Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, my little girl, raleigh is almost 7 months. i am becoming concerned with her coming into heat and was wondering when that ususally happens and when will i know. we have waited on having her spayed because she has been through so much with being sick and then recovering from her broken leg. we don't want any unexpected pregnancies. please advise. thank you.

tina and raleigh

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Tina,
It is probably a good time to visit your vet and ask about spaying...either that or be prepared to watch her for a couple of months.
With my girls, Lexie had a heat cycle at 6 months and it lasted 2 months! Bayley had hers at 8 months and it was very mild and very short...only about 4 days. And these are sisters...so you can see that it is difficult to guess at the heat cycle of dogs...although you might want to find out about her mother's cycle. It might help you prepare.
If you are going to have her spayed, you would probably be happier if you do it right away. Heat cycles are very messy and then you have to be very careful not to take her out in areas where intact male dogs could be. The males can be very creative in getting to a female in heat.
You can buy the panties for her if she goes into heat, but it is tough to guess when she will need to potty and sometimes you have accidents and accidents can lead to infection...not a good alternative, in my opinion.
I commend you on your concern for Raleigh and her health. You are a good doodle mom!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts