Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's so funny how the thread/topic of SHOCK COLLARS went from shock collars to pillow-eating to pooping out change from a $20 to therapy. At least we didn't combine the first and last; "shock therapy" !! :shock:

But speaking of therapy, my godmother passed away last month. She was like a 2nd mother to me. She had to be in a nursing home for the last year to get constant care. Dogs are so comforting when one is sad, and I think Doodles (and greyhounds) are especially good at offering comfort.
The nursing home allowed me to bring Darwin in to visit, so I'm so happy that my godmother was able to meet him. She wasn't in a very good mood that day, and Darwin just completely changed her attitude, until she was laughing up a storm! She nicknamed him "wiggles", and the nickname has stuck.
:lol:

These guys(and gals) are great comfort for both sides; the dying/ill and the survivors/caregivers.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss...but glad that you posted such an uplifting reminder of the joy of having a dood in our lives!

Yep, we do tend to get a bit off track in these forums...sort of like a regular conversation around our house! LOL

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had never really been around dogs until Chester (and now Archie too). I wouldn't have understood what a difference dogs could possibly make in people's lives. What I really see is how if one of my kids (16 year old and 14 year old) are sad or have a bad day, the comfort they get from Chester and Archie. It warms my heart.

I am so sorry for your loss. I've been thinking about working to train Chester as a therapy dog. After reading your post I'm convinced I should. I'd like to think he could bring a little joy into someone else's life.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Even with Jonah's overbearing personality, he did really good when we went to visit my Mom when she was in the nursing home. They just seem to know.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I, too, am sorry for your loss. That saying that "death is a part of life"....is true, but not one I ever look forward to living through....
I do believe in life after death, so to me.....they just "move."
I will see them again one day....what a day of rejoicing that will be!!

I have always wanted a doodle for a therapy dog.
Coco is too young and not very polite yet.....
but I intend to get her through her training classes
and have her be a joy to those who need lifting up.
Of course, she is only my therapy dog right now.....and since I am still in MN, I miss her. Things here are going OK with my folks....a little trying, but better than when I first got here.
I am going home to Texas on Monday......
IT SNOWED THERE FOR A MINUTE TODAY!!!

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
darwin...i am so touched by your story and also gene's. I have not experienced the loss of a parent but can only imagine how hard it must be.

i do know doodles seem to be such great comforting creatures with older people as well as sick and/or hurt.

Max is so different with anyone in physical or mental pain. so calm, loving and puts his head on them giving a soft eyed look and a few kisses.

for me, max starts level 1 training next monday. This place also offers 5 levels of training ...yes you can do the citizen training and such. I hope in the future Max can get to be a therapy dog.
there are numerous nursing homes here and a special cancer camp that has very strict rules for therapy dogs.
who knows, maybe max will surprise me as he matures and help me to help others with him.

may god bless you and yoru family Darwin and also others here on this forum who have had a loss of a parent, child or any other family member

1 - 7 of 7 Posts