Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone, sorry for all the questions but i am new to this whole puppy thing and am finding it much harder than i imagined even with the mountains of prepatory reading i have done.

I would really like to get little scout to enjoy her own company, and i have been reading that by feeding her all her food via a stuffed chew toy, they become 'chewtoyaholics' and when she gets older it will assist greatly in reducing the destructive tendencies of digging and barking when left alone.

My problem is this. I have stuffed the chewtoys with everything from kibble and freeze dried liver, i've smeared the inside with honey and peanut butter, but she just doesn't really seem that interested.

Does anyone, firstly agree with this method of preparing a puppy for time alone and secondly have any good recipes or ideas for getting her interested in these chew toys?

I'd love to be able to show you a picture of little scout but can't manage to work out how to do it. Sorry.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks[/img]

·
Registered
260 Posts
hi there. i can't remember if you said in another post how old Scout is. when our Kumo was a young puppy, we started out by making his kongs so that they were pretty easy to "un-stuff". that way he didn't have to work very hard to find out that the kongs have yummy food inside. it was like he had to learn what he was supposed to do with them. we gradually made them more and more difficult to empty so that they would keep him busy for longer. we don't feed him all his food this way, though.

something else to note is that dogs don't really need to be constantly entertained -- they don't seem to have the same awareness of the passage of time as humans do. you don't need to worry about making sure your puppy has something to do the entire time you are leaving her alone -- she'll probably sleep for a lot of that time anyway. it is good to leave something in the crate with her for her to chew on if she gets the urge to chew, and the kong will serve that purpose.

-em

·
Registered
134 Posts
The stuffed kong things doesn't really work with Sam either. He plays with it while I'm around but when I leave, he's not that interested. I suspect that Sam is not that motivated by food. Praise seems to work just as well on him. I do still use the occasional treat. Btw, frozen liver treats makes his poos a bit soft so I tend to avoid them. I use his daily rations of puppy biscuits as treats. This way, I don't end up with porky doodle. I'm learning that with Sam, variety really is the spice of life. He gets bored with individual toys and I swap them with another. I too am trying to make Sam into a chewtoyaholic. So far, he's not chewed anything destructively. The crate training helps with that. Sam does not wander around the house unless I can supervise him directly. Generally, he will sit at my feet or close to me with one of his chew toys that I happen to leave out for him at the time.

Incidentally, I totally agree with the idea of teaching Sam how to enjoy his own company. That is still a work-in-progress. I'm also a first time dog owner so am feeling my way through this experience. It will get easier soon as long as you stick to some basic rules and enforce them consistently.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
welcome Speno....and how old is Scout ?

in our house KONGS are no longer filled since we have 3 doodles
Max 18mos old, peanut 17mos and Beau almost 6mos

things like the KONG and teh grab bab assortment of toys all take their turn being the Favorite ONE for let's say a month, then one day it gathers dust again.
it's like history, keeps cycling and repeating itself.

NOTE: do not throw out defuzzed toys, they like these the best :shock:

as far as entertaining themself, you could do a 30min "lie down" settle like they had us do in training. It does help in more ways than one.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter was not interested in his kong when he was really little...we started by playing fetch with it and he was interested how it bounced in so many different directions. Then we would stuff a treat biscuit so it was sticking out the end (and can be pulled out). Give it some more time. Ours will just play with them empty now, but we also stuff them with something when we leave for work.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've never heard or read anything about feeding all food via a stuffed chew toy. Nicky has a Kong, which I sometimes stuff with kibble, PB, and treats. He takes no time at all to get the goodies out of the Kong and then will have nothing more to do with it. He never chews the Kong itself. I don't think he likes chewing rubber! He much prefers fabric.

When I leave the house for any period of time, Nicky is inside. He has never been left outside while I'm gone. When he was younger I crated him, but now he's left free in the house. I think he just sleeps while I'm gone. He hasn't been destructive in the two months or so that he's been roaming free. I don't give him any food or treats to eat while I'm not home, but he does have a bowl of water.

I don't make a big deal about leaving or coming home, so it's just not a traumatic experience for Nicky.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh yeah - we don't use the kong to feed them - just as a treat. Sometimes I will fill the kong with wet dog food and freeze it but this is just an extra treat and not their main food.

I have heard of people filling multiple kongs with food and having the doodle search for it while they're alone so the dog works for their food. I don't know if it is good or bad though...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we've had Beau since 10/28/07 2 days ago he took a liking to the kong teether thing and bounces it all over then lays with it.
and i know in another few weeks it might collect dust again only to be liked later on again. hahhahahaa

they go back and forth on what toy they like EXCEPT peanut, the massacred duck and moose are her favorites still :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts