Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm flying home to be with my family for Christmas. I'm leaving Napa here with Anthony, which we thought wasn't going to be a problem. However, it looks like he might be working full time over the vacation. At the moment, Napa's only been home for at most 5 hrs without being let out. But, with Anthony working for 8 hrs, plus commuting and parking time, so about 9 hrs, we're trying to figure out what to do.

I could still bring him home with me, but that will require him to fly 7 to 8 hrs, or should we look into a doggie daycare? Is 6 months too young for that? I mean he's got all of his shots, including the Bordetella. I can't imagine he'd be ok for 9 hrs. The schedule isn't set into stone yet, but if we need to fly him, I'm gonna have to start working on that.

Thanks,
Kristen

*edit* also, Napa is fine around other puppies and dogs smaller than him... but he gets intimidated by older or bigger dogs. He goes into a flight response, never a fight response, but its just asking for an aggressive dog to attack.... So, should that be taken into consideration when we think about doggie daycare?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Is there anyway Anthony can stop home mid day? We work those types of hours everyday and Dexter would stay by himself 5 days a week for those hours. We were making mid day stops home for quite awhile (until he was ~7 mos old). Not the best situation, but it has worked for us and maybe for Napa (short term) too? Otherwise, maybe Napa could go to daycare for a few of the days?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner started at daycare at 6 months..occasionally. I did find though that as a puppy he wanted to play very rough and he instigated rough play which I think went on for too long.

I think you would need to check out the daycare...they should certainly screen and test the dogs before they are allowed to attend. Will they give Napa time out or nap time. How many dogs and do they separate big from little.

You might also find a pet sitter who could come mid day to take Napa out and play with him.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The pet sitter sounds like a great suggestion. We have several here who will allow you to leave your pets at home, but will come by and walk and feed them whenever necessary. Flying is stressful enough for people these days - I can understand your reservations about taking him with you!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Do you know any children/teens in your neighborhood? Last summer when Charlie was small, the girl next door came over at lunch time to play with and walk him. She was 12 and loved the job. Kids should be out of school for Christmas vacation and looking for some extra cash.

Deb

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would check into daycare a couple days a week while your gone and then maybe have someone check in on him the other days maybe take him for a walk or playtime. At that time you should have kids out of school. Here's an idea call the school and ask if they have a list of kids looking for part time work I know my schools in my area do this, also you can call the Vet and see if they have a young person that would want a few hours a day during that time. I would think you could find someone you could trust him with. Keep us posted, if I were close He could come here and visit! :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would see if he can go to daycare or have someone come in. Generally daycare centers place same size dogs together and they do temperment testing. You could even put him in daycare every other day. I know Boyd is pooped even the day after! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I vote for Daycare over the flight. After reading some of the responses the last time you asked about flying your dog home, I'd feel uncomfortable flying my baby such a long ways.

Also, as for as daycare goes, I know the one near us doesn't allow agressive dogs and if a pup gets a little too rowdy they are put in "time out" to cool off. You probably could even ask the employees to give him a half-hour break every couple hours so he wouldn't get overwhelmed.

There are so many benefits to Anthony dropping him off at daycare while you are gone. I think it might do him some good to have a lot of socialization. He might even like big dogs by the end of the week. Napa going to miss his mama, so all the attention will help to distract him. Finally, Napa will be so sleepy at the end of each day that Anthony will be able to relax and enjoy his evenings.

Just my thoughts...I know it's hard to leave you baby for the first time. Uma was about 7 months the first time I left her and I called everyday (from Italy!) just to check on her.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I forgot to mention that I'm only going to be gone the 19th through the 7th, so we're probably only talking about 5-7 days where Anthony's going to have to work, while I'm not home. Not that that really changes anyone's answers. But it was late when I posted that, and I totally failed a midterm yesterday (but I can replace the grade if I do better on my final, I've just never failed a test that badly before) so I was a little out of it.

Anthony's only got a half hour lunch. And it takes at least 20 mins to walk to his car and drive home, let alone driving back and letting Napa out.

But maybe I'll look into a pet walker. There are always postings in our apartment commons about them.

I would personally LOVE to bring Napa home with me. I think he would have a blast with my parents dog, Striker. I think it would be good for Striker to interact with another dog. And I really want my parents to meet him. He's such an amazing dog, I think it would do my parents and my Mema wonders to meet him. But, I do know what kind of stress that would put on Napa. So, despite how much I want to do it, I know I need to figure out something here first.

So, thanks for the ideas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts