Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I took Chouette to the groomer I had discovered next to our feed store. It's a small operation but the girl seems to care genuinely for dogs and to be concerned about their welfare. She also has other labradoodles she grooms but as I mentioned, she'd never seen one as sweet and calm as Chou and she was amazed by her. Here's Chou afterwards:

and a profile shot

and a very uncomfortable-looking Chouette because she was on the table, which was a novel experience for her.

That's my French tablecloth, which needed washing anyway, and the bird feeder and river in the background, out the window.

It was hard getting a photo of a black dog, indoors, on a rainy day!

I was pretty pleased with this groomer. First of all, when I dropped her off and she checked her out she told me that the reason Chou's ears were so fat at the tips was because they were matted, and she showed me how the fur was all felted. DH and I had been wondering why there was such a difference in the thickness at the bottom edges of those ears! I was going to ask on the forum whether all doodles had thick ear tips. But no, it was matting - who would have thought it! The groomer suggested that it might have happened through their getting wet in her food, or by shaking her head.

When I picked her up again the groomer told me that Chouette doesn't have dry skin - she has fleas! That's why she's been scratching! I wondered about that, but always before with other dogs we could see signs of the flea dirt on their tummies, or we'd see a live one. Or we'd find telltale bites on us. The groomer said Chou didn't have many, and they were probably happy in the thick fur so didn't wander. Here I'd been giving her fish oil capsules. I'll probably keep it up anyway because it can't hurt her, but Michele likes coconut oil better; she thinks it's good for allergies, too.

She plucked Chou's ears very thoroughly, since we still have issues with the left one.

I belatedly gave her the grooming photos; next time I'd like Chou's dome a little less pouffy. She did trim her eyelashes but just a bit to even them out, because I told her I wanted them left long.

She bathed her with citrus shampoo, did an allover trim, did her nails and ears, worked on those ear tips and tried to take off as little as possible but did deal with the mats, and charged me $45. Petsmart was over $70. And when I came to pick her up, Chou wasn't crated but was free in the area where Michele was grooming another dog; it sounded as though they'd been playing, or at least interacting somewhat. I got the impression that Michele had been having fun with Chouette. What a nice feeling!

We got Chou home and I immediately applied some Frontline Plus for the fleas. She's been really wiped out, and I don't know if it was the grooming experience or maybe a reaction to the Frontline. So the photos aren't as perky as usual. But I'm pleased with the results and I made an appointment for eight weeks to do it all again.

Now let's see if the itching stops. Who knew? Of course, maybe the fleas are new and she'd be itching anyway. Neither the vet nor Petsmart said anything about her having little passengers. But Michele said she didn't have dry skin so that wasn't the culprit. We'll have to see...

Leslie

·
Registered
333 Posts
She is gorgeous! I know that her and Chloe are around the same age and I can't wait until Chloe's hair grows back out so full and fluffy! Chou is adorable!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think you have found a great groomer. Chouette look wonderful, so soft and cuddly. Interesting about the fleas. We don't have that in Utah but I know we will in South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Awww... she is absolutely beautiful. Charlie has a similar coat and I can only hope he turns out as good next time. Our groomer also gave him a bit of a puffy head - more poodly - but it flattened in a couple of days.

Deb

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
annieG said:
I think you have found a great groomer. Chouette look wonderful, so soft and cuddly. Interesting about the fleas. We don't have that in Utah but I know we will in South Carolina.
When is the big move to SC happening? Yes, we've had a few experiences with fleas in the past, but nothing major. Garlic and yeast seemed to help our male Irish Setter but that didn't do a thing for his mom.

I don't know if you can tell that Chouette's getting a bit of silver along the front edge of her ears, and her muzzle is turning chocolate.

Also, without all that fluff I could see {gasp!} that she's actually gotten chunky! It was hidden under the fur. I had worried because she doesn't eat much, so I was supplementing. Guess that program's going to stop.

I think I have found a great groomer; hope she stays in business for awhile!

Leslie

·
Registered
333 Posts
River Rat said:
Thanks, Autumn! That's a coincidence: I just ran across a post where you referred to the fact you were keeping Chloe after all, and I had to do a search to find the message where you told Gene that, for more details! I'm so glad! How did that work out?

Leslie
Yes, I am so relieved and she has actually calmed down quite a bit. Of course noone believes me because when they come to my house, she is a wild woman.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DebBrown said:
Awww... she is absolutely beautiful. Charlie has a similar coat and I can only hope he turns out as good next time. Our groomer also gave him a bit of a puffy head - more poodly - but it flattened in a couple of days.

Deb
Thanks, guys! I was thinking that would probably happen with Chouette, too, once it's not quite so fluffy. Usually it separates out a bit, too, once the shock of being washed and cut is over! Charlie does look a lot like Chou.

Leslie

G

·
Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous!!!! She is soooo shiny! Her cut is gorgeous ! I would be so pleased!!!! And the price was excellent!

I was just wondering if I need to keep doing Bella with Frontline thru the winter? She has been scratching a little so maybe one more til it gets really cold here? It's going to be in the 50's tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Leslie, I think I'll print your pics to show my groomer next time. I'd love Charlie's head/face to turn out like Chouette's. :D

Deb

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Deb, I was thinking the same thing! I really love the way she did Chou's muzzle - it keeps the hair out of her eyes without the "baboon" look Tyke had! [/quote]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Chou's groomer did an AWESOME JOB!!! wow! she looks great.
I get the same cut for Peanut but the 'guys' in this house won't let me have her face done.

I love how Chou's face was cut too :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Leslie - Chou looks absolutely great!!! I need to find a place like that near here...the cost at Petsmart is so high, but the girl we use there is so nice and Dex loves her!

Annie - I love your new avitar :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
Leslie - Chou looks absolutely great!!! I need to find a place like that near here...the cost at Petsmart is so high, but the girl we use there is so nice and Dex loves her!

Annie - I love your new avitar :)
our groomer charges $50 which includes bath, cut, ears, nails, rear and tail BUT IF your dog has lots of matts they charge an extra $8

what do you all pay?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We pay something around $70 plus tax, tip for a bath, ear cleaning, fully body cut, blow dry and nail cutting. I wind up tipping generously (she is always so nice to Dex and I normally find her playing w/him when I get there (instead of putting him in a cage)). The worst part is we are there every 8-10 weeks :shock:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
What a great haircut! Wow! Nice job...and I love the fact that Chou was roaming free when you picked her up. (She probably got the fleas at Petsmart!)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts