Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 10 month old male f1 labradoodle. When I bought him he was black with a few white hairs on his belly, as he is getting older those few white hairs have turned into lots of white hairs on his face back and belly along his shoulders as well. I was told by an aunt that had a silver poodle that her dog was black when she got her and that she started getting white hairs and by the time she was 2 years old she was silver. does anyone have any input to this subject or have a doodle that has changed in color? thanks

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Dustymack :) My Jazmine was born black but had a few white hairs on the pads of her feet, by the time she was 6 wks old she had white hairs circling her eyes like a raccoon. I was told she would probably silver out but she is 1 1/2 years old now and I think she has stopped turning silver. I think I can safely say she is blue. You can see her on my website if you like. I had a local guy come by today with one of my doodles he got from me and he was born cole black, well he now has the most beautiful reddish hair coming in on his face and legs and some on his back, it is absolutely beautiful. I'm really anxious to see how he matures, he is really beautiful :D but aren't they all :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi dustymack, welcome and congratulations on finding a beautiful Labradoodle!
My vote is for blue as well. I have 2 blue Labradoodles and they are really pretty! Both started out as black and then, like yours, got white/silver hairs in their coat, and their faces lightened a lot.
You can go to the photo section of this forum and see some pictures of our Labradoodles (and post one of yous :D )...you will see that we have quite a few beautiful dogs...and some matching the coat description of yours.
(Silver is where most of the black is gone and all that remains is a very light coloring ... with some dark areas, but almost no black...blue is a black coat with silver face/ears and sometimes lighter legs/feet...but a black coat with silver hair sprinkled throughout.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
color

Thanks I did post his picture in the gallery under f1 labradoodles bustertie and bustertie2 he is whering his bow tie in the pictures. Is that the pictures for this forum or is there another place for pictures?.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You found the right place...and your little guy is adorable. I don't think he is blue...or silver...at least not yet. He has a very beautiful and unique coat.
Maureen is the color expert here...I'll wait until she gives an opinion on Buster's coloring...
Thanks for posting the picture! :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks I have added a few more of buster and there are some of ruby our standard poodle under the poodles if anyone would like to see.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

hey, welcome again....and look at all these great breeders with their BLUE DOODLES!! I have one nuzzling under my arm while I type right now!

Genetically the blacks, blues and silvers are all the same...but the bluing trait (is that a word?) seems to be a strong one that comes thru if a parent has it. I love it when they get those lighter circles around their eyes like Di described! I have several puppies out there that I can't wait to see as mature adults...and Di, I REALLY want to see pics of that doodle you described as going red!

Hang in there....isn't it fun to see your Doodle surprise you in so many ways?!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am just sick that I didn't take a picture of him while he was here but he just stopped by and I was just getting ready to start chores. He will be stopping by again since the vet is my neighbor and he goes right by here to get to the vets. I'll be ready with camera in hand next time :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Your Poodle is stunning! What great coloring! Are you planning on breeding her?
Buster is so adorable...and so is Mack! What a lovely family you have!!!
And...Maureen says that Buster is blue...so blue it is! Whatever color Buster is...it is a beautiful blend!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A Mikko and Ruby litter would be gorgeous :!: :!: Ruby and Buster are both beautiful dogs :D Glad to have you on board :!:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi I did buy Ruby to breed with Buster they both have super personalitys both are loving, comical, playful, smart and happy healthy pups. Yeah I know they are mine and we all say ours have no faults beleive me they drive me nuts most days. It is hard having 2 pups at the same time under 10 months of age but also well worth it. My hubby bought buster for me in January after my second misscarrage we lost twins on Christmas day in 2004. I was really depressed and Buster took the depression away I mean how can anyone be depressed with a clown like him around. ruby I went out and bought on my own (with hubbys ok) because in July we were told that if we wanted kids we would have to do invitro and it is a step I do not want to take. Well after we got Ruby I became pregnant once agian as of yesterday I am 7 weeks along and things seem to be going good. I really belive that my pups helped relive enough stress that things will be great this time. I have my first ultrasound on Wednesday and will know for sure how things are going. I am still planning on breeding them even though hubby says a baby and puppies will be too much I think I can sway him :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Oh Dustymack, I feel so sad for you for the loss of your babies :cry: But how wonderful things have turned around and I believe you are right in the fact that the stress was relieved and enabled you to become pregnant :) I wish you well and please keep us updated on how things are progressing, both with the baby and with Buster and Ruby :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Oh my GOSH!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!
What a gift your puppies have been! I totally understand, having had adrenal problems after grieving the loss of my sister, and not being able to get pregnant for a long time after a miscarriage. The desire to get pregnant again and have another baby is SO strong! (Never was told that invitro was my only option) So I'll be especially praying for your pregnancy! Are you taking progesterone to be safe? Or is it not needed?

Way cool...your dogs are beauties, and such love just has to grow.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow! What an incredible story...congratulations on your pregnancy! That is wonderful news!!!
I have some things that I would like to discuss with you, regarding breeding your female...and I do tend to go on and on way too much...so I'll send a private message to you.
Glad you joined us!

1 - 20 of 372 Posts