Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chewbacca's parents (from the parental Certified Pedigree papers) are Mom is a YELLOW Labrador and Dad is a Brown Poodle. The documents that came from a highly respected breeder list him as a Chocolate Labradoodle. At 12 weeks we are seeing more and more silver appearing on his back and face...Just curious about what the final color(s) maybe...thoughts please.

Photos of coat at:

http://web.mac.com/themaj/iWeb/Chewbacc ... stion.html

Thanks,

Chewbacca, Jim & Honey

[/img]

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't really have an answer to your coat question, except to say that a lot of the doodles seem to lighten up in colour as they mature. Our Sadie is apricot, but the hair around her nose has lightened to a cream colour so she has "natural highlights."

I did want to say that Chewbacca's website is awesome! Did you create it yourself?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Website comment

Jannie,

Thanks for the complement - we do websites for clients as part of our business (I'm the techno geek). However Chewy's site is a simple iWeb site that anyone create using the Macintosh iLife software suite.

Jim

G

·
Jim,
Your question made me curious. I know black labradoodles can turn silver if they carry the silver gene, but I was unsure if thet can happen to Chocolates. I found a poodle site with good photos and it states that Chocolates can and do turn silver. It is very rare however. Maybe you are just seeing the normal lightening in color. I think it would be so cool to have a Chocolate Silver. Hopefully someone with more color/genetic knowledge will post. Here is the site I found:
http://robbelee.tripod.com/id12.html

G

·
He could also be on his way to becoming a Cafe au Lait color (which I love!) Here is another informative color page. Chewbaca has the right color eyes (hazel) and nose to be a Cafe au Lait. His eyes are gorgeous! The web page states the cafe au lait color must be the same color from the root to the tips of the hair, or I guess it would be fading and not actual color? In your photo, it looks like it is the same color to the roots, right?
Or maybe he is a very rare Lavender? :lol:
http://www.labradoodleasd.com/ASD-CoatsandColors.htm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Café au Lait...

Linda, you may be on to something...the hairs of lighter color are in fact from the root to the tip...

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
that is so funny. our labradoodle guinness has a chocolate poodle dad and a cream lab mom. when my dad picked guinness out he was all chocolate and when we went back 3 weeks later he had a sliverey white/ grey "mask" arround his face. He now has silver and brown everywhere and has a brown nose. we are starting to notice that he has red highlights at the tips of his hair on his back.verry interesting
Emily and guinness

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I don't remember where I read it, or if it's accurate, but I remember reading that the color of the hair between the paws will be the predominant color of doodle. With Jonah this appears to be true. His head is getting silvery like his pad hair.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, your dog may lighten ... even to almost grey! Poodles carry a dilute gene and it causes them to turn lighter...there is also a gene, I believe it is the P series that cause dogs to turn silver (from a dark color at birth.)
There are quite a few posts on this forum regarding color genetics, in fact, there is a current one going on now... http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ight=molly , look towards the last page or two...that's where it gets more technical and gives links for colors...
But what I'd love to show you is Molly's posts where you can see her dark chocolate Poodle and within 18 months, see her again as nearly completely silver! She looks like a diffierent dog! (Molly is a littermate to my Poodle, Chase, and he is beginning to show silver hairs too, but he is still very dark chocolate in color.) I found the pictures, this shows Molly as dark brown (she is on the left) http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ight=molly and here she is in a more recent picture...amazing difference! http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ight=molly

G

·
Great info Jac! Thanks! So a liver nose dog can't turn silver (I think that is what I read.) So it looks like Chewbaca, because of his liver nose, will be cafe au lait or the very rare lavender. How exciting!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foot Pad Hair Color

Gene maybe on to something. Here is a photo of Chewbacca pad...sure looks like silver coming out...he'll be 12 weeks old on Saturday.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I honestly do think that silver beige is the same as lavender! In fact, I have a book on genetics and they say that lavendar is really a cat color, that it is the same look but called something different in dogs (can't recall right now what it is called for dogs, but silver beige is very close.)
Cool, huh? I hated science when I was young...now, because of dogs, I am learning all I can! :wink:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Gene - I had read that about the hair between the pads a long time ago too. So, I thought my toy poodle was going to be silver because she had quite a few white hairs between her pads at birth. But, she has stayed black and she's 8 years old now. So maybe it's true in general but there are exceptions? :?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Looks like our Jac has this whold DILUTE gene thing covered! :wink:

There seems to be levels of dilution, as cafe aulait is a lighter chocolate and silver beige is even lighter still.

I'm glad it's been clarified that a chocolate dog cannot be a true silver. but the dilution of their coat does often resemble a shimmering silvery process, or shine, it's true. I think that must be why someone came up with silver-beige. Did any of you know there are about 23 colors for poodles? The tricky part - or the secret - is that several of them come out later in life, AFTER registration has been completed!

Whoever started using "lavender" with dogs? Was it the same person who calls Labby coats "Hair" coats, even tho Poodles HAVE true hair coats?

that's a whole other topic, so i'll shut up now.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Maureen...know who decided to use the color lavendar?

the same older women that dye their hair that color and don't seem to realize it :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts