Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back yesterday from a long weekend backpacking trip and picked up Chisos from her Aunt Susan's house. She was pretty tuckered out from four days playing with 2 dogs and 2 boys. So I tried an experiment. Instead of crating her for the night, I invited her into the bedroom. She slept all night, and I woke her up this morning to get ready for work.

She'll be 6 months old at the end of the month.

Next challenge: phase out the exercise pen. Don't know when I want to start that task. I've sometimes left her alone in the house for up to 20 minutes, but I'm reluctant to go for much longer. I wonder how doodles adapt to a switch in their crating times, from night to day?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh how cute!!! I want to give her a big hug!!

We didn't start letting Dexter stay alone for any period of time (not confined) until closer to 1 yr...however that was for VERY short periods of time (15 min). Once we got Kirby, we found they are happy hanging out together on the sofa in the front window and gradually we increased their alone (non confined) time (we're up to 5.5 hrs now) :)

P.S. Dex adapted to sleeping in our bedroom very well...almost too well :wink:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Poor Toby. He's 2 and still can't be trusted. I have found, however, that when I give him too much freedom he gets very tired and goes back to nap in his crate.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jeff, it varies from doodle to doodle. I just have to comment that Chisos gets prettier every picture you post. I want so bad to smooch that little liver nose!! :wink:

PS: Thanks for the new desktop!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am hoping to phase out the ex pen as well when Chloe returns. Good luck with this and let me know how it goes. I am hoping that Chloe will be a bit more trustworthy after her ordeal at the trainers :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Congrads. I am glad that worked. Take baby steps. That is what we have done.

·
Registered
260 Posts
our 2-year-old doodle got really freaked out when we tried a few times leaving him home alone and not in the crate. we tape recorded him while we were out, and the barking and howling was just amazing! when we crate him, he never makes a peep. so, we gave up on that plan. sometimes i guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-em

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
our 2-year-old doodle got really freaked out when we tried a few times leaving him home alone and not in the crate. we tape recorded him while we were out, and the barking and howling was just amazing! when we crate him, he never makes a peep. so, we gave up on that plan. sometimes i guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
at least i'm not the only one taping them :) I agree...every dog is different. Some dogs prefer the safe feeling of their crate.

G

·
Maya had free rein at 7 mos and has not destroyed anything to date and she is coming up on 12mos. She hates being confined though so I think she is extra good so the big bad crate doesn't make an apperance!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bailey slept on my bed (and through the night) from Day 1 (9 weeks old). She was kenneled during the day when I wasn't home up until about 8 months. She's had the roam of the house ever since. The only time she gets into anything is if I leave paper within her reach. Otherwise the worst of it is about half the time I'll come and my bed will be unmade.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Good job Chisos
Really depends on the Doodle
Denver has had free roam since 10 or 11 months old
but he does have nine cats to keep him in line or visa versa

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon was given her freedom at 10 months I think. It's been a while, so I'm not sure. She was only crated when we were gone, though. We tried to crate her at night, but we couldn't sleep with all the crying going on, so she's been in the bedroom, not crated, since day 3 with us (that's been over 3 yrs ago). She didn't cry in the crate when we were gone, just at night when she knew we were there but she couldn't get to us. She's a people dog for sure.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Chisos is a doll!!! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chisos is adjusting to nightlife in the bedroom quite well. She apparently likes to sleep UNDER my bed, even though there's almost no room under there. When I woke up this morning, I saw her nose and one paw sticking out from under the dust ruffle. The rest of her was safely hiding under the bed. She shimmied out when it was time to go potty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today was a big day -- no more Xpen. I've been gradually increasing Chisos' unconfined time and she has handled her new freedom with flying colors. No destruction. No accidents. No surprises. She's 6 1/2 months old now and has spent up to 3 hours on her own. Usually, I find her asleep in her open crate!

So now I've folded up her Xpen, where I've been confining her when I've been gone since she came home in December. I might get my dining room back if she keeps being a good BIG girl!

·
Registered
204 Posts
We've just started leaving Abbey at home without confining her to the kitchen. Two or three times this week we left her for a couple of hours with free run of the house. It has been hot we can't take her in the car since you can't leave her in with the heat. As best we can tell she sleep on our bed while we were gone. Not even getting up to greet us when we returned! She loves to grab and run while we are home, but without an audience, she seems to rest! She is 9 months old. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Chisos is sooooooo cute!

For extended periods, we were leaving them gated in the kitchen area until Della learned to jump the gates although nothing bad happened, I don't want to push my luck.
We now leave Lucas (almost 10 months) and Della (almost 4 months) in the house with free run for short periods of time so far up to 3 hours and all has been good... but I do make sure they have had plenty of excersize before I do this.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Even though Denver has free roam of the house
we have kept his crate in the living room where it has
always been. When we leave for work he goes in there(his choice)
but when we come home he is always on the couch......
He loves the security of it and the fact that it is left open...........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts