Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone comb their wooly haired Labradoodle every day or every other day like I do?

I rake comb mine and she loves it, plus, I am always amazed as the fists fulls of undercoat I get each time! The last time I took her to a groomer, they shaved her as guess they never wanted to spent the time to comb her out so she hasn't been back in over a year now and don't expect to return either.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we dont' have wiry wooly coats but peanut's fleece coat is brushed 3 to 4 times a week along with max and beau (can't leave them out :wink: )

peanut doesn't matt except by her paws so brushing does stop it

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie has a poodly coat. I don't know the technical description. I brush him about every other day. He doesn't always NEED it and he doesn't shed at all but we both enjoy it.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we are a bit lazy w/brushing...but I really try to brush Dexter out at least 1-2x a week. His coat is becoming more forgiving (in terms of matting) with age. He is a fleece coat F1B.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner has a combo coat. I brush him every other day...get quite a bit of fuzz out of him...he doesn't shed though. He is also getting a bit better as he gets older but when he plays with the other dogs at daycare he comes home a mess and would turn into mats if I didn't brush him out.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I find brushing all 3 doodles to be so Relaxing for both them and me :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I was using the one with a metal combs on one side and bristles on the other

BUT I Have to find a Different kind now as it barely goes thru her thick fleecy coat now.

KNOW what? e can both do a search on here as some use the
LePooch?brushes? i know several times this has been discussed and now to find the older posts :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will do a seach. Thing with LePooch is that there are several of them. Emily also has a fleece coat and only get matted on her paws like peanut.

Maria and Emily

·
Registered
985 Posts
annieG said:
The pin brush that I got recently with long pins is great. Vicky suggested it. http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/ser ... 281_13347_

I use my Les Pooches brush after using this long pin brush...
Do you use the longest pin brush for Tanner? And which Les Pooches brush? I think I may have to spring for something more than the double bristle/brush variety that I bought at Petsmart. When I took her to be groomed this time Chouette had a mat under each ear that I couldn't get out. Even the groomer didn't get the one under her left ear completely out. She's not nuts about being brushed; she sees it as "Grab the Brush" playtime, but I've been more consistent about discouraging that and she's getting the idea.

I brush her every day or two, but I'm enjoying the silky post-grooming state right now which doesn't require a brush.

Leslie

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Leslie, I use the 35mm brush on Copper, and, so far, we have been successful in avoiding the mats behind the ears. That is such a problem area for Copper. :cry:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I find that for the serious mats I cut them with thinning scissors. I also rub some Cowboy Magic into the mat before I resort to the scissors. I have the purple Les Pooches brush, got it on ebay for 1/2 price. I like to use it after I use the 35mm pin brush...it makes Tanners coat really smooth and shiny :p

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
After we got Kirby, we bought a brush like what Annmarie was describing. It has 2 sides (a smoothing brush with soft bristles on one side - we never use that side) and just like a normal hair brush (like I would use) on the other. Dexter definitely prefers that to the pin brushes and he's stayed relatively matt free (except the tough areas - ears/underbelly). I know Linda's Bella has a wool coat - maybe she'll see this post and comment.

·
Registered
985 Posts
annieG said:
I find that for the serious mats I cut them with thinning scissors. I also rub some Cowboy Magic into the mat before I resort to the scissors. I have the purple Les Pooches brush, got it on ebay for 1/2 price. I like to use it after I use the 35mm pin brush...it makes Tanners coat really smooth and shiny :p
I couldn't find any Les Pooches brushes on eBay, but Doodle Country has them. Do you have the wide or regular purple?

http://www.doodlecountry.com/les-poochs-brushes-.html

Leslie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have the wide...but I think the regular would work fine...maybe even better then you could us it in smaller areas. I don't use it first though. When Tanner's coat has been roughed up from playing with his buds, I use the pin brush first (when he is really long I use the rake first). After the pin brush I use the Les Pooches and finally a comb to make sure he doesn't have any more tangles. When I am pressed for time I just do the 35mm pin brush :wink:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have so much trouble getting Dex to STAY STILL to be brushed...he always wants to grab the brush in his mouth. His contortions in order to do so are epic.

How do you keep your guys still?? Any ideas?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I have so much trouble getting Dex to STAY STILL to be brushed...he always wants to grab the brush in his mouth. His contortions in order to do so are epic.

How do you keep your guys still?? Any ideas?
haha...so i have 2 techniques with Dexter

1) Hold him by the collar so he can't get away - brush w/the other hand
2) Have my husband hold a Kong with a treat in it for Dex to try to eat while I brush him.

As he's gotten older, number 1 works much better. In the past he would buck and contort himself and try to escape :)

Kirby just lays there like a good boy for brushing :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts