Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me start by saying, this is a great site. Its extremely informative on the breed and gives someone like me a great place to see what everyone else is saying about their Labradoodles...not too mention, everyone here seems very friendly and helpful.

That brings me to my question. I am currently considering getting a Labradoodle in the next few months. Everything I have read about them seems great. I am a long time allergy sufferer (more to cats than dogs) but would really like an intelligent, loyal, playful, non-shedding, hypo-allergenic dog. I know these are not guarantees, but very probable in this breed. Anyway, my concern is that I live in an apartment in the city of Chicago and wondered if you all feel this would be adequate living space for a Doodle? Our city has a large number of parks/dog parks and I run alot so getting my potential pup out for excercise would not be an issue. I am curious if you feel a standard would feel cramped living in an apartment?

Your thoughts, please! The last thing I would want to do is get a dog that would feel uncomfortable not having a full sized house to roam.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi KL, welcome! We are glad that you found this site...I agree, it is a good one, it has helped me so much over the months.
If you have a lot of parks and places for your dog to run, I think that you will be fine with a Labradoodle, as long as you make a commitment to take him/her out regularly for exercise.
Many people have Labradoodles in apartments, condos, twin homes, etc...I think that the main issue is where will your dog potty? They can be trained to use a litter box indoors. It all depends on what you want to do.
Yes, these guys are medium to large, normally, but you can find minis and that might be what you would want to look for.
My females are standard and weigh 44 lbs and 53 lbs. That isn't too big, I don't think. (But they can and do get up to and sometimes over 100 lbs!) What you might want to look for is a calm temperament (they are more likely to be okay alone and in an apartment, whereas a hyper dog will eat your furniture) and then ask the breeder about the size of the parents and their parents. If they are generally smaller, you should be fine.
Even large dogs do okay in an apartment though, as long as they get exercise and attention. They love to play and be mentally challenged.
Most important factor...find a GOOD breeder!
Let us know if you decide to get a dood...we love to welcome new puppies!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Jac. There is so much information about these dogs, breeders, etc. my head is spinning. I think I'm ready to love one of these awesome dogs...

By the way, Lexie is a beauty! Love her look. I'm hoping to find that same size and coat in a chocolate color.

One other question regarding price. I've contacted a breeder in Indiana and she charges $2500 for a pup. I see most breeders charge around $1000 but have also seen some for sale for around $400. How do I know when cost is too high or low?

·
Registered
18 Posts
soon-to-be doodle mom in chicago

I don't know if your timing for a labradoodle is sooner rather than later, but in the very least I wanted to introduce myself as a fellow Chicagoan and soon-to-be mom to a chocolate labradoodle (F1). If you're interested in talking to me about my breeder (with whom i am very impressed), just send me an email at [email protected] (I want to adhere to the board policy about not mentioning breeders specifically). I think there are some chocolates still available in our litter (coming home in 4-5 weeks).

BTW - I completely agree with you about this forum - just a wealth of information and such great people! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too know of a breeder that has some F1b Males available to go home in early February. Cost is $1200 plus $00 for shipping. You can send me a private message on this board and I can give you the details.

Thanks,
Julie
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Chocolate! I am soooo jealous! I bought Chase and was wanting at least one chocolate puppy...but my girls don't carry brown so looks like I won't get any soon. I'll just have to love the forum chocolates!

You ask a good question about pricing and there are a number of answers out there...the breeders are the best ones to answer the question as to why they priced their puppies the way they do and other breeders will strongly disagree, no matter whether the price is high or low. So, I would suggest that you simply ask the breeders how they reached their pricing and see if it makes sense to you.

By all means, the parents should be tested...most important...then much of the pricing varies due to other things...for instance, I spay/neuter my puppies before they leave, others ask you to do it. So, obviously my prices will reflect that. (Then you weigh that factor and see which you would rather go with...everyone feels differently about these things so you have to find out the pros and cons and then make you own decision.)

A high price doesn't always indicate a person trying to make a quick buck and a low price is not always a good deal in the long run. Just do a lot of research. I will be happy to talk to you more about this if you would like to contact me through the private message link.

I am always happy to help with your questions so please feel free to contact me any time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome to the labradoodle world! They are wonderful dogs. My boyfriend and his whole family have dog allergies, and they are fine with our F1 unless she sleeps in bed with them! I also wanted to say that although I'm in the burbs, we don't have a fenced in yard because we live in a townhouse. I think as long as you are willing to put in the extra time and effort to give your pup enough exercise, you will be just fine. I know there are a bunch of parks in Chicago. Also, if you live near a school or park, you could get a long leash (20-30') and take your pup to run around (after hours of course- and this isn't really "legal" but...)
Breeder prices do vary, as everyone else said, depending on generation, testing of parents, etc. The breeder I got Summer from is in southern Illinois, and she charges $1000 for a F1 pup. She will have F1B's (labradoodle x poodle) sometime this year, but I don't know how much she will charge for them. I think she is wonderful, so if you want to private message me, I'll give you her website. I also know a woman who got a pup from the same litter as mine- she lives downtown, and I'm sure she would be happy to talk to you about it. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Chicago, glad you found us :) I just wanted to add that you might want to look for an F1B Labradoodle or higher generation since you mention you have allergies. The F1's would be a bigger gamble for you. If you live close enough that you could visit with an F1 Labradoodle or know someone that has one that would let you maybe keep it over night and see how you would do with it before you decide what generation you want to get. The 2500.00 price you mention is probably for a multi-generation Labradoodle, if so, that is about the price you will find anywhere for a multi-gen, pet quality.

I think a Labradoodle would be very happy in your home as long as he/she gets plenty of exercise and lots of love, which doesn't sound like a problem :wink: I do want to caution you about running your Labradoodle while his/her joints are growing. Running is very hard on young pups and could cause problems with hip dysplacia, just be cautious and use common sense.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! I have 2 F1 LD's and live in Illinois also.. I know of K9Summers breeder and she does have choclates and blacks ready soon. Her doodles are beautiful. They are a wonderful bred, and once you have one you will be very happy. I love mine, and they are the sweetest most loving creatures on earth.. Good luck on your choice, and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you have allergies you may have better luck with an f1b. I have an F1 and my sister is not allergic to him but her son is (only slightly though). Neither are allergic to my poodle. A F1B is 3/4 poodle so people with allergies often have better sucess with them. So it highly depends on your allergies (type and severity). I am not sure if Jac has already mentioned that she has F1bs for sale or not. But I have the sister to her stud dog and her temperment is wonderful.. She would of made an awesome dog for the town/city. She is laid back and very quiet in the house. You would never know she was there. Please make sure to check out genetic testing and health gaurantees, and find a good breeder. There are many on this site, and many probably also have puppies as well.
Good luck
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to everyone for your advice and help! I was right about this place :) Anyway, it might not be for another couple of months until I really know if I am going to be able to be a Doodle owner. For those who offered contact info, etc. (K9Summer, I might just take you up on a visit!), thanks! Hope to be back soon on the owner forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts