Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for info but wasn't coming up with anything...

I thought we had an all black dog (with a white spot on his chest) - but today he was getting his last shot and was playing with his fur while we waited. When I finally found his skin (he's got a ton of hair) I realized it looked "blue." I asked the girl what color she thought it was and she quickly said that it's blue. I always thought his black color was a bit different from his siblings when we got him - but then he had a different coat texture as well so I thought that might have been the difference.

So does this mean he is a Blue Labradoodle? If so, will he change color as time goes on? Does that mean I have to make corrections about his color or do you still just call him "black" since most people don't know what blue is? I just got him microchipped two weeks ago and they put that he was "black and white"... (I thought that was weird too since he only has that one tiny spot of white on him).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
technically blue is still Black, their skin has bluish hue and the coat coat also has a bluish sheen to the black. Blues do NOT silver or not supposed to.

i'll find a link i think its on the ILAA or another one that lists coat colors

Max was considered a blue as a pup

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. I tried to google a link, but the ones I find don't seem to work anymore. His littermates actually were silvering when we got him - but seemed to have more of a hair coat so I was afraid to get one (b/c of allergies) even though I realy like the silver ones. But I have not seen any silver on him...so I think he'll stay dark. But then, he's only 4 1/2 months old...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
silvering can happen anytime as they get older, max developed a tiny scattering of white hairs around age...10 or 11mos? whereas my neighbor's doodle it didnt' start till after 1 yr of age

a coat and color can change quite a bit in the 1st year and take up to a full 3years to completely know

Annabelle was jet black as a pup completely silver now and gorgeous i might add

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie has the blue skin pigment as well. I expected him to stay completely black but as you can see from his avatar, he has alot of chocolate on his muzzle.

Deb

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have always wondered about this too. I am posting a picture of Jett's skin color, it is graphic, post TPO Surgery, but is this the blue hue that is talked about?

I will post her picture below after a few blank lines so no one gets a peek who doesn't want too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Deb, I was told that the brown on the muzzle is most likely from bleaching from the sun not actual coat color. Jett has that too.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MIJA is absolutely STUNNING, i love her BLUE DEEP BLACK color and her coat is awesome as is her temperament and training!!!!
as my mom says" she is to die for!" :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jett is definitely a black dog then. What do you think about Annabelle. She is a pretty silvery/blue color. Could she be a blue?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've seen dogs color change from the sun and from the iron in water and from saliva stains but I don't think that is all the Charlie has. His chocolate muzzle is too pronounced. He also has small chocolate spots on the back of this front paws. That has been there from the time we got him at around 8 weeks. He also has lighter brown eyes instead of the dark, dark brown/black you usually see on black/blue poodles.

The muzzle isn't always as noticeable as his avatar photo. This was taken on a very sunny day.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max still has blue skin .......and sometimes when he acts up he makes ME feel BLUE 8) :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Doggonecrazy said:
Jett is definitely a black dog then. What do you think about Annabelle. She is a pretty silvery/blue color. Could she be a blue?
I have never noticed Annabelle's skin to be bluish, it's more pinkish so i'm guessing she would be considered Silver??

. She started getting some silver in her by 12 weeks. AB also has the brown on her nose and around her eyes and her hair is several different shades of silver, depends on how the light hits her.

When she sits still long enough I'll re-check her skin

5 weeks

11 weeks

16 weeks

19 months

looks a little darker here

Lighter here

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette has blue skin as well, but I am seeing the occasional white hair in among the rest, and she also has developed a small patch of silver on the front edge of each ear, plus some on the back edge. Her muzzle is getting browner, like Charlie's, and she has brown under each eye. She too was a pure black puppy. So if she started off as a "blue," I don't think it tells you much about what will happen down the road. The shifts are fun to watch, though.

Leslie

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette has blue skin as well, but I am seeing the occasional white hair in among the rest, and she also has developed a small patch of silver on the front edge of each ear, plus some on the back edge. Her muzzle is getting browner, like Charlie's, and she has brown under each eye. She too was a pure black puppy. So if she started off as a "blue," I don't think it tells you much about what will happen down the road. The shifts are fun to watch, though.

Leslie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is amazing to me how many changes the coats go through... It will be interesting to see how Shadow turns out, but it sounds like you really wont know for sure for several years. Thanks for all the pictures! I would post a new one of Shadow but he just got groomed for the first time and they screwed up his face so I don't want to!!! (The avatar is from the first day I got him)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wow! Laurie!! I went to summer school at Cambridge University in 1969!
I absolutley love your city/town. Surely it has grown since I was there.

It was a very peaceful place....I learned a lot!

Your Dulcie is sure going through changes....as is my Coco! I don't know what color she is going to end up being! She was Chocolate, and is in some light....but with many silver and blonde-ish highlights!

Nice to meet you!
8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our Cody was a jet black puppy when we brought him home. He has blue skin. He has since developed a chocolate and silver muzzle, chocolate and silver on his legs and silver roots to the hair on top of his head.

He also seems to have two different types of coats. The hair on his head is definitely fleecy, but the hair on his body is coarser (like lab hair, only MUCH longer and wavy).

It's very interesting to see the changes. I have no idea what he'll look like in 2+ years, but its fun to watch.

And one of these days I'll get pictures of him from my husband's computer so I can share. :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hey Annmarie, glad you posted that website - I always wondered why the apricot doodles had black noses, and Tyke has the rose pigment - she is actually a CARAMEL! She actually has these really rich gold tones in her hair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts