Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canada is a real Houdini. She's smart enough to have figured a foolproof way to get her own collar off when she's out of sight, and so far we haven't been able to find her one she can't remove.

She's a typical lab with a broad neck and narrower head, so unless I want to risk strangling her by putting it too tight, I don't know what to do. I've tried nylon and leather flat collars, wider and narrower ones, a braided one, and choke chains.

She lays on her back, stretches her chin out, grabs the collar with her front paws and just slips it over her head. Takes her all of 10 seconds to accomplish. I don't want to put a harness on her while she's nursing, so am at a loss.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
While Cinnamon isn't a full lab, she also has a habit of taking off her collar. However, she'll unbuckle hers to get it off. Don't ask me how, she just shows up without a collar.

The collar we came up with we got at Petsmart. It's 1/2 choke chain and 1/2 nylon flat collar. When it's pulled on, it tightens but because it's got a nylon flat part, it doesn't pull too far as to choke her.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2751415

Cinnamon has yet to take this collar off herself. If she pulls on it, it just tightens.

Don't know if this will work for Canada, but it sure works for us!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
The rule is one finger under the collar........large fingers or 2 smaller fingers.
This can be scary on walks etc. It's not too tight if you cn get the one or 2 fingers under there.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have the 1.5 to 2finger rule with collars otherswise
HOUDINI princess Peanut slips out of hers

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Can offer no advice here. Just want to say WOW! Canada and Cinnamon are very clever dogs! I'm not giving Cali any ideas that taking her collar off is possible... :shock:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The Martingale is actually the safest i have found,,
it works like a choker, just not as tough on them
it tightens if they pull away

The reason we went to them rather then regular collars was because
We had a dog shipped in ,, she (st poodle 3000.00_ty very much)
she got loose from him when he stopped to take her to potty
thank god he is who he is or she would have been killed
can ya say wake up call
that is when we switched

·
Registered
309 Posts
I really like the martingale collars, I learned about them when we got our Greyhounds. Brodie wears a martingale collar when we go on walks or to PetSmart. I have never had a collar slip off while on leash, but on occasion the greys collars have slipped off in the yard while doing the poop walk.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, I'm going to order her a martingale type and hope she can't sneak out of it. She doesn't run off and not come back, but she loves to just trot across the road and sniff around at the neighbors. They only visit the place a weekend or 2 a month and have a lab they bring with them, so I think she's just being nosy... but I can't have her crossing the road.
Thank goodness as a rule she's very good about recall.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We use the same Premier Martingale Collar as well. We also use the Gentle leader which is made to fit tighter around the neck (almost one finger as opposed to two) with the muzzle halter adjusted tightly as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts