Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maureen shipped our pup to us yesterday and we picked her up at the cargo depot at Philadelphia International Airport. We heard her yip before we saw her, and it was such a weird sensation to have the fellow bring out a crate with the puppy we'd only seen in photos before! She was smaller than I had expected but just adorable, and only a little damp. She wagged her tail delightedly as soon as she saw us, and our granddaughter, Rosalena, who's ten - the same age as Maureen's Rachael - fell in love immediately. As soon as we got to a grassy area, over the bridge in New Jersey, we took her out and she piddled, to great praise, and then a little while later she started whining, so we stopped again and she had a bowel movement - again to great praise. Her only accident has been in the car after we stopped at the car dealership where my son works, to show her to him.

She slept all night and seemed fine. It was a little hard getting her to settle, but once she did that was it. I tethered her to the leg of my bed and gave her a huge dog bed and some toys; this is my usual routine because then I can tell if a puppy is getting restless and has to go out, or I can pat a lonely little head if necessary. But it was a quiet night, though I woke up frequently to check on her. She got up with me at five and I took her right out and she piddled and had a bowel movement with much fanfare on my part. I took a shower with her yipping a bit and trying to join in the fun, and then put her in her crate. She was quiet in it the first time I used it last night, but the second time she howled. We don't let her out until she's quiet, though.

She's very chewy so I have to watch her carefully. I got her a huge stuffed great blue heron dog toy which I found in a specialty dog shop in Delaware; I had to get it because that's one of my favorite birds. It's soft and plushy but has lovely rope legs for chewing. She loves it and carries it around so proudly!

Here are some pictures of Rosalena and Truffle - we were going to call her Chouette, but even at first I found there was a lot of explaining to do - it's French for "owl", but also is slang for "super" or "cool" as in "trés chouette!" So it looks like Truffle it is!

It's hard to photograph a black fuzzy puppy....

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhh Congrats Leslie!!!! how do you pronounce chouette? she and Rosalena are simply gorgeous !!!

as it may be hard to take photos of black dooodles ( max is black) the good thing though is they don't show dirt :D

thank you for my morning puppy fix!!! keep posting pics :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!! A new doodle owner!!

You do have two beauties there.....many years of happiness to you!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! It's great to finally have my own doodle!

Chouette is pronounced "Shoo-ette" with the accent on the second syllable. My son pointed out that she'd be called "Shoe," which doesn't sound too lovely. In French it's chou, which means "cabbage" and is also a term of endearment, as in "ma petite chou." I wanted to call her Bisous, which means "kisses", but I got the idea from a friend, and she ended up using it for her poodle which she got in the south of France. Weirdly enough, Maureen tells me that one of Truffle's chocolate sisters has been named Bisou! How odd is that?

Here's a photo that shows Truffle's face better, AND the great blue heron toy. I think it's a hoot.

Leslie

·
Registered
333 Posts
Awww, she looks like my baby Chloe. Looks like we will be going through the "childhood" together. Best of luck. My baby is already into everything and those teeth are like little needles!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have blue herons that perch on my trees here...want me to send you one or two? :wink:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gene said:
Welcome to your forever home....Chouette! What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Congratulations once again!!
Actually Truffle won in the name contest. Still not sure it's the best choice, but since we've been using it I think we should keep it. Thanks for the congratulations!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm so proud!

Well, I'm SURE that Leslie's Rosalena and my Rachael would be BEST of friends, if we lived closer!

Leslie's pup was born #8, so we have called her "Ocho" so moving over to "Chou Chou" was very similar and she seemed to respond, but I think TRUFFLE is an adorable name! I have thought of it for a future girl!

I'm so glad that Truffle is happy and has Leslie and Rosalena to love!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Congratulations Leslie on your new addition :D You've got 2 gorgeous girls there :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, everyone! We took her to the lake with us today and I pushed her around on a raft. She fell in once or twice but seemed calm about it all. However, then she started to shiver, even though it was quite hot, so I held her on my lap on a towel and she slept virtually the whole afternoon. She got a bit feisty this evening and kept trying to eat the landscape mulch, but then she conked again. I think I've found the answer to the chewies and the need for constant monitoring - just tire 'em out! She's sleeping on the porch right now while my husband reads the paper. I just hope she still wants to sleep tonight so I can.

Several people at the lake knew of other labradoodles and everyone was charmed by her - of course!

Leslie

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Congratulations on your beautiful little Truffle!!!! She is so cute! I love her little feet and was totally fascinated with them when Raleigh was that little!
Enjoy her while she's this size...they grow so very fast!!! :D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts