Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to compare and contrast the 2 breeds? Are cockapoos sturdy enough for serious hikes in the mountains (2-3 hours on rugged trails)? Are they non-low shedding as f1B's? Hypoallergenic? Wonderful temperments if provided early training? Etc. Etc.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Don't know if anyone here has a cockapoo, but my suggestion would be to search for a cockapoo forum and to talk to cockapoo breeders to get that type of information on cockapoos

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I've only met two cockapoos before.. and really didn't like either of their temperments. The first one I met growled and barked at me nonstop because I assume she was very protective of her family. She ended up biting open a girl's kneecap. She was raised in a very friendly family who train their dogs, too. The second one I met was at puppy training class. He was very cute and soft, but very shy and cowered a lot, and whenever the trainer tried to put him on his back he'd bite her. I believe that cockapoos are low to nonshed and hypoallergenic the same way the LD's are since they're also crossed with the poodle, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else here has more and better information on cockapoos..

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My daughter had a rescued cockapoo for 13+ years. They lived with us for several years. Beaver was a very sweet dog..much the same as Tanner, my doodle. The main difference, in my opinion. the cockapoo was a barker. He was no shed, coat very similar to Tanner's. He was cuddly. My daughter certified him as a therapy dog and used him in her first grade class for the kids to read to :wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Bichon mix. I never was much of a fan of Bichon's, but the Cavachon's I've met have had wonderful temperaments and have been incredibly cute! :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have 3 cockapoos on my street - one is really sweet but she barks non-stop. I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up at 6am to her barking. The other two are siblings and they are fairly anti-social, but are sweet once you get to know them.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
rowendoodle said:
It's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Bichon mix. I never was much of a fan of Bichon's, but the Cavachon's I've met have had wonderful temperaments and have been incredibly cute! :D
TY for info - our friends had a bichon - she was a sweet girl, but what a yapper, always barking, high pitch, non-stop when she was outside, I dont think I'd care for a bichon mix

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI newaustralainlab.......are you still also considering a wheaton terrier vs an american f1b or f2 doodle or aussie doodle vs a cockapoo?

I wasn't sure which dogs you're comparing now
and
have any breeders you called been good assistance?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Riley's "friend" Cocoa is a cockapoo - he's pretty smart, kind of a barker, but relatively well behaved. Hw has a poodle type curly coat and does not shed. He gets along with Riley and most people but needs a firm hand to keep him in line.

He's 2 and about 6 months ago was a nipper, jumped up on people, chewed pillows and shoes...now with some training and a "pack leader" he doesn't do any of that anymore, but he does go a little bezerk when the doorbell rings :lol:

He's a good dog though, we considered a cockapoo at first but we really wanted a bigger dog than 15-25 lbs. Birdwalk Farm in Crossville TN is supposed to be a good breeder of Cockapoos, they breed a small number of Labradoodles as well, and I think there is a Labradoodle from there on this forum, with a Cockapoo cousin.

good luck in your search and I hope you find the right dog for your family soon - I know you have been looking for quite some time!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Our first dog was a cockapoo. She was a great little dog, very smart. I don't think we ever trained her. She just always stayed with us. She was a good athlete. We would bounce a ball into the pool and she would jump off the diving board and catch it in mid air. She had curly hair and I don't remember her shedding. She was not a barker and was very friendly. Unfortunately, she died when she was about two years old. Very sad story.

One of the reasons we got interested in a Labradoodle was because of our cockapoo, Scoots.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I have met a few at the dog park. They seem to have a lot of traits of the labra/goldendoodle. They were pretty shy, but also were the smallest dogs in the big dog area.

Are you more interested in the smaller size or are you asking because you prefer cocker spaniels to be in the mix?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
my neighbor, years ago had a Cocker, and she peed when she was happy to see you......my childhood friend is a prize-winning groomer and she says Cockers are a B#$ch to groom cuz of their temperment!!

Standard Poodles are NOT barkers, typically, Labs can be protective barkers. Neither are "yappy"

How about a Miniature F1b instead, to get the Cocker size and some of the Lab temperment?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well, to be fair, there are LOTS of dogs and breeds where that shows up.....I have a very limited exposure to Cockers. But my groomer/friend has seen plenty and was quick to speak up about her experience, so that has gotten my attention.

Having said that, the silky coat is lovely!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I posting some pictures of my best friend Peche who passed a couple of weeks after I got Jonah. He was a purebred cocker who all the vets he had in his 15 year life were shocked and pleased at his wonderful temperament even up to the day he died. I was so lucky to have this wonderful irreplaceable boy. He was the reason I never got another cocker.......it would have felt like I was replacing him. He did have the excitable peeing only if a stranger baby talked to him. He never barked til he was almost a year old.

This is Peche after an allergic reaction to the combo of his shots. For the rest of his life he had to have a shot of benadril at the same time. This was after the shot, but before the swelling went down.

Here's Peche around 8mo

And around 12

Sorry to hijack, but I just had a tearful trip down memory lane....thanks for indulging me..... :wink:

G

·
Gene,
Peche is GORGEOUS and will be waiting to greet you at the rainbow bridge! Your Mom and Peche are probably playing fetch right now and laughing at your tribes antics!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Maureen said:
Gene he was adorable! So pretty, and looking the same at 8 mos and 12 yrs!

but my question is, did your Peche have the same foul mouth that the actor Joe Peche does?

:wink:
Thanks......I actually pronounced it like in Depeche Mode...that's who he was named for. And yes he did have a foul (smelling) mouth in later years due to a dental problem. I was afraid to have his teeth cleaned because of the anesthesia. And the only thing he would do with chewies was walk around with them and cry trying to find a place to hide them....usually under my pillow, then later under my Mom's pillow(much to her chagrin)! :lol: The only thing that changed between 7 months and later was his hair got curlier.....and he got cataracts.

I know Peche and my Mom are playing together....she always told people he was HER granddog!! :wink:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts