Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It used to be kind of cute that Toby "sucked his thumb" - - not so any more. Any suggestions? He eats the hair off of one back leg (just one). He had what looked like a tiny pimple there once and vet scraped it. No mites, or anything???? Now he has most of the leg naked. No skin irritation, just missing hair. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is it the front paws too? Paw chewing can be a symptom of allergies. Dogs can be allergic to many things like wheat, corn, dairy, lamb, chicken, beef etc. Its hard to know what the cause is unitl you do an elimination diet.

We just switched Sammy to a low-allergy food (Natural Balance Duck and Potato-- the duck is a protein source that most dogs have not been exposed to which is why its good allergy food) for this reason. Now the ONLY thing she gets is this food. We have the kibble, the treats and the canned food (just to freeze in her kong) and this is ALL she is getting. I even am going to ask the Vet for a non-chewable heartguard.

We're hoping it helps! Her back legs are going bald! She must be miserable... but they say you wont see an improvement for a few weeks. The upside is that she LOVES the food! Scarfs it down WAY faster than she did the Nutro. So thats a good thing.

If thats not it I am not sure about any other reason...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it could be allergies. It is just the one leg. He eats EaglePack Lamb and Rice because of his tummy condition and it is one of the highly recommended allergy foods as well. Will you please let me know how the duck and potato works for you? So Sammy has lost hair on both back legs? Does she chew on them? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
My Bayley did that to one foot, the top of her paw was hairless, raw and bleeding because of her licking...I worried and checked the internet resources...I was afraid that she was getting a compulsive disorder (yes, they do get them.)
But on closer inspection (after checking UNDER her paw many times) I looked between her toes on the TOP and she had a small dirt clot stuck in betweeen her toes...not a big one...but bad enough that it bothered her.
Now, granted, your pup can't have a dirt clot on his leg...but when you said he had little bumps there, I suspect that something is going on with that one leg. (Perhaps a small thorn, sticker or sliver?) Maybe you could get a magnifying glass and take a look...just a thought.
I'd suggest checking into a canine dermatology...maybe it is something simple. I hope so.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If any dog is allergic to grass, poor old Toby probably will be. I'm gonna try to look at it with a magnifying glass and try to find something. I do appreciate all of the advice. He doesn't have any apparent raw spots at all, but now almost the whole leg is bare. It seem he does it when he's bored, but................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts