Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was almost possitive that Mottna's coat was Fleece wavy but now I'm not so sure. She turned 4 months on March 11th. Her coat is nice and soft. It feels silky...but has texture...kinda like a greasy texture as if you added moose in your hair. Do you guys know what type she has?

Also, does she seem skinny or does she just have long legs? I know...it may seem silly to you. Just concerned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Shannon, I have a coat question also. Gunner has a very fluffy wavy coat. He feels super soft and the fur is getting very long. I have often wondered if he would turn out like Star, but lately, I have noticed the hair closer to the skin is real getting a crimped look. Is this normal or will his coat turn out curlier?

I am so anxious to know what type of coat Gunner will end up with. I love the fluffy dog look and don't mind the curl. In fact, it really doesn't matter it is just fun to have something else to obsess about and research.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Kind of looks like Sammy.... but Sammy's definitely not greasy, her skin actually gets a little dry (like all of ours in MN winter!). She is a little "crusty" at times in places for exmple if she was licking her paws or something.

Here's Sammy:

I love this one:
"MOM! I SWEAR I wasnt chewing on them... much."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sammy is actually quite soft. I would probably consider her "fleece" but it is still her puppy fur so its always tough to tell. Although the portion of fur above her shoulder blades is not as fluffy as that down herback which is funny.

it may ber her coat changing?

MISSY: no one has addressed your second question about Mottnas weight. You are supposed to be able to slightly feel their ribs but they should not feel like they are right there under the skin. There should feel like there is some "insulation" there. With puppy's it is tough to know if they are at their ideal weight because they go through growth spurts so sometimes they might grow fast for a couple of weeks and get a little skinnier, then when the growth stops their weight can catch up. My vet recommended that we stay at the higher end of the food portion recommedations on the bag. With all the energy that these puppys have they burn a lot of calories.

If you are concerned that Mottna is a little underweight try giving her an extra treat during the day, such as a kong filled with plain yogurt (frozen before you give it to her), cream cheese, or even peanut butter- the low sugar kind (1-2 tablespoons). That can get a few more calories in her along with some protein and a little fat.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
972 Posts
You knw the fur between her shoulder blades could be the weird thing that dogs have like when they get mad or ready to fight, the fur stands up on their back. That could be the wiry hair. I don't know if poodles have that, but labs do. And it is right beteen their shoulder blades and feels different than the rest of their fur.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thats a good point... I never thought of that! She is an F1... so that lab influence is prominent.

I just had to post another pic or two to try to show you another "hair" thing that I am amazed at on Sammy...

She has the most incredible EYELASHES!!! I mean these things are over an INCH long!

I tried to take some pics to show it... if you look closely you can see them. You will be thinking, "no not those things there...?" YES. Those ARE her eyelashes! I am JEALOUS!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's funny...her eyelashes look like they might be slightly curly as well! Who aouldn't kill for lashes like those! Your puppy is very very cute. My hubby said that her and Mottna look like they could be sister's. Are they the same age?

Mottna's ribs are slightly insulated. She has access to food and water all day up until 5pm. She never finishes it all and leaves a little less than a 1/4 of a cup in the bowl. Maybe because I bought her at 4 months...I'm concerned. I'm just used to puppies being rollie pollie but, Mottna IS older.
Also, her fur may be greasy because her coat is soo dense that I may not have gotten all that dirt and grime out of her coat when I gave her the first bath. I also used advantage afterwards and took her to the groomer to get the hair in her ears plucked. You know how that ear wash can be....sticky and greasy. Who knows....maybe she's just an oily girl. Are poodles oilier? She's an F1B.
I have another question. How often am I to give Mottna a bath. I read just twice a year. But since she's more poodle.....would I do more? Also, what about dry shampoo? Thanx everyone.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hi Missy! Mottna is a beautiful puppy! I'm certainly no expert, but the long lean look seems to be common in Labradoodle puppies. I took this picture of Dakota yesterday--he turned four months on March 6. His long legs make him look skinny, but at 38 pounds he's anything but!! Where in California do you live?
Diane

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awwwww! What alot of cuties! Missy, maybe Mottna has the slimness of the poodle since she is f1b. I think she is a lovely size ... very elegant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone.....looking more at the standard poodle, I can see very much of it in Mottna.

I am located in San Diego North County. I'm still planning on posting reminders of a romp that will be held the 4th saturday of april at the San Clemente Dog Park. That's pretty far off so it gives plenty of time for a heads up. Sacramento is too far but, I've heard of them setting up romps on the Doodlezoo. Maybe you should think about taking your big guy to one of those since he's of age now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts