Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been looking through here and everyone seems to have a different idea on how to clean the ears out. I think Leno has another yeast infection...it looks and smells like it did before. So I went and bought vinegar today. Im just confused on how to do this since one person says one thing and then someone else says something different. Is it 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water??? and how much do I put in? Also, I think someone mentioned to do the vinegar solution after every swim at the beach, so should I be doing that??

Sorry to bring this topic up again, I just want to make sure im doing this right! Thanks to anyone who replies :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
THE answer for cleaning ears!!!

This is what I use for myself, wife, son, and now Bandit.

Vitamin E oil (as high IU as you can find 20k [food quality for internal and/or external use])
with Tea Tree Oil (malelueka - Austrailian) 100% oil VERY strong and goes a LONG way.

Mix these together... essentially 20:1 ratio VitaminE oil is your base, and the tea tree is the antiseptic (active agent, easy on amount you mix in as it can burn inside the canal). Basically we bought a 2oz bottle that had a dropper top and we opened it up and topped it off with tea tree oil, replaced the cap and shook up the bottle to mix it.

Treat the ear to remove debris, etc with a cotton ball coated in raw tee tree oil, this will clean it all up and be ready to accept the mixture for healing.

Coat a cotton ball with the mixture and clean the ear out.

Take about 10 drops of the mixture inside the ear canal will do it, cap it off with a cotton ball for 15-20 mins until oil is absorbed.

Careful will the rubber topped dropper bottles that are glass. The tea tree oil likes to disintegrate the rubber over time, so you will wind up replacing the dropper top.

HTH!
In the 60-90min since we applied it, Bandits ear has cleared up and a LOT less red and inflamed as it was.

Works like a champ and have been using it for a LOT of years.
BTW, the smell of the tea tree oil can be a bit overwhelming and takes a bit to get used to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ear dramas

The ears of our puppies are a nightmare!

My 9 week old labradoodle has a yeast infection (she came with one from the breeder unfortunately) and the vet has given me 'Epiotic' and special drops as well. My fear is my pup hates this ear treatment, she really makes it hard for us to administor the drops by wriggling with no end and refusing to let us near her ears. I need to do this for 2 weeks.

Once the 2 weeks is over, I'm scared how I'm going to maintain permanent clean ears as she'll be scared for the rest of her life! Do I need to put drops each month for life or each week?
Help!!!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just a thought for Tala to try to make it a better experience for your pup. Give her a treat to concentrate on while doing her ears or smear something sticky that she likes on your leg so she can lick it while you are putting the drops in her ears. That might help her associate the deed with something pleasant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts