Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we got Riley, he has pulled things out of garbage cans and chewed on them. Not only is he making a big mess, I'm worried he might swallow something that could harm him. The one thing he loves to chew most (which is very disgusting) are used pads and tampons. We always discipline him when we catch him, but he still continues to raid the garbage cans. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had these problems with their doodles?

-Lauren

G

·
I use garbage cans with lids. I got them pretty cheap at Target. I also spray the one Maya most likes to get into with bitter apple spray and that seems to keep her out for a day or two.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I put a cookie sheet on top of the garbage can and when it came clattering down it scared Rosie and she hasn't touched it since.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would invest in garbage cans with lids or shut the door to the bathroom door...trust me, you don't want to risk Riley eating something he shouldn't!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I agree LIDS and if they dont keep Riley out, the metal pan on top of can works for most dogs
Also keeping bathroom doors closed and if you have space, keep trash can under sink with childproof latch on door also works - ultimately you do want to teach Riley to stay out of all trash cans so the metal pan on lid of can might work to teach Riley trash cans or off limits

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We try to keep the door close, because my nephew lives with us (17 mths old) but some how he finds a way to get garbage :roll: Well, I will definitely try the baking sheet on top, hopefully it'll work. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
garbage

I have had the same problems with Bodzin.... but I now no longer put my feminine products in an open can.
By the way.... if your pup eats a tampon.... give him a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide mixed with a small bit of water as soon as you figure it out. He will vomit it up within 10 minutes.... I know from experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts