Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! When its just me and Sam she is great, when I have company she is crazy. What have yall done to help with this. I have some ideas but its just nice to hear more.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just crazy when they show up? Or the whole time the company is there?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
LOL love the picture

Annabelle loves company and still gets excited when someone comes over, takes her a while to calm down, I've taken to making her go outside or make her sit next to me, even if I have to hold her collar, until she calms down. Then she is allowed to go and say hello, but if she doesnt sit, then she's back on time out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a while, but on short visits the whole time.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
She is a puppy and they do get excited very easily :lol:

Does she go to the door with you when you answer door, if so I'd try putting her on a short lead and getting her use to walking along your w/c calmly, then ask your friends to come in and ignore her, have them go sit down and keep her by your side.

If she's too bouncy yet to do that, how about seeing if you can have a heavy duty hook installed near the door that you can hook a short lead to - hook her to it then open door, let your guests in, close door then take her lead and have her accompany you over to your guests, making her stay by your side until she calms down, still having your guests ignore her (that's the hard part !)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignore this.....yeah right.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I know - it is HARD, but they are smart critters - Annabelle has learned if she is hyper and bouncy, she doesnt get attention from company, but once she calms down, she does - I think it is harder to train your friends/family than the dog :wink:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming please.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
When Lexie and Bayley were small, I had the same problem...I posted a note on the door asking the callers to please be patient, we are trying to train our dogs to be good citizens...it will take a minute for us to put the leash on the dog, and when they come in, please do not talk to the dog, and try to talk in lower tones. Then we put leashes on them, walked them to the sofa where they were told, "down" and "stay" and then I kept petting them, not talking to them other than a "good girl" sometimes...later, during the visit I slipped the leash off and watched...if they stayed calm they were allowed to move around. If they got too excited the leash went back on, not in a mean way... I think it is inappropriate to scold them for being happy...but in a calm, controlled way, I would just tell them, again, to "down, stay" and continued petting and saying "good girl."
You could also have a crate in the living room so that your pup could be a part of the fun without being a problem.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I think Annabelle needs to visit you Jac !

I never had so much trouble training a dog to be calm when someone came over as I do with Annabelle.

Heidipooh and Mollyann were a breeze compared to her, they were my chocolate lab babies (sisters/littermates), training the 2 of them together was easier than AB, maybe it's my age, get softer as I get older :roll:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My cousin and her daughter were over this evening, and Jonah especially goes ballistic! He has a hard time controlling that excitement over someone to play with!! He's just a 83# little puppy!! He calms down within 15 minutes, because my cousin refuses to pet him til he calms down....and he absolutely loves her. The other two are a lot calmer, but will nudge for pets. I used to put Jonah in his kennel til he calmed down, but he no longer has one. Usually I put them in the yard to let them zoom, because a tired doodle is a good doodle.

I don't know if that helped....I just reread it and it seemed to ramble around a point and not make one!! Guess I'm tired..... :wink:

·
Registered
593 Posts
If we know company is coming, one of us plays with sam in another room, with the door closed. He gets all barky and growly when they come in but he is a lot more calm if he stays in the room until the busttle of people entering dies down and then we let him out...

Is it an excited thing or a protective issue?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excited, Samantha does not have a mean bone in her that I have seen. Her only protection would be lick em to death or slowly paly nibble them till they left. lol
Here is the lazy sit.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Sam is one darling doodle! And (this can't be stressed enough) a PUPPY!

Miss Ebbe at almost 16 mos. still goes crazy if someone comes to the door.
And if I prevent the jumping on the guest, I get 70 pounds of excitement thrust upon me.

I think Leslie (Dexter and Kirby's Mom) did some effective training with her two that I am going to search for soon.

·
Registered
980 Posts
OMG Dexter is a year and a half and 80 lbs. and is still stark raving crazy over company. My daughter and her boyfriend are visiting this weekend from Minnesota. He is embarassing me! He practically sits on their heads on the couch, and cries at their bedroom door all night. When it's just him and I he is a laid back angel.

I keep threatening to tie him to a bedpost, but he would probably hurt himself.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We used to keep treats at the door and when someone came
in we would have them ask Denver to sit and then he got a treat.
It took a long time because he used to go crazy jumping all over people.
When he was younger we would have him go to his spot and then he could come and meet when he calmed down a bit. Now he can go to the door and greet because he no longer jumps, and he behaves.
Not to say he does not get excited because Denver loves company
but he just knows what will get him sent to his spot so he is watchful.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please explain how you teach them to go to a spot.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
LOL..........She is so cute!!
I can't help you yet as I'm at the same stage with Bogie! I did get him to STAY with me hovering over him in a chair when we had a serviceman over the other day. He wanted to GO so bad!!
It's just going to take some work for us with our PUPS!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...our doorbell training was totally unsuccessful :) Dexter would anticipate the doorbell when I had him sit and me taking one step towards the front door made him go nuts.

We have found something else that works...when the doorbell rings we get the doodles to follow us to the basement and we give them a super good chewbone. They only get these treats occasionally so they are more interested in them than the company. Dex is still really excited, but the last 2 times he only jumped up once.

Good luck it is tough.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ours take a few minutes to calm down...and if they don't they get put in their crate or in past when smaller got tethered to me and/or made to sit like Jac does.

Sam is just a little puppy and it takes longer with some puppies that others as they're all different personalities.
I also ask my company NOT to pet and walk away if they go to jump.

I make mine do 30min lie downs several nights a week which seems to have helped tremendously.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts