Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy had a stomach problem 3 weeks ago. The vet gave us a supply of w/d food for him and told us to put him on it for atleast 7 days. We did and now he's back on his prior food completely. Well last night it started all over again. He needed to be taken out every 2 1/2 hours and had diarehha each time (as he did two weeks ago for the full week). He seems happy, playful, and hungry and the diarehha is the only thing abnormal. He has been on Nutro since he started eating food at the breeders and we continued with that food here. The vet mentioned that it may be colitis and I was wondering if anyone has dealt with before or can give me anymore information on it. Is it a lifelong problem or will it go away? He will be seeing the vet tomorrow. Thanks for any insight or information you may have. I feel so badly for the little guy! Plus, its exhausting for my me and my husband!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Cassie,

We had a similar situation with our Sawyer, now 5 months and all better. He was tested (all negative) and prophylactically treated for parasites, then we changed his food to Eagle Pack holistic dog food on the advise of another Doodle mom (thanks, again, Bridget!) which finally worked. It is frustrating to spend so much time and money on meds and then they still do not get better, but it was important to rule out those issues.

Nutro is a good brand, I used to give it to my preivious dog, Ollie, but I have heard that it can give some pups diarhea. If you already know that your pup does not have worms you may want to try a new food.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Cassie,
I am sorry that you are going through this with your puppy. It makes every one miserable.
I agree that you might want to change foods...allergies can be caused by so many things and they can happen over night. It can't hurt to try.
I am glad you are seeing your vet because you do need to rule out anything serious, however, I agree that you can spend a lot of money on tests and meds and still get nothing but an educated guess.
So, I would continue to get the medical attention suggested by your vet, but try switching foods and see if that doesn't help.
You could also try a little bit of pumpkin...not pie mix, but canned pumpkin. Maybe 1-2 tbs once or twice a day...starting at the lower amounts. Many breeders use this to calm an upset tummy in puppies and dogs. It can't hurt! Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cassie-
Oh Colitis... We know about it all too well in our house! Colitis is just the general term for inflammation of the colon. It can be caused by many things: Internal parasites including worms and giardia, dietary indiscretion (eating things they shouldn't, like garbage!), Inflammatory Bowel Disease, or anything that bugs the good ol' digestive tract. We had the same problems with our puppy- she would have semi-normal bowel movements (like soft serve ice cream) for about a week, and then all of a sudden she would get a bout of explosive diarrhea. Diarrhea was her only symptom- she was happy, healthy, energetic, and hungry! Then we would try a new medication or a new food, and her stool would firm up. Sometimes it would be covered in mucous (another sign of colitis). Then a week later it would all start again. We had her tested for giardia, fecal tests for round worms, whipworms, etc., we had her on a dozen different medications (metronidazole, sulfasalazine, etc.) and prescription foods (eukanuba low residue, science diet i/d, etc.) and new regular foods (Nutro, Solid Gold, California Natural). She came up negative for everything, and all of the foods and meds were like band-aids. I did not want her on a prescription diet forever because she was so young and because the ingredients suck (to put it nicely). My vet (who I really do trust, but I had to go with my gut feeling) wanted to keep her on meds forever. I knew it wasn't inflammatory bowel disease or chronic colitis (which some dogs do have). The vet wanted to do a biopsy for inflammatory bowel disease, but I wasn't convinced. I knew she did well on the eukanuba low residue, so I started researching different kinds of dog food that had similar ingredients. Since low residue has chicken and rice, and she was fine on that, I found a food with chicken and rice in it. It's called Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken and Rice, and I should be their spokeswoman ( www.eaglepack.com ). Summer's first bowel movement after starting the Eagle Pack was the most perfect poop I had ever seen. She has not have a single bout of diarrhea since.
Sorry about the long history. Okay, the vet gave you science diet w/d which is a weight loss food, but commonly given to dogs with digestive problems that will repsond to an increase in fiber. People give their dogs canned pumpkin for the same reason... some poop problems get better with more fiber. I would definately bring in a poop sample to your vet tomorrow. If its not worms, it could be giardia. Giardia cysts often do not show up in a fecal sample that is run at your vet office (a fecal floatation). We had our poop sample sent out to the lab to have it tested for giardia (to rule it out). If you do this, make sure it is the ELISA giardia test. I would guess that your vet may prescribe metronidazole. It has mild antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties, so it will reduce the inflammation in your poor pups colon and hopefully kill any bad bacteria. I would also give a pro-biotic to try to fix the imbalance of bacteria. They get what is called Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) that also can cause colitis because the good bacteria in the system is out of whack. You can find them online or in some pet stores.
Once you rule out worms and giardia, I would switch foods. Something hypoallergenic may work. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would try different foods before medicating the dog.
With Summer, I really think she is allergic to wheat and beef. She hasn't been tested for allergies (that was going to be the next step) but if she has anything with beef or wheat in it, her stool gets soft. Eagle Pack holistic chicken and rice, and many of their other varieties are wheat free. Common allergens are wheat, corn, beef, chicken, dairy. She eats Buddy Biscuits Veggie Madness treats which are wheat and corn free. It's not that bad, she just can't eat steak and we have to be careful about what we buy her at the pet store! She stills gets lots of treats though- buddy biscuits, dried chicken breasts, cheese from a can, etc.
I am VERY sorry about this excessively long post! And I'm sorry to those of you who have read our saga before! I hope this helps though. Please keep us posted and let us know what the vet says. It's no fun with a sick puppy, and I remember those sleepless nights. I hope he gets better.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, Bridget! Great information...you are certainly the voice of authority here! I am glad that you kept looking for answers and it sounds like you found the right ones.
This information helps me too because two of my dogs has yeast infecitons now...caused by our wet, wet winter and probably a reaction to foods and I have been wondering how to go about finding the right one. So, thanks!
Plus...it is really nice to see a post that rivals mine in length! :lol:
Jac

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bridget....Thank you so much. Being a new puppy owner myself...you couldn't have explained it any better. You really put my mind at ease. I can do some research on foods and go into the vet knowing what she is talking about. Hopefully all it will turn out to be is a need to switch food. Again, thank you for the post and thank you everyone else who has responded. Whenever I spoke about it today at work I told my co-workers that I was hoping that my "Doodle Friends" would have some good info for me! My entire family knows that I belong to a forum about Labradoodles and that you all are my "Doodle Friends". I am so grateful for this site and have sent many nights and early mornings searching and learning so much about puppies and different experiences. Anyhow, I will keep you all posted. We go to the vet tomorrow at 4pm! :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good luck Cassie. Bridget, thank you so much for your informative post. We are in the midst of a similar dilemma. Toby was on Iams Large breed puppy since I got him at 8 weeks. He always was perfectly regular and very predictable. Then with no known changes he got terrible diarrhea..that wasn't getting better. I took him to the vet and we took stool samples. Came back clean. Diarrhea continued- finally put him on 250mg of metronidazole 2xdaily. Diarrhea cleared up on day three of treatment. All went well until meds ran out. 2 days without meds, diarrhea :cry: Very red blood. Back to vet. Back on metronidazole. Also, gave me three doses of panacur to give him for three consecutive days. He got the last dose of that last night and has 6 days of metron. left. Diarrhea cleared up after one day. We also, changed his food to prescription diet canned food for 3 days. He seems to feel great. The problem is, he is now out of the prescription diet and I still don't know what is making him sick. I don't feel comfortable putting him back on his old food. Should I mix the pd with another dry food for sensitive stomachs? By the way, he's six months old and otherwise very healthy acting. (Other than his poor eyes....that makes for another post) I'm thinking that I should just learn from you all and go straight to Bridget's food??? Would you be satisfied that we have ruled out parasites? I really would like any thoughts you would offer - I have a hungry boy here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi LeeBeth, We had the same thing here and I finally had to tell the vet once the last of the meds was done that I was going to change the food to Eagle Pack. I phased it in slowly so as not to stress his stomach out any more than it already was. Sawyer loved it from the begining. I have to travel an hour to get it, but it is worth it. I am so grateful for this advise!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my husband and I will try the EaglePack. It seems as though many owners have had good experiences with it. I am so anxious to get his to the vet tomorrow!!! Also, I just learned how to do the whole picture thing and I thought I would include a picture of Dunkin so you can all see what a cutie he is! Maybe one day I will learn how to upload into the gallery.

