Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is it safe to let a puppy have the run of the house? my last two dogs I had no problem with, they were good to leave at home alone. The labradoodle I am not sure, as I have heard a lot of stories about their conduct, and distructive behaviour

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Angie! I don't think anyone can answer your question better than you can. I have two doods. George could very well be given the run of the house by about 6 months, but Grace needs a lot more supervision than that. They are both smart and well behaved but Grace still has a pretty urgent need to chew. Even with lots of kongs and stuff to chew on, she still will go after an electrical cord or something on the kitchen counter. She is maturing in this regard, but more slowly than George, so for the moment, she is still totally supervised (10 mo.) or else in her crate or outside.

If you let your dood in the house while you're close by, start leaving the room for short periods and see how he does. Then give him more and more time alone, until you're sure he can handle it. If he's not ready, just wait a while and try again later. The time will come! (And then you'll miss the mischievous puppy stage!)

·
Registered
164 Posts
How old is the puppy??

I dont have a direct answer, but when we got Leno at 9 months old he wasnt a chewer. And he still isnt. He doesnt get into much actually, sometimes the trash bin.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are very lucky!!!!!!!!!! Otto is 10 weeks old and chews everthing and any body. We dare not leave him for a minute alone, when not in his crate. My last two dogs were never crated, and were left alone as we then worked, I never had this problem with them. I dont know if this breed of dog is a good one or not, as no one seems to know enough about them. BUT we love him with his faults and he does entertain us. Can I share this with you all, today he made me laugh he went in the garden to pee! and as a puppy he does not lift his leg but croches, his head was bent under to look to see where the pee was coming from. :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gus is almost 10 months old and he has to be watched like a hawk. He'll be laying on his bed surrounded by soft toys, squeaky toys, hooves, pressed rawhide, you name it and he'll still go for a flip flop or a hair clip on a daily basis. It isn't just personal stuff either. A couple of months ago he got into the cabinet under the sink and tried to eat a lightbulb.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think it is unfair to claim the breed as a whole has chewing problems or not. I really think it depends on the individual dog. I had a lab growing up that wouldn't chew or take anything that was not hers, and then I had one that chewed everything in sight- glass Christmas ornaments, my mom's adoption papers, etc. They just had totally different personalities, even though they were the same breed. One of my dogs now doesn't chew anything and I trust her in the house completely. I trust Duke when we're home, but I am not comfortable leaving him alone in the house for more than 30 min. yet because I don't want him to eat anything that will harm him. It will come with age. I waited until Summer was 9 months until we started to leave for very short trips. Duke is almost 10 months and we have left him for no more than 15 minutes. I think it also helps to leave stuffed kongs and treats out so they have something to do!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
54 Posts
My boys love their everlasting treat balls. It takes them several days to get all of the treat out and it is one of the few things that can hold Gus' attention for longer than 10 minutes or so. The ball itself and the treat refills are quite expensive at Petsmart so I buy them online. My parents dogsat for me last weekend and they couldn't believe how focused the boys were on the their treat balls. Since the refills are $4 a pop, I try to save this toy for crate time and special occasions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts