Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dex is 10 weeks old, and he still won't attempt the stairs, either inside or the stairs going out. I try to coax him, but he won't do it. Is this unusual 10-week old behavior? For how long should I continue to carry him out the door?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
This is very normal behaviour.
Denver went through this stage as well.
You can try coaxing with a treat/toy/praise but I would not
worry about it. Just remember to always supervise your puppy
around stairs as it is hard on puppy legs.
Denver took a while and got over his fear of stairs around
20 weeks old. :wink: :wink:
I understand the difficulty of carying a growing puppy up and down the
stairs and I used a lead and walked him slowly
up and down for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I dont think they are supposed to do much stair climbing yet (hips), but I finally had to teach Sandy it was ok just by dragging (sounds worse than it is) him down and up, down and up, down and up until it was second nature to him. He kept chasing the kids off the deck, but instead of going down the porch stairs, he'd leap off! I figured stairs would be the lesser of two evils in this case.

He still won't do a NEW set of stairs - just the short ones he is comfortable with. I will continue to carry him down the main staircases in the house.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Yeah be very careful w/the young puppies on the stairs. We literally carried Dexter down stairs until he was 3-4 months old. After that we took him up and down almost exclusively on a leash so he wouldn't go too fast. I still try to keep him calm going up and down in the house and he's 9 mos old.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Agreed, stairs are really bad for large dog's hips, so use caution...but to teach the technique, I sit on the stairs, usually starting at the bottom...and put a yummy treat on a step. After he eats one or two, I put it on the next one up, and continue for about 4 or 5, then do the same on the down...add a step every day...or put the treat up every 2nd step so they realize that they need to climb.
Most of the fear in stairs can come from the "enclosure" if it is boxed in on both sides by a wall.
My dogs learned on their own for the smaller, deck-type stairs (5) but Nitos just now learned an indoor staircase...it was very scary to him, but he did it! :wink:
Oh, by the way, dragging works, for sure, but when I used the dragging with Nitos, he really dug in his heels and refused to go near the stairwell! So be careful not to make your dog frightened of the "area".

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Jac I totally agree with you - but I was afraid he'd shatter his tiny little bones by jumping off a 3ft high deck! He won't even jump off the couch yet, but he has no problem taking a flying leap in the backyard. Training him to do it slowly wasn't an option because he'd just jump before I could grab him. He isn't afraid of going up - up wasn't scary, he just couldn't get the motions right with his hind legs. It was down that if I even began to walk him near it with a leash he'd dig his feet in and wouldn't come near the stairs until I'd give slack with the leash - then he'd start a sprint, right off the deck. And if he's leashed, I usually have to go with him or else he'll strangle himself.

It only took about 3 or 4 times before he got it down. Now I don't worry so much!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I feel better about him not using the stairs yet :)

More photos will be coming later today, I promise!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, Kristen! I wasn't judging!! I know how hard it is with these dogs! And I have a porch jumper too...and that has to be far worse on their joints...we do what we have to do to make them as safe as we can...in SPITE of themselves! hahaha

Looking forward to the photos!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Oh I know you weren't! I just wanted to make sure I was clear why I chose to drag, rather than bribe :) I know it isn't always the best option but for us, it was. Sandy is like my daughter in puppy form. I've found I have to get him to do new things the same way I have to get her to do them - a little forcefully at first, but then you get to step back and watch them take off with their newfound knowledge :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
stairs

When my pups were small I would carry them up all but the last two steps and when they got use to that I did four steps until they figured out it was okay. I was glad when Walt finally learned to use the stairs cause he was a big heavy boy.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When Jonah was 6mo, I was still carrying him downstairs from my then room. At 55# it was getting ridiculous!! He would go up, no problem. I had hurt my back and came down alone one morning. He followed me after 5 minutes of whining! I praised him and the next time I came down without him, he started to whine again. I looked at him and said...."either you do it on your own, or stay there!". Down he came..... It's been no problem since! :wink:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

That little devil!! :twisted:

I caught him 4 stairs up chewing on my slippers!

What a little faker, he is goofing with me. Four stairs up for a slipper!!! HAH......SNAGGED!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ellabee said:
UPDATE:

That little devil!! :twisted:

I caught him 4 stairs up chewing on my slippers!

What a little faker, he is goofing with me. Four stairs up for a slipper!!! HAH......SNAGGED!!!
hahhhaha I LOVE IT!! you were just DOODLIZED hahhaha i used to help max up on my bed when he was younger . he'd stand there and whine and cry etc....then one night i was brushing my teeth and he did a doodle run and a half almost clearing my king sized bed in one leap :shock: after that i'd get in bed and ignore the whines hahhahaa like Gene

Max had fooled me in the beginning NOT anymore and same with Peanut. she'll let you carry her all the time if she had her way hahhhhaaa she's only 30lbs but feels more like 50 to me!! little butterball

BUT i do remember both max and peanut being scared of steps, sliding doors etc till they were at least 3.5mos or 4mos old. I act nonchalant and keep walking if they really are scared, yes i pick them up.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

Dexter can now scale the sofa in one leap..... :shock: :shock:

And so it begins, huh......... :twisted: :wink:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
LOL Sandy just figured out he could do that this morning in the midst of the bird panic! He was able to scramble up before, but when that bird flapped his wings at him, he took a flying leap and cleared it no problem!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
from annmarie to LYNN and Kristen: let the doodle GAMES BEGIN!! hahhahahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahhahhahaaaa heh heh heh :twisted:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts