Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow doodlers,
I just want to ask a quick question or three... :oops: At what age can you figure out the coat type of a labradoodle f1 puppy?? (length etc) and can you tell early on if he/she will have flece/hair/wool coat?? When do you start to notice the differences in coats within the litter??

I know it's probably hard to tell, but any insight on this would be great. Thank you! :wink:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good morning Sarah :) I think the questions you have asked are just about impossible to answer with an F1 litter of Labradoodles. The F1's are so unpredictable and appearances can be so extreme between the puppies. I can tell you, you will not get a wool coat on an F1 puppy, at least I have never seen one. You can start telling the difference in appearances around 5-6 wks of age on an F1 litter, some will be wavier than others, some will have a hair coat and be very labby in appearance. Some will start getting fluffy around their noses and will start showing the beard growth. But with that said, I have seen (and do have) at 9 wks of age a puppy that showed no beard growth, no doodle facial hair at all and was very labby in appearance but at 1 year of age is one of the most beautiful F1 Labradoodles I have ever seen and I am very proud to be the owner of this F1 Labradoodle "Phoebe". She has the prettiest coat of any of my F1 Labradoodles and you can see her on my website if you click the www button at the bottom of this post. I think when buying an F1, you almost have to be very flexible in what you want as far as looks go. Maybe someone else can add more to what I have said. Good luck :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Sarah. I wasn't too familiar with labradoodles and I didn't really have any coat expectations when I adopted Gus from a local rescue at 10 weeks of age. He looked like a lab puppy with a slightly pointier nose and a coat with a kind of wispy fringe. At 8 months he has the craziest coat! If I didn't trim the hair away from his eyes he would look a lot like Phoebe. Based on his puppy appearance I wouldn't have expected him to turn out so fuzzy! He DOES shed, but, only about 1/3 as much as my GSD mix.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Gus is such a cutie! :D

Our F1 pups are a week old now & you can so see the difference in coat textures, some have very wavy coats all over, some are slightly wavy and a few have almost straight coats. It's amazing, I'm truly loving these pups! x

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
that was totally interesting... my f1b pups are not all the same and I was wondering the same thing. they are all cute though! how many did you have?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Movistar, we had 11 pups & they are now just two weeks old! how old are your pups? what colours? & how many did you have? Oh, I'm a nosey devil :twisted:

All of our puppies have soft coats & feel like velvet, but some I suspect have hair in their coats as they feel not quite as soft at the tail end. The wavier ones seem to have the soft texture all over. It will be interesting to see how they develop, as it's still early days yet!
I will post some updated pics on this forum soon, so watch this space! :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts