Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what the texture of your doodles coat is. The hair on Chloe's head is soft and silky but the hair on the rest of her body is extremely course and "kinky". Is there any shampoo that I should be using to make it softer? Will it soften as it grows?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle has diff texture hair, around her neck, it's curly and kinda frizzy, head has some curl and soft and rest of body has semi soft waves

I use conditioner when I bath her, it helps soften her hair

How's life in your new house, are the pups settling in ?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ozzie's got what I describe as "junkyard dog" hair. Kind of wavy and scraggly. It appears like it would feel soft to the touch, but I think the texture feels more like a cross between a 50 year old Pendleton blanket and 000 Grade steel wool.

Ozzie is overdue for a bath and so is my car, so I think I'll dunk him in a bucket of warm soapy water and use him to scrub the tires!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner's face, muzzle and ears and tail are very silky with a little wave. The area around his nect and down the front of his chest is soft and curly. Similar to a poodle but the poodles that I have felt are much coarser and wool like. The rest of him is fleecy, long it goes in to ringlets or dreds, short it just looks fleecy smooth.

I use the Best Shot products but what ever my groomer uses makes him much silkier. Maybe there are some groomers on the forum who would know what that might be.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke's hair sounds similar to Tanner's. Her hair is extremely soft - in fact people almost always comment on it when they first touch her. I've noticed that as her hair is growing out from her last cut, the curls seem to be looser than they were before. She is getting more of the wavy "dreadlock" type hair now. So far I haven't had any matting problems, and I try and brush her once a day, at a minimum every other day. Her hair has more of a "poodle" look to it when it is shorter, but without the coarseness.
I don't know what our groomer uses, but she ALWAYS looks much prettier and fluffier after she bathes her !

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter has soft fleece all over his body...

Kirby has fairly soft fur, but it is more curly (poodle like) around his butt.

As you know, I love Best Shot products - they make both doodles more soft.

I haven't really observed much of a change in Dexter's coat as he aged...

·
Registered
448 Posts
The hair on the top of Nicky's head is soft and curly. His chest and leg hair is soft, but much straighter. His back has coarser, wavy hair that looks best cut short.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Chas.....in that picture, Ozzie looks ready to comply! I think I'd wash him again after he does the tires though...... :wink:

Jonah is softly coarse everywhere, Miko is referred to by my family as the velveteen rabbit, and Rumor's hair feels as soft as human hair!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut has cottony soft fleece
MAX soft then coarse from past shoulders down back
Beau soft/silky fleece but rear part of him is slightly coarse

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie is super soft like a chenille sweater. As he's aged, he's starting to develop a few slightly coarser spots on this back.

Deb

·
Registered
659 Posts
gene said:
Chas.....in that picture, Ozzie looks ready to comply! I think I'd wash him again after he does the tires though...... :wink:
I gave Ozzie a "real" bath today and dripping wet, he looks like some kind of poodle/demon dog. After he dried and I brushed him out he resembled a small yak.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut who looks like a polar bear dry has ringlets when wet and takes hours to dry. She's the same size whether wet or dry hahahaa

Beau OMG he too curls a bit when wet but POOFS out with big wavy stand up curls when he dries hahahhahaa they take about 4 days to flatten down a bit.

Max is just Max and dries in 20min ususally!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here in Florida Abby dries in minutes :D She has a combo coat as well. It's soft yet wooly slightly coarse with a hint of vanilla and spice--Ooops that's the wine I'm drinking :oops:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Tuesday's hair is a wavey/coarse/hair, but her puppy Marley, has soft curls that are really noticable after having taken off the first 3/4"of his puppy coat. He has no coarse hair & I would no way call him wooly, so I am assuming he is a curly Fleece? And the Best Shot trio is the best...I love how he feels and smells after a bath! This pic shows how he curls up after a romp in the snow.
He is amost 5 months, anyone have a clue as to how his coat will look at 1 yr?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's so hard to say off of pictures what the coat will do as they get older. I would guess a soft curly fleece but that is a guess.

Tejas has soft fleece with some Kemp which of course is not what we want to see as a breeder, Murphy's coat is silky soft and wavy I hope it doesn't get to curly as he ages, Jasper my new guy has a thinner fleece coat with a little wave in it which will be great compliment to the thicker coats some of my girls have.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA i keep seeing you use the word KEMP
KEMP coat as in? i am not sure what you mean, would you mind giving me a tad more info? as someone else asked me about Kemp other day too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts