Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had German Shepherds in the past, and we loved their temperment and intelligence, but the health problems have been awful. We have considered getting a mixed breed from a shelter or rescue group after our old dog dies, but I would like to know something about the dog. Can anyone say how Labradoodles compare to German Shepherds? We loved the intelligence, loyalty and trainability of the shepherds, but the health problems of purebreds are too much.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my parents had a shepard and poodles when I was growing up. I loved our shepard. very smart, very loyal... just an awesome dog.

I think the same of Labradoodles. Plus Labradoodles come with other benefits: most dont shed (in the 2nd and above generations especially) and they seem a bit snugglier to me.

Labradoodles take to agility and they also are great hunting dogs (retrivers) so its like a more rounded great tempered dog.

Shepards are stunning and make great police and search dogs because of their intelligence, but keep in mind standard poodles are used as police dogs also and the lab adds so much to the mix. I think a Labradoodle would be a great choose for you, you will love the personality!

I understand your concern about health issues but there are many reputable Labradoodle breeders that test hips and more and they all offer a guarantee. I have never heard of consistent reported health issues from a reputable breeder. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a F1 labradoodle (13 mos) and a gsd/dob mix (23 mos). My boys are very different. Gus, my labradoodle, is my silly clown. He is my cuddly one and very much a momma's boy. He has wild, hyper spurts and acts like a nut. He will bark initially at strangers but then immediately jumps all over them and tries to clean their eyeballs. Flash, my gsd/dob mix, is my working dog. He is very much a guard/watchdog and he does not like strangers. True to his breeds, Flash always needs to have a job and herds anything that moves. Both of my boys are very loyal and protective of their mom but in very different ways. Flash is more independent. He knows 60+ commands and LOVES obediance and agility. Gus tries to be cutsey and clown his way towards the treat rather than actually doing the command. He can be very jealous when he isn't in the "momma's baby" spotlight and is quite the drama boy. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry...me again. Having had a shepherd for the past 11 years (my belgian passed away last year) and now having the gsd/dob mix and my doodle, both are excellent dogs. Gus loves 99% of people, is dog and cat friendly and is a fun loving guy. People are always asking to pet/play with him. On the other hand, Flash wants to hunt ANYTHING that moves, is very cautious/wary of strangers and people shrink back from him in concern, even if he isn't growling or barking, because he looks like the german shepherd that he is. Looking at the basics of what the breeds were designed to do can be helpful. Labs have been bred for flushing/retrieving hunting companions with a soft/gentle mouth. GSDs have been bred for protection and herding. IMO, doodles are easier dogs, at least for the average family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is all helpful. Our shepherd is a lot like Flash, which is great when we want to get rid of salesmen, but not always good when we have visitors. The shedding thing is less important to me than temperment and health. I have known several Labs, but I don't know anyone with a poodle.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey tom, thanks for asking about temperments in the breeds. We went from loving Labs to exploring poodles, before we heard of Labradoodles. Our first Poodle is pretty loving and I honestly couldn't tell you any difference in personality between her and our Labs - except she is more picky or particular about food. My hubby says that's because Lab people raised her, so she doesn't KNOW she's not a Lab! :wink:

Since that time I have heard that St. Poodles are more independent than Labs and having met more of them I think that is a fair assessment...less lovey-dovey, in an imposing way. Does that make sense? But NOT less appreciative of their humans...thus the 2 breeds are complimentary to each other in temperment and personality.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi...i have a sister-in-law and friends that have shepards which are fantastic dogs. ME --- I am in love wih my labradoodle! Remember they're used as seeing eye dogs to-date..are very intelligent, highly trainable, a good watchdog alerting you to sounds but don't bite, hardly shed, bond to the whole family, and totally lovable. NEED I continue? :lol:
I will say the labradoodle are more comical than a german shepard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts