Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benson is 11 weeks old now and doing wonderful! We visit our neighbor and her standard poodle, quite often for play time! Well, her female standard Black poodle is blacker than Benson, he has like a brownish tint to his black! He looks totally black until he is next to her! My question is, are there different blacks? I am wondering because his mom was a chocolate lab and father was a white standard poodle and I wondered why all puppies were black! Could he change color? His nose is black and his skin is blue.

Thank you!
Denise

·
Registered
164 Posts
hmmmm I dont know but im sure some of the breeders here might have an answer but I do know what you mean about different shades of black. To me, my doodle is as black as black can get but sometimes in the sun you can see some brown highlights, mostly around his face! But he is 14 months old and I dont think he is gonna be changing color now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woo Hoo! I think I did it! He is 9 weeks old in that pic so I need to take a new one! If I can get him to hold still long enough! LOL!
Thanks again!
Denise

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Denise, check out this post. There were questions about the black to silver or blue coloring. Jac talks about the "blue" being a poodle gene and has to do with the skin being "blue". Hope this helps. Benson is beautiful!

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... sc&start=0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! From the links I think he will be a blue, but who knows? LOL! He deffinantly is an odd black!

Denise

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Denise,
He is really gorgous! I am wondering if he is chocolate? Chocolate is a very dark brown...
I have seen many black doodles with brown muzzles...I think that Diane and Nancy were discussing a sable coloring that includes brown/black...but I am not familiar with it...I have seen a couple and they are really beautiful. I believe that Nancy of Doodlesville has sable puppies on her web page. (Sorry I don't have her web link.)
You could also look on the Rutland Manor web site for various colors...it is pretty interesting.
When breeders are trying for specific colors they can have the breeding pair DNA tested to see what colors they carry...sometimes they carry a collor that is not showing in their own coat. For instance, my girls are both blue but their DNA says that they carry black, cream/apricot/red. My Poodle is Chocolate and his DNA says that he carries NO black, but he carries brown, cream/apricot/red. Well our first litter with these dogs, a larger percentage of black and she had 3 beautiful light colored pups! I was shocked...but if you look at my dogs in the gallery and then look at Copper (Vicky...Jett and Copper's mom) you will see the amazing difference in their coloring. (Copper is from my litter with Chase and Lexie.)
The next litter we had, from the sister to my first female (Bayley), all pups were black! (Of the blacks in both litters, we have many turning blue.)
I know that this is confusing, it takes a study of genetics and coloring...but the link that I put on the above-referenced page helps explain it, I think,
Now that I have you totally confused...I'll say it again...your puppy is really gorgeous! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Jacque! I checked out Rutland Manor. What I understand is that he is a black, but because he carry's chocolate, his black is brownish. A true chocolate cannot have a black nose, which he does! Hope I got this right!

Thanks for the help,
Denise

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You are welcome! This is such an interesting topic and I always learn so much from the input from everyone...so thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts