Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about Sage's coat. Now, as a 11 week old puppy, she seems to be a pretty minimal shedder. Does anyone know if that actually means anything at this age? When she gets her adult coat, is it likely to be the same, or ???? It's not too important, but it would sure be nice if she wasn't a heavy shedder (we already have a cat that sheds enough to make a sweater--daily!) :lol: Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maureen-

I see, so, the coat type is a factor too. Well, she's an F1 and her coat is, what I believe, a wiry type coat. I think maybe she has some softer flatter hair/fur, and then the wiry-type fur. She's definitely more wiry than when we got her a couple of weeks ago. At what age can I expect her to "blow her coat" (boy that sounds messy!). And will she lose pretty much what she has and get a whole new coat?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hate to break it to you. When Boone was 11 weeks, I could cuddle him for an hour and have three or four hairs one me.
Now if he walks past me too briskly I look like a half-doodle myself.
Dunno if he's blowing his coat, spring shedding or what. But he is a shedder, and my house is covered in hair...thank god he's so cute.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tina--

So I guess I won't get my hopes up just yet eh? How old is Boone now? Just so I know what I might have to look forward to. I guess by a year (maybe sooner?) they'll have their adult coats? I found a site that is supposed to help you assess how much of a shedder your labradoodle is, but I guess I'll try again when she is older. :lol: Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Up until about a month ago, Bandit shed very little, now there is white hair EVERYWHERE! Luckily, he doesnt have the dander that goes along with it.

We thought it was just him blowing his puppy and/or winter coat, but its been going on for a month now, so really, who knows.

He's 24 weeks now: 5.5 months...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Doodles usually blow their puppy coats around 7 or 8 mos and it can last for several months. So you really won't know what kind of coat they will end up with until after a year old anyway. We love 'em no matter what kinda coats they have :) They just have that way about 'em :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Amanda-

the site for the shedding assessment is www.shadymapledoodles.com. If you go to the site and click on the "coats/sizes" button on the left it will take you to a page about coats. In the paragraph near the end is the link for the "Doodle Shedding Database". It's got some good info on this site. However, it sounds like I should put that on the back burner for Sage for a few months. Hopefully, if she does blow her puppy coat at 7-8 months, at least it will be summer so I can plan to be outside more :lol: Thanks all for the info! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts