·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome SUE and there's a good reason why i posted it
and will add OTHER links re: plants and more

Mary....we held her upside down,,,also did the thrusts to shoulder blades,
gave her the hydrogen peroxide which took 10 min to work

we are still worried and talked to ER , they want us to observe her right now for ...well let's say we're staying up longer than usual tonight

she's doing better but still having a gagging type of motion?
hard to say as it's a cross between swallowed something? OR possible allergic reaction ??

we have benedryl,canned pumpkin, pineapple, pepto bismal all on hand right now...just waiting it out with her

i am wondering as we gave her some peanut butter dog biscuit earlier today that someone in family made....a possibility?

will update in a little while

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Peanut! :( Keep us updated. And thanks for the articles - that information could save a dog's life!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
GEEZ! Could Peanut be allergic to peanuts :shock: Better change her name to Cashew (gazzunheit!). Hope all is well today...best mtd/abby/dr.katz

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: at 2am Peanut finally went to bed with us :D
as we watched her for 4 hours before she seemed better.

I still have no idea what caused her reaction last night Fuzz? white rose blossom that was missing? food? foreign object?

So after a half hour of her acting frantic/anxious
signs: couldnt' sit, jumping and pawing me contstantly, drinking water constantly, and acting like she had hiccups in her thoat and couldnt clear it ---almost like a half gag/half cough, and wanted to be outside.
that can also mean swelling of the throat too.

I induced her to vomit w/2 TBPSN of Hyrdogen peroxide , she improved each hour aftwards, and we didnt' see any foreign items.

i had Dave take over so i could quickly find MORE 1st aid articles and list of poisions and/or toxic reactions along with choking
ask.com used to be askjeeves.com and has VERY HELPFUL for needing info Quick and accurate.

We also talked to ER as well.

IF you have another person around have them HOLD a dog's mouth open for you...you literally have about 1 or 2 seconds to look down their mouth. i even held a flashlight to look the 2nd time ...a dog will try to clamp down more of a reflex and not to intentionally bite.

also IF your dog is having a allergic reaction or something is bronchial or even tonsillitis............Cold air is easier for them to breathe and thats why they want to go out.
BUT not knowing if her thraot was swelling or something was in it,
we had to go the choking route 1st

so NEXT in line is to hold a dog almost upside down and if dog is too Large,
then HOLD up their rear legs high enough so head is lower

lastly there are 2 other maneuvers...when someone is holding dog upside down to give quick thrusts between their shoulder blades but BE CAREFUL

warning : you have to be careful too if putting your fingers down their throat as you can cause damage

NOTE: hyrdogen peroxide will irritate a dog's throat afterwards.
about an hour later we gave peanut canned pumpkin with chopped pineapple as both are digestive aids.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Good news! Glad she's better...m

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
OMG what a an awful, frightening ordeal. One night that I don't log on..how is Peanut doing this AM...How about the rest of your group?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peanut is doing better this morning and finally eating :D
and if she poops good later we should be in the clear

thanks everyone! it was scary but i also learned a few things
on reactions in dogs. Still dont' know what caused it
but if she's fine, i'm happy!!

Peanut just started up again having what is "isolated" episodes
again, but appears fine. ER has me observing her rather than bringing her in.
I am calling VET in the morning! this is worrisome
but she's eating, drinking water, playing , pooping, etc

cannot figure it out and now wonder if a bone chip could be inthere?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So glad to hear Peanut is better this morning. I bet she wasn't the only frantic one!

Thanks for all the information.

Deb

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ann Marie!
This is the first time since our move that I have been back to civilization and had use of a computer...and I am leaving again soon...but I had no idea you were having this worry for Peanut!
I do hope she is better....I suppose that the vet ruled out "reverse sneezing" ...?? That can sound like choking, but really is normal and often just gentle stroking of the dog's neck will ease things.
I have not had a chance to view the video, but I shall! Thanks for posting and please let us know how Peanut is doing!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Glad she is better this morning Annmarie
Keep a watch for what comes out.............
Lots of Happy wishes for a speedy recovery Peanut!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Wow, I was away, so sorry to see Peanut had a problem This happened to Bella a few days ago when she was gnawing on a frozen marrow bone. It had a splintery edge when I took it from her and she was doing the EXACT same thing that Peanut was doing, a heaving- type gagging...no vomiting. While I was racking my brain to see what might help her, she was outside eating as much grass as she could find and gobble. I decided to try giving her a big hunk of bread to help ease it down. After the bread, she seemed fine.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks everyone

and thanks Leslie, as i am sure by tomorrow whatever it might be
should pass thru by then.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hahahaaa well just short while ago

Max did the same as peanut.....started choking on something
he sounded like a canadian goose with a muffled honker!

anyway, held his legs high up in the air, few sharp slaps between the shoulder blades
hahaha if you could have seen max's face when i did this, " waht the hell ya doing mom?"
anyway, bread slice and some water afterwards

he's a ok!! hahhaa

these doodles are like having 3 yr old!!!!
and i have defuzzed all toys and thrown out badly shredded ones
i have NO idea what he ate hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 25 Posts