Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc woke up this morning with one goopy eye. I noticed he had a little white goop in the corner of his eye yesterday but didn't think anything of it. Does anyone know if there is a medicine I can buy over the counter for it or do I need to take him to the vet? I'm always for saving the expense of a trip to the vet, but will take him if necessary.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gracie. I think I better take him to the vet for some anti-biotic ointment. I didn't find any on the Petco site so I can't run to the store to get some and don't have time to do mail order. I'm pretty sure it is not allergies because it is only in one eye.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took Doc to the vet and he does have conjunctivitis. Got some drops and he should be as good as new in no time!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am glad that you took him in.
Chase (my Poodle) gets conjunctivitus too...not a serious problem, but a bit sore for them. Glad you got some meds to help out.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Nancy. I saw that on DrsSmithFoster website too. I couldn't wait this time for it to arrive though, but, I might order some to keep on hand. I wonder if it has a short expiration date. It would actually be cheaper to get it from my vet if he wouldn't charge me for an office visit. I wonder if he would just sell me the drops if Doc got it again.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
may be a good idea

to get the catalog ,,,it takes awhile to go thru it all,,has wonderful info along with recommended treatments,loads of natural treatments also
glad i could help :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
kewl i havent used lambriar in awhile

cant remember why,,think they were a bit pricey
Kv has vet on call ,,in fact i talked to one last week,,i was really impressed,,very helpful!!
i like kv because the yearly catalog has so much info in it,,i have learned so much just from that,,LOL

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Nancy, that's good info.

Jac - do you know what causes Chase's conjunctivitis? I thought, maybe, Doc picked it up from the dog park because I took him there on Sunday evening. My Standard Poodle developed real goopy eyes after she was a few years old. Its was from dry eyes, I forget the name for it. She had to get ointment in her eyes daily.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kim,

I always thought that conjunctivitis was caused by dry eyes...so when you asked this question it made me wonder...and I found a site that explains it pretty well...and dry eye and irritation is a factor:

http://consumer.vetmedcenter.com/consum ... X.xml&dt=A

My vet gave me a salve to put in Chase's eye, but I think that eye drops to keep his eyes moist, now that he is well, is a good thing. Patty Daisy (Gabriele), from this forum, told me to (among other things):

Keep the eye area clean so no gunk & potential bacteria gets into the eyes. Use non-preserved saline (available in the contact lens section of drug stores.) Regular water doesn't have the right osmolarity (salt balance) & actually will cause further irritation. Saturate a soft clean cloth with the saline & hold it over his eyes (maybe while he's sleeping or snuggling on your lap) - after the crusty, goopy stuff softens, gently wipe it away. Occasionally during the day, if you see some goopy stuff starting, gently squirt a bit of saline in his eyes to flush the crud out. This also flushes out bacteria. (She did caution that I should check this out with my vet before I do anything.)

She was so helpful...a very nice person! (Thanks Gabriele! Chase is doing great and I found the drops!) I hope that this advice helps you too.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Maureen, I don't know if you are aware of it or not but since our conversations on another thread about BYB and PM I thought I'd mention that Lambriar may be a good source for products for our dogs BUT they are brokers. I will not contribute one penny to anyone that makes a living off of puppy mills. Just thought you might want to know that :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a good site Jac. Thanks. I'm hoping that Doc's was caused by bacteria in his eye since only one eye was infected. I hope he's not going to have the same chronic condition that my standard poodle had. That's good to know about the saline solution and getting the non-preserved kind is very important. Several years ago, I contracted bacterial conjunctivitis and the drops the Dr. gave me had preservatives in them. My eyes stayed red and irritated for a couple of weeks until I went back to the Dr. to find out what was wrong and he said I was allergic to the preservatives in the drops!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts