no strong negative reactions.

The other option is trying to find a F1B from a breeder where they had more puppies than they expected and have a few left. They may be willing to sell them at a slightly lower price. You should certainly be able to find a F1B puppy for well less than $2500 (we found one for less than 1/2 of that price) and still get a dog from a good breeder.

I'm glad to hear Shadow has helped your son - it's so nice to hear those types of stories :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have 3 doodles but mine are f1's.
the f1ld sheds hardly at all and the other 2 f1 are nonshedding goldendoodles

i find having multiple dogs to be easier than having just one and they're also great playmates . training has become fun too.

now if you only want a f1b there are some breeders here that should be able to help out and/or guide you to someone who has some alot less than $2500.

and if you're hubby is giong to be home that's great for training and being with a young puppy :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Annmarie - I don't know that I need F1b specifically - but definitely a non shedder. So maybe I should look into GD too? Are yours the norm that they don't shed?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Cheryl,

How exciting you are thinking of adding another doodle to your family !
I'm with you and a lot of other people on the price, I couldnt pay that either. We were fortunate to find Annabelle at a more reasonable cost. There are good breeders out there who sell their pups for less, it is just finding the right one for you.

Have you contacted Shannon at I-dogz about a rehomed doodle? Or email Jac, she is a breeder in California, if she doesnt have what you are looking for, she may know of a breeder who does.

Jac's website http://www.backporchlabradoodles.com/
Jac's link to email her http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/prof ... ofile&u=68

Shannon http://labradoodle-dogs.net/gallery/index.php?cat=10388
Shannon's link to email her http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/prof ... file&u=388

Wish you all the best and keep us posted !

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for the most part the MOST Goldendoodles have a coat that is considered to be better than a Labradoodle F1 but not quite a f1b

Peanut and Beau are both nonshedding. BUT Peanut has wavy shaggy fleece coat (cream one) where as BEAU (red one) has soft silkier longer hair fleece coat.
i have met other goldendoodles and all are nonshedding though i do know someone who said they're GD shed very minimally and stopped once they were 2yrs old

MY breeder to-date has had all nonshedding GD's
LD vs GD? i say both are great since we have 1 LD and 2 GD's.

NOW for nonshedding MOST F1b's are noted for this quality.
no dog can be 100% guaranteed but a breeder who is reputable will answer any and all questions along with giving refernces if requested

·
Registered
273 Posts
Okay, as someone who has only ever owned one dog at a time I have a question. Any chance that introducing another dog into this situation will cause Shadow to be more interested in the other dog and less interested with the kids?

Kristen you are the first one that comes to mind that has a young child and added another dog. When you added Molly to the mix did it change the way Sandy and Annie interacted at all?

Just wondering.

Heather

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
momoftwo said:
Okay, as someone who has only ever owned one dog at a time I have a question. Any chance that introducing another dog into this situation will cause Shadow to be more interested in the other dog and less interested with the kids?

Kristen you are the first one that comes to mind that has a young child and added another dog. When you added Molly to the mix did it change the way Sandy and Annie interacted at all?

Just wondering.

Heather
That is actually something I have wondered as well so I would be interested in some responses. However, since the two kids and my husband are pretty much home 90% of the time...I would think they would all have times when they want to play together and times were they want to play separately.

I haven't checked with any of the rescue sites yet since I wasn't sure if this would be a safe option with the allergy issue...but it sounds like you guys think it may be a good option. I'm not in a big hurry - just want to do my research for now. I think part of the research and questioning helps you to appreciate what you get.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
momoftwo said:

Just wondering.
Heather, that is a GREAT question!
It's really not quite like that for dogs....they are 'pack' animals and really all they care about is that they are secure and loved in their spot in the pack. There will be dog-interaction between the 2 puppies, but both of them should want PEOPLE bonding even more, if they are well-adjusted, and come to your house (or anyone's) from a good breeder and a happy home.

One question everyone should ask before adding a dog is what kind of personality do they want to add to the family? A less-submissive dog? or a more submissive dog so your first puppy can stay "on top" so to speak? Neither is more correct than the other, but I love it when we have someone come along who has thought about this.

Good for you!!! And Cheryl I would also recommend Jacque, if she had a puppy available. I bet we can help you find another doodle for your family from the breeders here, or other breeders we know. :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Wow you ask great questions and i am sure Jac or another breeder
here can steer you in the right direction.

I have an F1 who does not shed,
but Denver's breeder only breeds f1's and she made it very clear to us that he most likely would, so if shedding was a concern, she wanted us to know the truth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Cheryl!

I'm so glad that you found a doodle that fits so well into your family and think it's great that you are trying to consider all things before adding another addition to your family. I definitely understand the $$ issue, but at the same time I would be cautious about choosing a rescued doodle due to your specific needs for your family and kids. Not to say that it couldn't work out, but there could be more problems attached to a rescued doodle that you may not want to hassle with. I'll keep my ears open for a "re-home" from other reputable breeders in which they may know the whole story behind the dog, etc. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
in response to adding another doodle if they'll be less interested in kids/other family members

NOPE. initially yoru doodle will be fascinated with the 2nd doodle for several weeks and then start to calm down a bit

we have 3 doodles right now.......and though they play with each other they all still seek me and my family's attention all day long :D

I AGREE Though TEMPERAMENT is key,
max is laid back, peanut is easy going, and Beau is a combo of both. I prefer the happy go lucky yet calm temperaments
so far a good fit ........in my house a dominant dog or very alpha would not fit in well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents here.... I have 2 dogs (Fred the doodle and Betty a daschund mix). We got Betty when Fred was about 1 and a half, and we think it makes life a lot more fun but also easier, as Fred has someone to run with and play with. We have a large yard and they have a lot of room to run--which makes for a tired and good Doodle. Even though they keep each other busy and happy, they still want lots of attention from us humans, if anything, they compete for who gets the most petting. Also--I agree with your thoughts on adding a second while your husband is still at home. My partner worked at home when we got Fred, and it certainly made housebreaking, training and teaching appropriate house behavior--such as not eating the furniture--a lot easier. And finally--no--none of us think you are crazy for thinking of adding another dog. I think many on this forum are probably always in the state of resisting that urge to get another.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
daissyj said:
Hi Cheryl!

I'm so glad that you found a doodle that fits so well into your family and think it's great that you are trying to consider all things before adding another addition to your family. I definitely understand the $$ issue, but at the same time I would be cautious about choosing a rescued doodle due to your specific needs for your family and kids. Not to say that it couldn't work out, but there could be more problems attached to a rescued doodle that you may not want to hassle with. I'll keep my ears open for a "re-home" from other reputable breeders in which they may know the whole story behind the dog, etc. Good luck! :D
The more I think about this, the more I think we may just need to wait for either the "perfect" rehomed situation, or just wait until we can find an affordable puppy. It may mean it's a longer wait that we would want...but I'm nervous about a rehome with my son... We got really lucky with Shadow and it was right after I gave up, so I'm sure we'll have the right addition to our family at the right time. I'd hate to make a mistake with this step - as we had a period of time that my son was afraid of dogs when a "rescue dog" of my BIL's snapped and semi-bit my son...which of course freaked him out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts