Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a citronella contaiment system? It is like the invisible fences, only the dog is sprayed with citronella through the collar when it tries to cross the fence. I know someone who bought the system for $150 and now wants to sell for $100. It would be great if it worked, but I'm not sure about it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have never heard of a citronella system, but it seems like the smell would linger on the dog, which would prolong the unpleasantness beyond the time when he crosses the boundary line. With the electric fence they get the unpleasant shock, and then it is over with. I was concerned it was a mean thing to do to a dog, but I no longer think so. Fred was shocked a few times and then learned where his line was and is now very happy to watch people walk by the house.

We worked with Fred for a few weeks to teach him where his boundaries were, and now is able to spend a lot of time outside. He really enjoys having his own territory--it seemed to give him more confidence, and all of our lives have improved becasue he loves being outside and without the fence could not be out alone. I would recommend the electric system.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I share Ronnie's experience. We have an electric underground fence. Both our doodles learned very quickly to avoid the boundary. The shock is really not awful. I know because I tried it on myself. But you sure don't want to experience it too many times.

I have seen the citronella system used to discourage barking and other unwanted behaviors. It might work for containment, too, but I would think it would depend on the dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts