Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the posts in this entire site, (you are all so very nice and helpful) I would like to ask for your help. I do respect your input as it seems that you all truly love the breed and only want the best for these dogs.

Our family Mom, Dad and 8 year old son would like to adopt a labradoodle in late July, early August. I had ankle surgery 2 weeks ago and have spent my post op time reading everything I can find on the breed, including the book My Smart Puppy by Brian Kilcommons (lots of great information, I can't wait to begin!). I have spent 50+ hours on the internet looking at breeder websites and looking at different dogs. The labradoodle seems to be the perfect dog for our family. My husband does have an allergy problem with animals (not too severe with dogs, cats are another story). We had a Bichon for 10 years (sadly, he is no longer with us) and are fully aware of the commitment. I have a home office and am out of the house for no more than 4 hours at a time. My son is an only child and would love to have a dog playmate to play with and love. We have a big yard and would also invest in a wireless fence. We would like to adopt a labradoodle puppy with a fleece coat and non poodle face, the sex is not important, nor is the color. I have been leaning toward an Australian Labradoodle. Can you direct me to reputable breeders that may have pups available during this timeframe, and that are withing driving distance or do ship? Also any advice that you may have during my search is also appreciated. Sorry for such a long post. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Annie, welcome to the forum :) We're awfully glad you found us. I wish you were wanting a doodle sooner :( I could help you out but since I won't have any available at that time there are a lot of reputable breeders that post on this forum that would be happy to make the perfect connection. I'm sure they will chime in and you will soon be on your way to becoming a DOODLEHOLIC :lol:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm going to chime in as another wishing you wanted one sooner... for purely selfish reasons of course - I'm getting a pup from Di (who posted above me) in 2 weeks - another member of the forum is taking one of our pups littermates - I'd love to see yet another one grow up on this forum!

But I'm sure another breeder here will be able to help you out... Good luck whatever you choose to do, and be sure to keep us updated!

And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
debbildog and dixiedi, I wish we could adopt sooner too! But because I am still on crutches for another 4 weeks, I wouldn't be able to be the best mom to a new puppy until I have both feet on the ground first. (Although I am going to be feeling like I am walking on air when we have our puppy!). I want to be able to give the puppy the proper amount of exercise and walking is sooo much easier without the crutches. I will keep you all posted with my findings and plan to stick around even after we have our new friend home, I am sure to have questions and also have funny stories and pictures to share.

Hi Dizneydoodle, I sent you a pm back.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Annie, I agree, it would be very hard to keep up with a puppy on crutches :lol: We will look forward to hearing about your new puppy when the time is right :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
hi and welcome

We will have pups available later in the summer
the F1b labradoodle is the most likly to be non shedding and allergy friendly of any doodle btw
We are within Driving distance of you on the VA Wv line on the panhandle of West VA,that way you wouldnt have to ship a little pup ,which is safer for the baby :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all of your input. I have put a deposit for a labradoodle baby due to be born around May 5th!!! If Mother nature is willing I will be expecting the new pup in our home in only 90 or so days. I hope that you will all be able to stand me for I am soooo excited! I will keep you posted when they are born and share the pictures.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Congratulations Annie, you are going to be beside yourself with anticipation :) What generation are you getting? I'm excited for you. Another Doodleholic in the making :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Di, the puppy's mom is a F1b and the dad is an Australian Labradoodle. The pups should be small standards in cream, apricot and red. I don't have any preference of sex, and I do like all the colors available (perhaps the apricot the best though).

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Annie...welcome and congratulations! Don't worry, we all get just as excited....almost as if we were the ones getting a new doodle. We will put up with anything, as long as there are pictures involved!! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Nice to meet you Annie and CONGRATS!! can't wait for pics in the near future and hope you have a speedier recovery than expected! :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome! It is nice to have you sharing in my over the top enthusiasm. I have a few questions, I am sure that they are just beginning of many. I made a shopping list online at Petsmart and it seems like my enthusiasm for the puppy showed in my shopping cart, wow did it add up. Before I buy anything (I am going to hold off, until the puppies are born at least!), I would like to know from all of you which things are the absolute musts and which you feel are can do withouts.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Here is my list of must have items to start with:

#200 crate for crate training
collar and leash (get the double leash so you can tether the puppy to you)
Kong toy with fillers (peanut butter, cheese)
Nylabones
grooming comb with rotating teeth

I believe this list will be the bare necessities and the rest you can get after you have your puppy. I would wait on the grooming brush until the puppy has some age on him/her and you know what kind of coat he/she is going to have. Once the adult coat comes in, there are several other grooming tools you will need but no need in buying the wrong tools for the coat.

Hope this helps. I may have forgotten some stuff but I do believe these are the basics :)

Oh yeah, lot's of LOVE :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I way over bought before my puppy came home too! I did a lot of price comparisions and found that I could get the best prices from petedge.com, dog.com, and carealot pet supply. Someone is also selling new X-pens and crates on ebay at a really good prices.

What I bought that I am glad I did: Nail trimmers, small clippers, ear cleaner, ear powder, comb, puppy shampoo, natures miracle, 2 crate mats, nylabone puppy keys, nylabone puppy fish, assorted kong puppy toys, crate (with divider), and a few smaller stuffed toys with squeakers, collar, leash, retractable lead (for going outside to potty), car harness, clutch ball, Zukes training treats, clicker

What I bought that I don't / haven't used:
Eye cleaner

X-Pen - I bought the 36 inch one and Dante learned to scale it and let himself loose in the house while we were gone at 9 weeks old!

Raised food and water dishes - I have now learned these can contribute to gastric torsion and have quit using them

Hmm.. that's all that comes to mind right now!

Heather

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok here's a ABSOLUTE MUST
Nature's Miracle :D
teething ring and/or KONG
walmart sells dog beds for $20-$23
dog crate and blanket to put over at night time
LEASH and collar
food and water bowl with placement underneath (collects bearded water)
i clean out my doodles ears onc a week with vinegar and water
dog sHampoo and condtioner
ball and/or squeaker toy

dog harnass for car

dog brush

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I knew I forgot something, ditto on the dog harness for the car and for Natures Miracle :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts