Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our neighbors had a lovely chocolate lab named Cricket who disappeared in the middle of the night a couple of months ago after chasing something towards the river. His owner heard a splash and never saw him again. They were terribly upset. We saw them at a party last night and they told us that they had just gotten a new dog. They said to stop over with Chouette to meet Riley, who's a six-month-old Heinz 57 that they adopted from a rescue organization.

Today it was lovely out and I was looking for an excuse to stop going through the piles of paper and magazines next to my easy chair, so Chou and I went for a walk up the lane with her frisbee. Riley is a real cutie, with perky ears and a small, shorthaired body. They got along beautifully and had a ball playing with the frisbee and chasing each other around. But unfortunately it was low tide, and just as my neighbor was asking me whether Chou ever went into the river we discovered the dogs paddling in the mud down the boat ramp.

We hosed them both off, both of us getting dirty in the process, but marsh mud is persistent. So I took Chou home, having to return once because Riley wanted to follow us. That's the one problem with a playmate so close to home; I really don't want to encourage either to wander since we had so much trouble with their other dogs. But it was so nice to be able to give both dogs a chance to play and work off some of their energy!

When we got home I washed Chou's feet in a basin of water outside, but I still couldn't get her smelling or looking clean. So we went upstairs and I ran the water in the tub. Chou resisted at first but then she adored it. I soaped her paws and legs with some lovely-smelling Neutrogena and it conquered the marsh odor. But then I couldn't keep her out of the tub! When we went back upstairs to rinse it out thoroughly she jumped right back in and I had to be very firm.

She is tired, damp, but fragrant and happy as I type.

This was much easier than the laundry tub, but how DO you clean up the area afterwards??

:roll: Leslie :roll:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Where are the pictures :lol:

Good to hear though, that Chouette likes the bath! That will make things way easier for you for future bathing sessions...!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie I just got done washing all 3 of my doodles hahahhaaa

and i lay down an old tablecloth in the bathroom floor to contain any hair, mud, mess etc .........when done throw wet towels on it and then ball it up and bring to laundry room :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I like Ann Marie's trick better than yours! :wink:

Me for an old tablecloth!

DH is not happy that I figuratively "showed the cat the way to the dairy." He's afraid that either Chou will want to wander or Riley will, and we've had so much trouble with our neighbors' dogs in the past. But I really wanted Chou to have a playmate. I have a friend who keeps talking about getting our dogs together, but it doesn't happen, and Chouette needs more interaction than once every three months, anyway. She's nice and tired now, and I know it was good for her!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I bought a bunch of cheap white bath towels that I use for bathing the dogs. White might sound like an odd choice... but it can be bleached where other colors can't.

Once I'm done I take a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of bleach and water and spray the bathroom down and wipe it up with another doggy towel. I too take the whole mess right to the washer and bleach the whole works right away. This way not only do the dogs get clean, the bathroom gets disinfected as well!

:lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Your story reminds me of Lucky. I gave him a bath and then couldn't keep him out of the tub. Every time I left the door open, he'd jump back in the tup again. LOL!

We used the basement bathtub that no one else uses anymore so I didn't worry too much about the mess. We just threw some old towels down on the floor.

Deb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts