Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question regarding coat texture:
Bella has always been cottony soft. Her tail is now feeling wiry. Will her coat change in TEXTURE when she blows her puppy coat? And could this be happening now? She is 6 months. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Its my understanding that they do lose their puppy coat, but its been my experience so far that the fleecy coats dont seem to change in consistency, but I have seen a short soft coat change to a wirier coat but is still remained shed free. Its possible this is whats happening. If so you may love it as its a virtually groom free coat :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Movistar! She is also turning silver. At what age do they stop turning silver? I see Trystan is part black and part silver. Your dogs are beautiful!
I saw a gorgeous red Labradoodle at the park yesterday. I couldn't wait to pet her wavy coat and was surprised by the wiry feel. It still looks soft, but it wasn't. I guess I thought there were fleece coats, wool coats and short, flat coats. I did not know there were wiry, wavy, long coats!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thank you for the compliment, I love my doggies :) Trystan (my first love lol) is a little more wiry than fleecy. Like I said earlier its such a blessing because he is truly maintenance free! Having been a poodle person for so long its just amazes me that you can have a dog that doesnt require grooming!

As fas as silver, Trystan is 2-1/2 years and you can see he isn't all silver. The more I look at the Blue the more I think thats his color because he didnt silver out.

Here is a pic of one of his pups from last litter he is silvering immediately as he is about 12 weeks in this picture. I have heard it said it can take up to 3 years to fully silver, but Trystan has looked the way he does for a year now so I think he is done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My guys coat is wirey on the topline like a lab, and the rest of him is poodle with curls. We get him clipped every 8 weeks because his coat is so think. He looks cute though!

My guy will be 2 in November.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coat shedding

Can anybody tell me when labradoodles are likely to shed their coats and whether this can manifest itself in baldness! Our dog Murphy is nearly 5 months old and his leg fur is extremely matted. It's falling out in small clumps from his legs, underside and chest and he has bald spots all over these areas. The vets are baffled but admit to knowing very little about labradoodles ... any advice warmly welcomed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts