Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about labradoodle hair some of you might be able to help me with. When we got Cody he had really thick and soft hair. His hair is now still very thick and soooo soft. He has a short, curlier almost fur-like layer of hair and also a layer of long whispy hairs. He is shedding a lot right now and he's 12wks old. So, my question is this. Which layer is his adult hair? The "blowing" of the puppy coat I keep hearing about seems to happen later but which coat is that anyway? I'm so confused. What kind of coat can I expect from Cody? His shorter hair layer has curls and is thick. His longer hairs are pretty much straight but not coarse and hair-like and are much longer than a regular lab's hair. He is very soft and any stickers he gets just slide out of his hair with a sweep of the hand. Any guesses?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm also a little concerned...Boone isn't getting scruffy :(
He has a few odd longer hairs, but they don't seem to be getting longer and he is still very very lab looking!
Also he sheds quite a bit which I don't even mind really, but I hope he gets puffy :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
I read somewhere that you can't tell until the dog is a couple years old. Our puppy, Biscuit, has curly ears and a curly tail. But the rest is straight. So we will have to see. I love him curly or straight.

Susan

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi everyone,
The tough part of this question is that we are generally talking about F1 puppies. F1s are so unique and unpredictable. All I can say is that I have seen some F1s that look like Labs, only with longer hair and others that look so curly that I'd swear they were at least F1Bs. (There are even times when I wonder if they are really Labradoodles! :wink: )
So, what I am saying is that we just don't have a particular pattern with these guys yet. I am not sure that we ever will on the F1 level.
Multigen's are quite predictable and F1Bs are more consistently low to non-shedding, but other than that, I can't really say.
I can tell you that my two F1 Labradoodles had very different coats and this is unusual because they are full sisters. One had a thick, long coat that I was certain would be "Poodly" and the other had a shorter, non-descript coat. Well, as they grew, they lost their coats and soon they got sort of like "feathers" with longer whispy hair and an undercoat.
Now the "Poodly" coat is long, coarse, straight and the "non-descript" one has a beautiful thick curly coat! The first one (Poodly) sheds and the other one doesn't! You just never know!
It will be fun to see what happens with all of your puppies! Keep those pictures coming!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts