Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My step son had a lab mix that he mated to a rot (brilliant idea). Anyway, the rot mix gets along well with all dogs except his lab mix father so I wound up with the lab mix. The lab was a very domineering, protective, possessive alpha male. When his son was about 3, he got tired of the lab always pushing him around and they got into it, real bad. Probably would have fought to the death. I got the father when he was about 8 and neutered him but it was already too late--he was an established alpha male. Since we had to keep the dogs totally apart for years, my step son really, really wants the lab mix and my dood pup to be friends. Problem is, the rot mix is afraid of little dogs (he was terrorized by a couple of chihuahuas when he was younger!) My step son's idea of making them become friends is to let the pup chase the rot around in the house. I think this is a bad idea. My idea is to keep the pup in his x-pen while the rot is in the house and let the rot decide when he's ready for the pup. Ideas?? Suggestions??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow. That's some busy house! Well, I am not an expert trainer but I have read that you have to really guard your puppy against other dogs. If a puppy is attacked just once it can become dog aggressive. I think it would be a good idea to keep the dogs seperate.

There is some great information at a website that I surf often. It's Leerburg Kennels. They have lots of training suggestions and some good videos.

My last dog was an alpha male. He never viewed me as his pack leader, only my husband, so I struggled with him all the time.

Good luck and I hope you find some answers to your questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts