Labradoodle Forums banner

Closing and healing a wound without stitches

104K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  DogsLuv 
#1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know of a solution of some sort that will help close and heal a wound on a dog?

Yesterday I was cuddling my doodle and was shocked to find that she has a slit wound on her leg about 1/2 an inch long. The wound is on the inside of her leg at the top of her leg. It wasn't bleeding when I found it and didn't have blood around it either. It doesn't have pus and it doesn't smell. So, it doesn't look infected. However, it's deeper than a scrape. It looks like we can help it to heal if we can find a bandage that will hold the two edges together and of course I want to be sure to apply the right solution to it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

If I wasn't in a tough financial situation right now, I'd take her to the vet and ask them, but I thought I would at least try and ask here first if you guys have found anything to help your dog's wound heal.

Thank you so much for your help.

#2 ·
You can try cleansing it out with hydrogen peroxide and water

2. then put POLYSPORIN preferably or neosporin on the cut liberally apply it, apply guaze over it
2. Next use the stretchy type of ace bandage that sticks to itself, cut down to size
3. most animals will leave it in place for a day......keep checking wound

the polysporin aids in the wound to heal and seal quickly....ace bandage it to keep it from letting any dirt in
and also have dog leave wound alone.

giving vitamin E oil tablets can be given with meal.....aids in skin repair/healing

#19 ·
You can try cleansing it out with hydrogen peroxide and water

2. then put POLYSPORIN preferably or neosporin on the cut liberally apply it, apply guaze over it
2. Next use the stretchy type of ace bandage that sticks to itself, cut down to size
3. most animals will leave it in place for a day......keep checking wound

the polysporin aids in the wound to heal and seal quickly....ace bandage it to keep it from letting any dirt in
and also have dog leave wound alone.

giving vitamin E oil tablets can be given with meal.....aids in skin repair/healing

#3 ·
Thank you so much for your help. We have gotten through the first part of your advice. But, now we are having a problem with the location of her wound. Since it is at the very top of the inside of her leg, it's at the widest part of her thigh and it's where her leg moves back and forth. So, the cut opens and closes when she moves her leg. What we need is some sort of very sticky band-aid that will hold the two edges together so that they will not open and close every time she moves her leg. Or, if there is some sort of glue. We read online that some people have used super glue on animals and on themselves instead of stitches for smaller wounds, but I am afraid of using super glue because I don't know what chemicals are involved. So, I wonder if there is either some sort of glue type of stuff for dogs that I could get at a pet store or if there is some sort of sticky little band-aids that will keep the wound closed when she moves her leg. If this wound was on the straight, long skinny part of her leg it would have no problem staying together when bandaging, but this location is tricky to keep the wound shut. Even though it is just a half an inch long, when she moves her leg a certain way, it stretches the wound open.

Surprisingly, she has shown no pain over this & acts as happy as can be.

#4 ·
For paper cuts or razor cuts on humans I use Krazy Glue to close the wound. I would follow AM's cleansing advice then glue it. It will hold for several days giving the cut time to heal.

#6 ·
you can also USE what they call STERI-STRIPS what they are is like mailing tape with strings..........they are like stitches or what my doctor has shown me
to do in past aka "butterfly stitches" they come in long strips and then use glue on ends

when putting on steri strips you may want to do zig zag or cut and do X's then either use medical glue
OR buy the paper cloth made by johson, oh if it gets wet, leave it to dry on wound cause then it sticks even better
and then check bandage in 2 to 3 days

#7 ·
When I got Sera, she was badly matted. After I shaved her, I found a similar wound on the back of her neck. It was either from the matting, or an injury. I used neosporin on it for 2 days and it healed and closed up all on it's own. With the placement of yours, I would first shave around it....then as Annmarie suggested, maybe a butterfly bandage, some gauze and put a t-shirt on her. Should heal up fine in a couple of days.
Good luck and keep us posted.

#10 ·
Like AnnMarie said, steri-strips are like stictches and will bring both edges together. That is also what I would suggest. I would first clean the wound, put some polysporin on it, then the steri-strips and finally wrap it so your dog doesn't try to undo your work. Good luck!

#12 ·
#15 ·
When our puppy that passed away last year started to get tumors that pushed through the skin, our vet told me to use liquid bandages that you can get at wal mart. Didn't really work for our puppy, cause she didn't seem to mind the taste and wouldn't stop licking, but it might work for your puppy!

#16 ·
It doesn't have pus and it doesn't smell. So, it doesn't look infected. However, it's deeper than a scrape. It looks like we can help it to heal if we can find a bandage that will hold the two edges together and of course I want to be sure to apply the right solution to it to make sure it doesn't get infected.???

#17 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know of a solution of some sort that will help close and heal a wound on a dog?

Yesterday I was cuddling my doodle and was shocked to find that she has a slit wound on her leg about 1/2 an inch long. The wound is on the inside of her leg at the top of her leg. It wasn't bleeding when I found it and didn't have blood around it either. It doesn't have pus and it doesn't smell. So, it doesn't look infected. However, it's deeper than a scrape. It looks like we can help it to heal if we can find a bandage that will hold the two edges together and of course I want to be sure to apply the right solution to it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

If I wasn't in a tough financial situation right now, I'd take her to the vet and ask them, but I thought I would at least try and ask here first if you guys have found anything to help your dog's wound heal.

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi their , my dog has the similar situation going on and i cant seem to hold the gauze in place do to him moving and where its at. I was thinking about butterfly strips but not sure and i am afraid to shave around the area. What did you end up using? Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.