·
Registered
215 Posts
LeeBeth-
I'm sorry about Toby's poop problem! I wouldn't put him back on his old food because that's obviously a problem for him. I'm glad that you've ruled out parasites. And you didn't give him anything different? A new bone or treat? It makes me wonder because it was so sudden. But, I would try a new food. It is very frustrating not knowing what the problem is! I know Eagle Pack worked well for Summer, but I don't know if it will work for everybody. I do know that we tried some very high quality foods with high expectations and I think, as others on this forum have said, that many are too rich for dogs with sensitive stomachs. We switched from Nutro to Solid Gold thinking that the higher quality food would be better, but it didn't help Summer. California Natural was even worse. We were so sick of paying for bags of expensive food without any improvement. I don't know if it will work for every dog and every problem but please keep it in mind. I would try something for sensitive stomachs. Toby may have developed an allergy... I'm not sure.
I also wanted to say that Summer had such bad diarrhea the day we swtiched to Eagle Pack that we didn't mix the new food with the old food. It was all or nothing, and we saw the change immediately in her poop. Not sure if this would work for everybody, but just my experience. Oh, I wanted to add a link... http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/which_dog.html This is the chart that shows the different foods and what they are good for. I also looked at their Testimonial page... under diarrhea and vomiting. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope I've helped a little bit... I know how frustrating it is!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks a bunch, everyone. Bridget, the only thing that has been different for Toby at all is he had gotten more liver treats than usual because of intermediate school. I do think though that we had our first bout prior to that. Also, when I water the horses he likes to drink some of the well water. (he normally has city water) I don't let him do that anymore and am sending a water sample off to be tested. I am going today to get him EaglePack. I found a distributor 7 miles from me. Lucky, huh? I think I will just go cold turkey as he has already been off of the Iams for 3 days. Thank you and I'll let you all know. Cassie, you keep us posted as well. Oh, one more thing....Toby has been on the missing link Glucosamine supplement since he was 2 months old, do you think the glucosamine in EaglePack could replace that?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Everyone....We just got back from the Vet and the Vet decided that Dunkin should stay on the W/D food for another week. Now her suggestion for the next step surprised me. She thought it would be best to wheen Dunkin back onto the Nutro food but Adult not Puppy, like he was on. She thinks its a case of a sensitive stomach and said that the Adult food isn't as rich as the puppy food. We go back in 2 weeks for his last distemper and she said let's see how it goes and touch base then. If he's not doing well then we will take the next steps. I guess we will just have to see what will happen when we try out the Adult Food. I'll kepp you posted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cassie-
It may be that his stomach is sensitive so the adult food might work well. I know that Nutro came out with a new puppy food not that long ago for sensitive stomachs... it's the Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Chicken Meal, Rice, and Oatmeal formula. That might be something to look at. I'm pretty sure the same formula comes in adult too.
LeeBeth-
That's great that you found a supplier so close! The Pet Supplies Plus in our town carries it, so its not far for us either. Poor keywee said she drives an hour to get it! The things we do for these dogs...
I'm not sure about the missing link and Eagle Pack. I know they claim that they add supplements so you don't have to. I would maybe call them (their customer service is awesome!) because I would hate for you to overdo it. I'm not sure what happens if you over supplement Glucosamine. Super strong bones and joints maybe??? Toby could be 'Toby the Superdog!!!' I'll try to look it up if I have time later tonight...

Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope everybody's poop gets better!!!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
377 Posts
Cassie, My vet also recommended switching Toby on over to adult food. But after researching his current food a bit more, I just decided to go on and get EaglePack. I went this morning to the supplier here and she also was awesome- she spent almost an hour with me going over all of my alternatives and even had "Top Dog Foods for Total Wellness" from the Whole Dog Journal :p that listed pretty much all foods known to man. I ended up choosing EaglePack lamb and rice for Toby and for my 3 yr old Sugarbear (maltese). EaglePack also makes a large breed food that would not necessitate Glucosamine supplements for Toby but we are afraid of that because of his poo problems. I also went on and got the Senior formula for my 2 9year old pugs. It will keep me from having to give the little female Glucosamine. :) So, all in all I'll end up saving $$$. Ha! I will still have to give Toby the supplement as my vet recommends but I'm not going to do that until I get the tummy woes worked out. Thank you again Bridget for giving us the benefit of your trials and errors. Cross your fingers for the Tobster. Cassie, keep us posted as to whether your change works for you. Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As an addendum;;;; the EaglePack supplier I met here is also a groomer. She grooms a 1 year old Labradoodle who was a terrible shedder. He sheds very little now and what was a brittle coat is now a beautiful shiny one (he's on EaglePack Lamb and Rice) Wouldn't that be a great side affect??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Cassie
Thanks for sharing the pic. Glad you have figured out how to post on the forum. Would you mind explaining how you did it? I'm usually fairly computer literate, but I cannot figure out how to get pictures on the forum or in the gallery page. I would love to post some pictures of Sadie as she looks so much like many of the dogs I see on this site.
Thanks,
Jannie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi LeeBeth...I was thinking about just making the switch over to EaglePack. I have him on the Wd for a week so I have time to think about it. Although....he has had diarehha twice today and he's on the Wd. I am concerned. We will see what happens tonight and I'll give the vet a call Monday if he continues to have very loose stool. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the poop problems. I did have a problem with Star and diarrhea at one time. She was on a lamb and rice food. the vet said the lamb was too rich for her and Phantom, so I switched to a salmon based diet, and we have all good poops here now. Not one problem with dairrhea anywhere.

How to post a picture on the forum is best to use photobucket. Once you upload your picture, you use the IMG line. Copy and paste it here and you will have a picture here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Shannon- Phantom and Star are just beautiful!! They have really matured since I last saw them.

Cassie- It's really too early for me to say, but EaglePack seems to be working. We have had 2 good "times". You aren't giving any liver treats are you? Sorry to hear more diarrhea yesterday. Wonder what your vet would think of trying Prescription ID? Worked great here. You have ruled out all parasites right? Is he drinking plenty of water?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.