Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try grooming Rosie at home. I bought the Oster turbo A5 clipper, which comes with a size 10 blade. From reading the pamphlet, it sounds like this will be best for very close clipping, such as around the eyes and "sanitary" area. I like her coat to have a longer, shaggy look. Will a comb attachment set work O.K. for this, or am I better off buying a different blade? Any advice would be terrific.

Thanks very much!

p.s. The reason her ears look so short is because they were so matted that I had to get them practically shaved to get rid of the mats. :cry: I am letting them grow out, and am careful to keep them combed!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If you are a inexperience operator of clippers i would not recommend starting with a attachment blade it is wayyyy to easy to cut them with it

In fact i recommend new folks to just keep the dog short with a 10blade

anything longer you really should have a professional groomer do

IMHO
Nancy
(retired dog groomer)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I use a size 40 blade and a #10 one and a quarter inch blade attachment (the longest I could find) to clip Dante. I had never done a dog before but have done show grooming and body clipping on horses for decades. I haven't had any problems but he has a very fine coat that combs out easily so the clippers with the comb attachment slide easily through his coat. I don't think you are going to be able to get a blade that will give you the look you want without using a blade comb.

Heather

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I use the snap on attachments on my 10" blade because I don't want them shaved. I like around a 1/2 to 1/2". With Miko, I may got shorter and just use the straight blade.....with an assistant, of course! :wink:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
HI All
IMHO
the poster really needs to get used to everything before using any longer blade cut then a 10blade and for sure a not a comb,
it does Not comb it out
YOU have to comb it out brush it out and get the dog tangle free,
BEFORE using a comb attachment,,and even then you can rip a dog wide open

I know experienced groomers that have torn a dogs skin using that and anything lower then a 7blade and a 7blade can ripe their skin also, so for novices i recommend a 7F less chance of injury

just some general info for everyone
hope it helps and saves a doodle from being hurt
reguards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great tips. The link to the grooming information is VERY helpful, sdrudge. It is interesting to see that they show scissors being used. I have done a lot of touching up with scissors, and have been pleased with the results. My husband is freaked out about me using scissors on Rosie, though, because our vet told him that it is very easy to cut a dog with scissors. I am so careful and don't think I would cut Rosie. I am more freaked out about using a clipper!

Doodlesville: Yes, I am definitely totally inexperienced. The blade I was considering is the size 3 - 1/2 inch skip tooth. Do you think this would be dangerous? How about the size 10 with a longer comb attachment (as momoftwo described)? I definitely do not want to cut Rosie!

By the way, the reason I want to clip Rosie myself is because the last groomer I took her to did not follow my instructions at all. I had to have him do a lot more work before I could take her home. As a result, he told me I had to pay double because he spent two appointments on Rosie! I figured I'm better off just learning how to do it myself.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was posting at the same time as the two posts before my last one, so hadn't seen those when I replied.

Doodlesville, I wasn't thinking that the comb attachment would be for combing her out. My plan is to thoroughly comb her before doing any clipping. I thought it would let me give her a longer cut without changing blades. I was thinking it would be safer - but it sounds like maybe it isn't.

The info from Oster about the #3 blade I mentioned reads "Great for fluffy type coats, like coated Poodles and Bichons. Leaves hair at a legth that resembles hand scissoring without all the work." For the size 7f it says "This blade is often used to shave down very matted dogs and cats. It also gives a short clean finish, if desired, on some Setters, Spaniels and Terrier breeds." I am thinking that the 10 will be what I want to use for close cutting.

I may just stick to scissors... :roll: but I still want more info.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Personally im a scardy cat ,, (experienced groomers tend to dissway novices from using longer blades,,when i am training a groomer one on one NEVER EVER do i allow them to use the longer blades)

the 3 is a awsome blade, leaves a beautiful cut in most case,
dont use skiptooth, too easy to get caught in skin
get the 3F ONLY use on body of the dog, careful around the elbows and the folds of skin at back legs, tread lightly my friendly, and use scissors to finish, to blend,

only use 10 or 40 on belly and bottom ,
careful careful careful
now also remember im sitting here holding my breathe until you post again and let us know how all that went,, :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
\Did i help?
if you want to use the 3blade you have ,,be careful!!!!! dont get in a hurry, lay flat against the skin do NOT point down,,

just a FYI after over 30yrs dog grooming experience rarely do i use a skip tooth blade , 4 5 7 or even now the 3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you doodlesville, you have definitely helped! I will be sure NOT to use a skip tooth blade. I didn't realize that longer blades were more dangerous; I assumed it would have been the other way, because you would be cutting further away from the skin. Now I am thinking that I am not fit to clip Rosie myself! Maybe I'll use the #10 around the areas that need close clipping and stick to scissors for the rest. Better yet, maybe I'll just let it all grow out :lol:.

Never mind the size 3; skip tooth or not. I am a scaredy cat too, and I have zilch experience. I have never even cut my children's hair, and the times I've cut my own bangs it just hasn't looked right, even though I have curly hair (which should be forgiving). :oops:

Doodlesville, just to be clear: are you saying that I could rip her open with a comb attachment? I just want to be sure I understand all of this. Thank you!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
FYI, we scissor cut Kirby (he is afraid of electric clippers)...it works with him because he is willing to sit still for quite a long time. We will only touch up Dex w/scissors because he squirms. It definetely takes us time...we do it over several days. We use our fingers as a guide so we don't accidentally cut him. If we are cutting out mats, we use a comb to pull the mat out a bit so we aren't against the skin.

I would love to cut Dex ourselves (w/clipers) and save money, but we are big chickens.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes the potential is there especially if you get around where skin lies such as crease of back leg front legs behind ears

you never know till you try,,you can call me if you like it may be easier for me to explain,
PM< for number

you spent a mint on that 3blade, you may as well use it, that is a good length for coat and makes it very managable,
Maybe you could use on back and gently blend it down to the legs then just scissor to blend the rest,
just a thought, would likly work if your game
Im happy to help

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I've always used the attachments. But I had a Cocker for almost 15 years and always groomed him. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't use the attachment....then I just cut him too short. Care and caution is the best option. Of course, I only speak from my own experiences and I'm no expert. :wink:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
LOL Vanessa
good girl,,, just go slow, make sure no tangles, and always have quick stop or somthing to stop bleeding if there is a accident,(now they have glue also) better safe then sorry

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also for those that are worried - they make sissors that are rounded on the edge instead of pointed for safety. I bought a pair (I think at a beauty supply store) when my daughter was little to trim her bangs without having to worry about her suddenly moving and me poking her in the eye with a sharp tip. These are the sissors I now use to trim Dante's face.

Heather

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
You're funny Vanessa :) I guess I should be happy we have one doodle that will sit still. Dex's grooming costs are really pretty high...although he got cut so short last time it may last 3 months (instead of 2)...hmmm...maybe we should have them do this more often.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Heck i cut my doodles body down short, with a 9blade or 7blade still short
round up their face and tail
they still look like a doodle ,,just NO Work,,which i am tottally all for,, :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have tried the round tipped scissors on Rosie, but haven't been able to get them to cut through her hair. Maybe there is a better pair out there...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I took a page from Leslie's book and have been scissor cutting Rosie. Last night I did her face and head, and this morning I did the sanitary area and one front leg. I have also cut out the mats she had. She was very calm about it this morning; I think I chose a good time, because she had already had a long walk and was sleeping when I snuck up on her. :wink:

I will try to trim the other front leg before she goes out in public. Otherwise she may be embarrassed at how uneven she looks! :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I will try the clippers another time...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts