Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've always heard that dogs should have cold, wet noses. maggie's nose is almost always warm and dry. is that normal? in the absence of any other symptons, can i assume that she just has a different nose?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

actually only a very limited amount of dog breeds are supposed to have wet noses. A warm and dry nose is normal and healthy for a Labradoodle. Actually, when he does get a wet cold nose, that would actually be a sign of something wrong ;)

Bottom line: nothing to worry about ;)

Best,

Michael.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kris,
I have read that the whole thing about dog noses is an old wive's tale...nothing to it at all. Wet, dry, doesn't mean a thing.
Could be wrong...but I have read that more than once.
My dogs get both and they are not sick at either time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
HI Jac,

I don't agree.

These dogs are supposed to have dry noses.

They can get wet noses in only two ways:
- by licking their nose (which is quite usual), but the nose will dry up in a minute

- by nasal discharge

Obviously when nasal discharge occurs, there is a health reason to that.

So I stand by my earlier statement that when a doodle has a constant wet nose (and it's not clearly caused by licking action), you'll have to check for nasal discharge and potential other symptoms/health factors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of the first questions I asked the vet was about the nose. I thought all dogs were supposed to have a cold wet nose, and I noticed Lexi's was always warm and dry. I was so concerned something was wrong. He told me it doesn't mean a thing. All dogs are different. Lexi gets both now and I know that it's just normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts