Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know chocolate is poisonous to dogs, and that's why I'm checking in to see what everyone else thinks about this..
I found Rowen about 30 minutes or more ago in a room munching on some chocolate that had been in an open jar- they were milk chocolate hershey kisses and not very many- I'd say at the most 20, much more likely around 10. I immediately tried giving him a tsp of salt which was recommended and of course he didn't like it, so we eventually found the ipecac and gave him a tsp of that.. It's been about 15-20 minutes now and Rowen still hasn't thrown up anything. He is about 38-40 lbs.. I've read that it probably takes about 3 or 4 lbs of chocolate for a dog of his size, but still of course I'm worried.
He seems to be alright, although he seems a tiny restless although he's probably just be responding to the fact that I'm so worried... any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-Sally (and Rowen)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
I don't suppose you have any charcoal tablets? Charcoal evidently absorbs the food in the tummy and prevents absorption. We always keep in on hand for chocolate emergencies.

My 45 pound standard poodle once ate about 1/4 pound of fudge. She survived with no adverse effects. That's the first time we went to the pharmacy for charcoal.

I'm betting Rowen will be fine. Too bad the ipecac didn't take. I don't know how fast that should work.

Deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
The vet nurse who ran puppy pre-school said milk chocolate is fine. Dark chocolate is really really bad for dogs. In fact, she showed us a drawer full of mini mars bars and snickers etc. She said one of the vets gives them to the doggies as a treat. I'm a bit puzzled too as I've heard and read that any chocolate is bad for dogs. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
I'd prob check with Vet if he doesnt get sick from Ipecac and shows any of the signs of toxcicity listed

I cant imagine a vet giving dogs chocolate :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all so much for the information!
it really calmed my nerves, phew!
Rowen seems to be doing fine, just sleeping on the bed.. typical haha!
once again, thank you!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,619 Posts
I believe it also depends on the dog and their total health. My old cocker Peche ate most of a fancy gift basket of assorted fancy chocolate and marzipan cookies along with hard candy....etc....about 1.5#'s of eat. My vet said pepto and watch him, and keep him close to the door.... :oops: He was 13 at the time and except for beautifully colored stinky runs,,,,he was fine. Contact the vet and just watch closely....good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
We have friends that have a lab mix that ate a whole bag of Kisses, wrappers and all. They were really worried, but every thing came out in the end - and I mean everything. He had sparkling poop from the foil for a week!
:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
one of my papillons in past ate a whole milk chocolate bar i had hidden
he was totally fine ....he also once ate sudafed and teal colored poop for 2 days! hahhaaa and my bluetick coonhound used to eat the neighbor's kids milkway every weekend :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Hi,

When I was growing up we had a 15 lb mutt who ate chocolate constantly. We didn't have a clue it was toxic. In fact, I remember our family being out one time, only to come home to an entire counter full of easter chocolate gone! My dog ate everything including the paper - and was fine!

But, my girlfriend recently had to have her bichon-shitsu's stomach pumped when he ate a family sized bag of m&m's. He was very very sick but turned out fine. So I guess it all just depends.

One thing I would maybe suggest....do you have a POISON LINE you can call? I know up here in Canada we do and I bet because it is a common thing to happen, they would have some good information for you even if it's for a dog. Our poison line is a wealth of information. Maybe worth a try?

I'm sure all will be ok, especially with you being on top of things. But I send hugs and prayers just in case.

lily
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
again thank you all so much!
Rowen slept soundly through the night and his usual self today, bouncy and full of fluff :D
It seems he was not affected at all by the chocolate, luckily.. I guess it's really only dark chocolate you have to worry about to the extreme.. and luckily it was milk chocolate Rowen ate. Funny thing is, he managed to unwrap the hershey kisses and eat the chocolate on the inside.. How is this even possible without thumbs!!! I came upstairs to find all the wrappers and none of the chocolate.. what!! hahah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
HE spit out the wrappers? hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
Funny thing is, he managed to unwrap the hershey kisses and eat the chocolate on the inside.. How is this even possible without thumbs!!! I came upstairs to find all the wrappers and none of the chocolate.. what!!
That is tooo funny!! Smart little doodlebug!! HaHa!!
I'm so glad he's okay!!
I was watching my neighbors dog one night before Christmas a few years ago. My job was just to go over and let him out throughout the day.
I went in about an three hours after they left and he had eaten 6 boxes of chocolates they had wrapped.
That dog was sooooooo sick!! Vomiting and diarrhea. I immediately called the neighbors and they rushed him to an all night ER vet.
He survived, but wow was he sick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
rowendoodle said:
Funny thing is, he managed to unwrap the hershey kisses and eat the chocolate on the inside.. How is this even possible without thumbs!!! I came upstairs to find all the wrappers and none of the chocolate.. what!! hahah
What a dog! Maybe unwrapping the kisses slowed him down a bit? Just think how much he could have eaten if he didn't mind the foil. ;)

Glad to hear he is doing fine.

Deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Glad to hear Rowen is doing well.

My old lab "found" (yeah, he snatched them off the counter) a whole package of Oreo cookies .... those really big double big packages from Costco. He ate the whole package. I called the vet in a panic and she said just to watch him closely for the next day or two.

He had the runs but he ended up being fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I hope he is ok after the kisses.

This reminds of my old dog. One christmas I had a bag of those holiday kisses (wrapped in red and green foil) on my nightstand. It was just there, and I didnt even realise my dog had stolen it until i started seeing red and grean foil around the house haha, I folloved the trail and there she was so happy in her crib eating chockolate kisses. And it is amaising how she did not eat any of the wrapping hehe. Luckily she did not aet that much though, and she was perfectly fine after this.. and still is, hehe she is living with my parents but I was living there too when I first got her, so it is like a second home to her :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Dulcie has eaten loads of different kinds of chocolate in the past and never had any kind of reaction - I wish she would at least throw up so it would put her off pinching the stuff. She sat & cried at a chest of drawers for ages the other night, then we realised it was cos there was a small box of ferreo rocher's (small nut & choc clusters in gold wrapping) in there!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top