Labradoodle Forums banner

Do you feel that Choke Chains are okay for training purposes when used correctly?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is kinda long!!!

Okay - I've heard good and bad about choke chains. Some people use them, some people don't.

When my husband and I adopted Ari back in April, he had no clue how to walk on a leash. He would pull us down the street, injured our arms, and just looked like a plain crazy dog! We had him on his collar and a 4' leash - but he would not walk next to us.

Well - Ari has come SO far since then and he can now walk almost perfectly on a leash - all thanks to a choke chain.

When we adopted Ari, his previous owners gave us his choke chain to take, but we swore we would never use it. (We thought it was cruel). Well - once we realized we couldn't even walk him, I decided to do some research on choke chains. Apparently, 50% of people do not know how to properly use a choke chain. There actually is a right and wrong way (I never knew this either!) See below:

So I decided to give the choke chain a shot. I figured if it wasn't working out, I would remove it and try a gentle lead or something similar.

I placed the chain on him (as shown in the correct picture above) and I made sure to keep it high on his neck. When I walked him, I gave a little slack to the chain, but not enough to where it would slide down his neck.

This did the trick! As soon as he started to pull, he realized that it was tightening, so he stopped. He has now learned to walk directly next to me. Because of this, I have more control over him and I can teach him new things while we're walking. He now knows to sit at each corner we come to and wait for traffic to clear. I feel proud to walk him now!

People in our neighborhood who we see us on our walks are impressed and hardly recognize the crazy dog that used to drag me down the street! However, the other day a young man who was outside with his wife, made a rude comment while I was walking Ari and it kind of upset me.

He said "doesn't she know you're not supposed to use choke chains anymore! It's cruel! Look at that poor dog!" (Ari was panting because it was warm and we had been walking for a while - he hadn't even been pulling on the leash). I was shocked by what he said because he said it purposefully so I could hear him. I felt kind of embarassed and almost questioned myself in using the chain on Ari. I went home immediately and have not walked him back around that area in the neighborhood.

So what do you think? Is it wrong for me to walk Ari on the choke chain? He's a perfect walker when it's on, and it has helped us tremendously. We do not keep the chain on him at home or anywhere else - we specifically use it for walking.

And I know that what works for some doesn't always work for others. I just want to know... how do you feel about choke chains? Am I wrong for using one?[/i]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Many suggest if you are going to use a "choke" chain to use a prong/pinch instead. Lincoln came with a prong and while we did use it at first we have decided to walk him with a martingale so one day he can use a basic collar. In just a week he is improving on leash walking. Of course, he isnt as "good" as when he was using the prong but it will just take a little patience from us and him.

Everything i have read so far though has stated prong over the chain choke though
Michele

·
Registered
162 Posts
I personally think each dog is different and what they respond to is different. Choke chains have a bad rap because dogs catch them on something or they were used improperly and injured the dog.

The end result (as you've illustrated) is a dog that doesn't lunge out into traffic and endanger the dog or it's owner, so in my book that is a positive.

While there is a well known and publicized 'too harsh' end of the spectrum, IMHO there are pet owners that are 'too weak' and end up with unruly and dangerous dogs because they can't stand the puppy eyes that you get once in awhile when you put on the choke or pinch collar. Then the dog gets whacked on the road because they were never trained to come NOW when the owner calls, not when they feel like it.

Like I said though, every situation is different.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You have found a great solution that has worked for you. There's no need to be intimidated by some stranger on the street. People make thoughtless comments without stopping to understand the situation. But you don't owe him anything, let alone an explanation, so don't let it bother you.

As far as choke collars are concerned, I think people recommend against them because they can be dangerous if used incorrectly. (Frankly, I can't see the difference the pictures posted.) I prefer using a harness instead so that there is nothing pulling against Charlie's neck.

Deb

G

·
I use a cotton lead that is pretty much like a cohoke chain. I thought they were mean and unneccesary until my trainer put Maya on one. The difference was night in day in 5 mins. She showed us the proper way to use it and also suggested a snake choke chain. It is very skinny so it releases much quicker than a regular chain. (Maya uses a leash collar combo thing.)

Anyway the difference in the pics above.....Look at the position of the ring and the chain coming out of it. In the right way the chain is on top. If done this way the chain releases and doesn't stay tight. Basically we were taught to put that collar on you make a P and then slip the collar over the dogs head.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I highly recommend a Martingale collar over a choke chain
it works the same but is gentler to the neck and to the fur
I will never use a choke collar again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nancy right now we are just using our greyhounds on Lincoln however are there different sizes for these? It tends to fall a little down his neck which is funny cause his neck is bigger then our greyhounds :lol:

michele

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am using the pinch collar on Max when training in public but soon we're go to a regular collar

Max is learning alot and soon i will test him to train as well without a pinch collar
but if taught intially how to correctly use the pinch collar, well it worked wonders with max keeping his focus on me, not pulling or getting over excited in public stores etc and with no treats either for training

i pray i can get him on his regular collar soon as there are 2 childrens programs at our hospital in the cardiac and cancer unit he could add so much happiness too in the future.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The Martingale comes in differnt sizes even small enough for a tiny pup
Here is a website i found that shows the way they look and the different colors
I know what you mean about the greyhound collars, they are just like them just not as wide
dont get the ones with the chain just the nylon kind
I prefer the priemere martingales over any others
So much so i provide the first collar with all my pups that leave here

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Before I even read anyone else's view on this, I just say No.
Our trainers refuse to let us use them. In their opinion, they delay the real traning process.....and I agree.
We were taught how to pop a normal collar on the back of the neck when the dog pulls or lunges. It works.
Now.....I'll go read and see how everyone disagrees.......hahahaha!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Okay, I don't have a dog yet.....but I wanted to comment on the part about how everyone has unique situations and not to worry about what other people say.

Before I had kids, I used to think parents who put their children on harness leashes were freaks! I thought it was cruel. My first child was a dream and never strayed away from us. Then came our second!!! What a difference!!! She was a runner!! And since mine are only 14 months apart, there was no way I could go out in public and keep track of both if one kept hightailing it away from me.

So, I got one of those harness things and it made life so much easier AND SAFER for my daughter. I got some very nasty looks but the safety of my children was way more important than some strangers comments.

Do what is best for you and your dog. You are obviously a caring owner and have taken the time to learn the proper way to use the collar. And, like my daughter, the time will come when that type of restriction is no longer necessary!!! (Until she hits puberty, and then we may go back to the harness!!!! ) LOL :lol:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I voted no. The biggest problem I see is that people don't spend the time to train the dog and end up using a harsher and harsher collar. When I see a prong collar on a toy dog, it just burns me up. Come on - you can't tell me you need one for a 5 pound dog! :x

Now that I've vented, I can totally understand the need for a tool to start training with. When you have a 30 pound dog pulling you around, you know you have a problem. With the high energy needs of these Doodles, you need a way to be able to start training/exercising.

If you choose to use a choke/prong collar, please make sure that you follow the proper proceduresand use it correctly. The choke collar is supposed to work by the sound the chain makes not the "choking" of the dog.

My previous dog, Lulu was a committed puller. I refused to use the choke collar because she did not understand that the end of the leash was painful. So If I put the choke collar on she would have pulled hard to the end of the leash/collar and possibly hurt her neck.

I used to deal with a Horse pulling on the end of a long line so I figured I could handle the 40 pound dog. No choke collar for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We use a pinch collar with Rosie. I think I posted about her pulling/lunging to go meet other dogs who were out and about. Once we started using the pinch collar she stopped. She can now walk calmly at my side and I don't have to worry about being knocked over. I am 4 1/2 months pregnant so I am going to be a little more wobbly on my feet soon and I'm glad we found a solution to the pulling. People are always going to have something to say. I do what is best for my family and that includes Rosie. :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
My vote is that whatever works for your dog is the best. I know those types of colars aren't mean (pinch/choke), but I'm a softie and can't bring myself to use them. That doesn't mean it's not ok or the best option for others.

·
Registered
434 Posts
well, I bought a choke chain for Calvin when he was a pup because he was out of control on walks and getting bigger and stronger every day. I was careful to use it correctly, but he would still pull right through it! Of course, as soon as you let slack in the chain it goes back down across his throat and he would pull again. Lots of coughing. I was afraid I was damaging his trachea so I quit using it. We use the gentle leader because it works. I say use whatever works!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I, too, thought pinch collars and choke chains were cruel. But when DH took Cody to obedience class, they recommended a pinch collar and leather leash, so Cody got both. I was not thrilled, but I trusted DH to make the right decisions when it comes to Cody because he's owned a dog before and I haven't. The difference was INCREDIBLE! I no longer got pulled around the block on walks. I no longer had a dog who would cough and sometime puke because he'd pull so hard on the normal leash. I had a dog that would walk with me. It was a wonderful change and I was sold.

Don't listen to what other people say if what you're doing is working for you. You know what's best for you and your dog.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If used properly, the choke collar is a very useful tool in training your dog. It is used to train, not for a just around the house collar. The thing is you don't let them pull with the choke. You correct them before they start to pull with a sudden jerk of the collar, called "popping" the collar. It's the sudden "pop" of the collar that gets the attention of the dog and causes it to pay attention to you and your commands. If your dog is pulling with a choke on, then the collar isn't being used correctly.

If you do have a puller, position the collar high on the neck, right behind the ears. You will be amazed at the difference in the control you have with your dog.

If you are afraid of choking your dog or causing harm to it, then try the Martengale type. You don't have to buy the name brand, there are a few knock off's out there. It won't tighten as far as a choke, but it will give you the "pop" effect. And you can still put it right behind the ears to give you the control if you need it. And there isn't a wrong way to put it on.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I used them with success back in the 80's however I used to add chain making them super long so the sound of the chain made the correction WITHOUT choking the dog. Add 1 foot of chain to the stock collar and pop it yet stop short of tightening the collar choking the dog using the SOUND ONLY. Clear as mud... :roll:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It's supposed to be the sound that gets the attention, not the choking.

Gentle leaders weren't invented when I was training dogs for obedience trials. They aren't allowed in the ring now either, so I don't use one.

We can't use a regular collar even around the house, we use a Martingale type. Cinnamon has learned to unbuckle any type of collar, plastic buckle or metal.
:roll:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts